TOMSUN'S JB STARION - Updated 25.5.2014

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Air filter is a Stainless Steel pod filter that now gets cold air, sitting behind the slot of the air dam. Proflow from VPW, thanks Aaron for organising that.

P/S reservoir pipework was simpler and it fits there.

Took it for a drive today with no exhaust. Loud!!! Taking it to Liverpool exhaust tomorrow. 3" Single straight through glass packed muffler and a 3" pipe kicking out just in front of the RHS rear tyre. Hope they can get it quiet enough.
1985 JB Starion #157
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

We should have ordered up a muffler at the same time!
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Nice work, Pete.

When is it hitting the dyno?

Time to get the usual suspects together and have another cruise?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

TOMSUN wrote: 3" Single straight through glass packed muffler and a 3" pipe kicking out just in front of the RHS rear tyre. Hope they can get it quiet enough.
Looking forward to seeing this. Is that "Legal" in NSW?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Awesome stuff! Looking forward to seeing how much better it goes with that turbo, would love to see a SOHC cranking out numbers in the high 200's range :).
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

ProZac wrote:Awesome stuff! Looking forward to seeing how much better it goes with that turbo, would love to see a SOHC cranking out numbers in the high 200's range :).
Zac Kit and OF's single cams have cracked the 300 hp barrier :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Ended up getting a full 3" exhaust. From Liverpool Exhaust as what I had in mind would have been too loud.

Mild steel pipe work, 3" Resonator (Stainless) at the front and a 3" straight through oval, stainless, glass packed at the rear. Plain stainless tip. Painted in high temperature paint. Got 90mm clearance at it's lowest point going past the rear cradle.

Price was 650 or 600 cash when I dropped it off. Then when I went to pick it up was was 700 or 650 cash. After a 'discussion' I ended up paying 600 cash, but it kind of took the niceness off getting a new exhaust.

Sounds great. Sounds solid without being too loud and annoying. Turbo is loud spooling up and compressor surge, need to get a good BOV.
1985 JB Starion #157
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Fire up the digi camera and get some footage of that exhaust and compressor surge :).
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Booked in for a Tune at JEM (Ingleburn) Tuesday 5th Feb.
Have refitted my old Otomoto Plumb BOV that vents to atmosphere (sounds weird, but ok).

Got a problem with my ignition at the moment. Need new coil packs.

1985 JB Starion #157
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Ack, that looks a bit nasty.

Is it possible your leads havent been making proper contact with the coils, and sparks have been jumping around in there causing the problems? I noticed on my coils I'll have to get some pretty deep-reaching end put on the leads to make contact.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Yeah, I'd be inclined to get some new leads while your at it pete.

Normally I would say magnecore, but they no longer exist, so go MSD, eagle or ICE.
The Forum Parts Guy

TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I just spoke to Wayne from M&W and he said that it more than likely the leads that have done it. I have a feeling they weren't set at the correct depth.

I have a new set of leads ready to go on and new M&W coil packs on their way.
1985 JB Starion #157
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Looks like one of the coil packs lamination blocks was a a bit loose and creating a tapping sound on my firewall. Thanks to the support from Wayne from M&W Ignitions. And John for phone tech support. :beer

I have postponed the tune to sort a couple of things:

1) Need a new BOV as it looks like my old one has a boost leak. I'm thinking a Tial Q Recirc?? Also thinking of moving it to the other side of the intercooler and having it about 300mm in front of the throttle body (currently 400mm after the turbo outlet.

2) Upgrade the firmware in the EMS 8860. Sequential injection, closed loop and "flex-fuel" improvements.

3) Thinking of adding an EMS "Flex Fuel" in-line sensor ($180) that sensors the ethanol content and allows running a 2nd map in the EMS 8860 to run E85. But looks like I would need a bigger fuel pump and and injectors (currently 4x550cc). Would allow upping the boost and potentially making more power.... Is it worth the hassle

It really does feel like the never ending project. Maybe I should keep it simple and just get it back on the road.... :roll:
1985 JB Starion #157
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Good to see you supporting Aussie industry & they are supporting you.

That is one thing people dont realise with cheap BOV's, they arnt made with the tight tolerances, that a Tial, Turbosmart etc are made. But why not just put a Tial Q on it & hide it?

The Flex Fuel idea is a good one, BUT, be warned, it wont just be a new pump and injectors (you will need atleast 1000's). But E85 is one of the best cleaners I have every seen, so if there is any corrosion in your tank or the hard lines, it will push it through to the filter/injectors.

If it was me, I would do it. As you can buy E-Flex from the caltex near you & E85 from the United near me.
The Forum Parts Guy

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if you an run both, definately do it - budget allowing of course!

Mind you, 1kcc injectors will perhaps not give the best idle, so maybe you need twin rails? :twisted: More tech support from John lol

would you have to empty the tank before switch the fuel though? If they mix, would the ecu have dramas choosing the right map? This is interesting
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol