I couldn't afford a Starion so this is what I have..

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

lol it still gets hot and humid in summer here, air con definitely comes in handy.. also for our winters where we actually go below 10C (you pansys) so air con comes in handy for instantly demisting the windscreen and front windows. All my cars have air con and I can say I use it frequently. Also having working air con on the Eterna adds to the novelty.. how cool is it that a 1980 car sports all those features?
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Love your work, great to see someone who actually gets things done quickly!

Whatever you do, don't lose those turbo decals! :D
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

oh heck no, they make the car! eventually I will get the car painted so will need to get them replicated.
ImageImage
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Phil it's coming along awesome don't stop! When ya get it going I'll definitely be keen for a meet up and swap cars for a drive!
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

haha thanks Dave I think I'll hold you to that :P

small update

wheels back on and dropped back onto the ground, just wanted to see how the suspension was sitting with the V6 in - it seems to be about the same level as with the 4G63 in, but the V6 is still missing a gearbox, manifolds, turbos, piping etc

fitted radiator and fan back in see where it sits in relation, I feel with that transverse mount chopped off flush there will be plenty of room up front for intake and intercooler piping:

deep valley of the V6 with lower manifold removed:

just comparing port sizes between the MIVEC and the twin turbo GTO V6, they're the same apart from slightly larger injector notch on the MIVEC:

trial fitting GTO turbo upper intake manifold onto the MIVEC bottom intake Y pipe section, needs a spacer to clear the taller MIVEC heads:

Thanks to Spence, Mike and Sam I think we've found a suitable replacement clutch master cylinder, off an AE86 no less:

does anyone know if the AE86 clutch master has the same 5/8" bore size as my stock master cylinder?

... and I removed air con.. there was just no way I could mount the stock V6 air con pump, and it would be too much hassle to try relocating it. So with the air con condenser and lines removed there's more room for a larger intercooler to sit up front, I'm thinking a stock Evo 6.5 TME onwards intercooler as they are decent sized and have 2.5" end tank piping:

also some news on the gearbox front, I've come across a Pajero 4WD V6 V5MT1 gearbox in the south island for cheap which I'll get freighted up to me, to at least have a look over and see if I can use any of it perhaps in conjunction with a 2WD gearbox tail section to lose the 4WD transfer case - if that fails I'll remove the bellhousing and use it to make a custom bellhousing to adapt to some other gearbox (still undecided yet).
ImageImage
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Nice job moving along well, few questions as I'm confusing myself.

A gto has the same bellhousing pattern as a Pajero V6?

A Pajero V6 is different pattern than a 4D56?

Iirc with the 4wd boxes the main shaft is to short to fit a 2wd tail on, I believe you swap out the internals for 2wd stuff though but that just gives you a Starion or weaker box. Not a 100% on that though.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

very impressive :)
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

kiwieurospec wrote:Nice job moving along well, few questions as I'm confusing myself.

A gto has the same bellhousing pattern as a Pajero V6?

A Pajero V6 is different pattern than a 4D56?

Iirc with the 4wd boxes the main shaft is to short to fit a 2wd tail on, I believe you swap out the internals for 2wd stuff though but that just gives you a Starion or weaker box. Not a 100% on that though.
Yes GTO 6G72, MIVEC Diamante 6G72 and Pajero 6G72 bellhousing pattern is the same. And yes the V6 pattern is unique and is not shared with anything else, especially the 4D56.

The 4WD box you're talking about with the too short shaft, is that the V5MT1 cast iron cased gearbox? They're unrelated to the KM145 which is behind 2WD Tritons up until the mid-90s which is a similar box to the KM132B the Starion has. I'm hoping the late 90s 2WD 4cyl Tritons have a 2WD version of the V5MT1.
ImageImage
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Yeah the one I'm talking about is a Starion box with a transfer case.

The cast iron ones from intercooled diesel Pajeros I call a Canter box, the codes mean nothing to me but I assume its the same one?

A 2wd V6 Triton, few and far between here, most of our stuff is from the high country, diesel 4wd a must.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The cast iron box I am picking up is called the V5MT1 and is from a V6 Pajero for sure, but is also used in Diesel Pajeros too. It's totally different to the KM145. I am unsure if there's a 2WD version of the V5MT1, or did they just keep continuing on with the trusty old KM145 for the late 90s/early 2000s Tritons?
ImageImage
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

DG I amire your tenacity in persuing this engine swap :beer
You are one determined little possum opps I've just come back from hols in NZ and it's open season on possums LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
KiwiStaz
I like starions more

Post by KiwiStaz »

anytime is open season on possums back home which is why I constantly get in trouble over here... and the little buggers are more firendly here too, who said natural selection doesn't exist?

back on topic - loving this build and am keeping a close eye on it
"aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

"I used to be frightened by the idea of having a racing accident and not being able to wake up again. Now things are changed. I often fall asleep during a GP, but at least I have the reasonable certainty of being able to wake up, later."
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

hrmm well 3 years.... and still no progress!

the poor thing had been stored away and essentially turned into a parts car for the white Galant GT stealing the coilovers, intercooler, exhaust, rims, LSD etc.

Recently pulled her out of storage

cleaned her up and rolled in the garage

where I pulled the V6 engine out (dummy block + heads only sitting on crossmember) and put the DASH engine with original gearbox back into the hole.

At the same time I managed to stumble upon a JDM GSR-V parts car complete (just in many bits) with 5-stud hubs/brakes and a DASH engine (which hadn't been running in years).

I was able to grab the ECU & wiring loom along with RWD inlet manifold etc to use with my good DASH engine. I also grabbed the 5 stud bits, which will enable me to use these widebody Starion rims I imported from the US

Future plans are to get some D2 coilovers to get it sitting low again on the Starion rims, get the DASH engine running with a new intercooler (evo6 intercooler with 2.5" piping) & exhaust (3" mandrel bent) set up that will be somewhat modular so minimal changes will have to be done when I eventually run with the V6 again.

Have also been considering using a 6G74 3.5 MIVEC from a Pajero Evolution (if I could ever find an engine cheap enough) simply because it has 4 bolt mains vs 2 bolt mains of the 6G72 3.0 MIVEC, it already has a RWD water pipe layout, and the extra displacement would be nice too!

This would of course no doubt be a few years off from being completed!
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

how much bigger / heavier is the 6G74? I know nothing of them, and I assume it's not a turbo motor.. so will you be putting a pair of turbos on it?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

The core block itself weighs about the same as a 4G63, however it starts to get heavier when you add two turbos each with manifolds etc. I would imagine the 6G74 complete with gearbox would be no more than 30-50kgs heavier than the original setup. The V6 would have more of its weight centered behind the front axle line too compared to the I4.

6G74 3.5 MIVEC is out of the late 90s Pajero Evolution http://autospeed.com/cms/title_Evolved- ... ticle.html and makes 280hp/350Nm in N/A form which is up on the 270hp/300Nm of the 3.0 MIVEC Diamante engine which I have at the moment.

I will be keeping the base N/A engine and will fit thicker head gaskets to bring the compression ratio down (not too much though, from 10:1 to 9-9.5ish:1). Will be running a pair of TD04HL-15T turbos from an N23W RVR Super Sports Gear 5spd manual - currently have a pair of TD04HL-13T turbos from an auto RVR SSG which have a slightly smaller compressor wheel.

Given that the MIVEC 3.0 makes about 45hp/25Nm over the non-MIVEC counter part, and that the twin turbo 3.0 makes 300hp/430Nm with two tiny TD04-09 turbos on 7psi with an 8:1 compression ratio, you can imagine that with MIVEC, larger higher flowing turbos and a higher compression ratio that a 3.0 MIVEC turbo could produce 350-400hp/450-500Nm on slightly higher boost... then imagine what the 3.5 could produce!
Last edited by dirtygalant on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage