I couldn't afford a Starion so this is what I have..

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

thanks mate - yeah I'm more than happy with the amount of dish they have, it's just enough without going over the top completely. I like the staggered rim look too.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

dirtygalant wrote:yeah I know you can flip them, but you gotta machine the inside lip then to make it look as good as the outside lip, plus the tyre valves will be in the wrong place - and with the fronts being +20mm offset they'll look stupid with more dish flipped on the front than the rears.
Sorry you're right i misread the offset on the rear rims.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

More pics, finally got some tyres for the front rims and put them on with some spacers.

ImageImage
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

looks sick man :D
i love these cars!
i had one for my first car should have never sold it!
keep hold of it!!!
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

for sure I don't think I'm ever going to give it up, she's definitely a keeper.
ImageImage
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

They look awesome on. Good effort!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

that looks fully sik uleh!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

carrying on from this topic - http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=11262

so stripped the engine bay some more and lowered the V6 into the hole pretty much where I want it to sit:

front of the motor is about inline where front of the 4cyl was

rear of the motor would just clear the clutch master cylinder, however I need to either find a slimmer brake booster or cut down the spacer behind the brake booster - brake master is fine for space though.

room between driver's side chassis rail/steering box and engine block, with no mounts fitted

and on passenger's side - a bit more room

and the sump, the rear section of the tin bottom of the MIVEC sump hits on the front edge of the crossmember, and the engine is resting on it sitting about 20mm higher than it could be mounted, so it needs to be notched further by approx 25-30mm

stripped down the GTO TT motor

the tiny TD04s, they don't actually share the same compressor housings or exhaust housings, they are different per side and may look a bit weird if I mount them a bit forward in plain site - am thinking of using CD5A Lancer GSR TD04s or even WRX TD04s as they are cheap enough to pick up a pair of.

the illusive and hidden oil squirters!

and that's about it for now. I hope to go visit some wreckers to find out more about mounts from a Pajero/Triton etc over the next few days.
ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

man as far as conversions go that looks like a piece of piss!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

noice effort mate!! you sure do work quick

you will need custom exhaust manis for the turbos eh? how will the clearances be with the manis on there?

i'm sure this will give you plenty of "smiles per gallon" as you say ;)

That's my new favourite saying btw :P

I saw a galant vr4 the other day - one of the ones that came with this engine stock.. sounded almost like a v8 :shock: very meaty rumble
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

redzone wrote:man as far as conversions go that looks like a piece of piss!
yeah I'm sure you lot made it out to be harder than it looks! :P I better not say too much though.. I'm sure to run into serious trouble the further I go LOL
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

thrash wrote:noice effort mate!! you sure do work quick

you will need custom exhaust manis for the turbos eh? how will the clearances be with the manis on there?

i'm sure this will give you plenty of "smiles per gallon" as you say ;)

That's my new favourite saying btw :P

I saw a galant vr4 the other day - one of the ones that came with this engine stock.. sounded almost like a v8 :shock: very meaty rumble
Yeah will definitely need custom exhaust manifolds fabricated up, my plan was to tuck the turbos (little wee TD04s) up as close to the block as possible and having short manifolds pointing down - the stock GTO manifolds put the turbos in not so ideal positions. There seems to be plenty of room on the passenger side to do this, but on the drivers side it will be a tight squeeze around the steering box and power steering lines. However if there's not enough room the turbos will be mounted in front of the strut towers (like that Starion with twin T70s I posted in the other thread), and that way I can easily upgrade to TD05s at a later date if need be as there will be plenty of room for them.

Galant VR-4s don't come with the 6G72TT, the 7G has 2.0L 6A12TT (twin turbo version of the MIVEC engine in my daily driver) and 8G has 2.5L 6A13TT - they're a newer and compact V6, while still iron block they have better design features like a deeper block, 4 bolt mains, extra ribbing and inbuilt water passage between the block valley - their only let down is tiny rods (think 4G93 GSR.. only thinner :shock: ). They're a very nice engine, the one in my daily driver Galant happily spins up to 8500rpm and just sounds amazing at that revs.
ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

there's a guy on ozgemini putting a 6A12TT into a gemini at the moment..

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

there's also a guy in Aus who put a 6A12TT into a DC2 Integra of all things.. haha.

6A12TT would be a bit tricky as there is no where to put RWD mounts on the side of the block, he would probably have to make up plates or rails which extent from mounts at the front of the block right back to the bellhousing mounts. 6A12 was put in post-92 cars so have the side mounts on the transmission rather than the block like pre-92 models, so you can't even use the bolt holes for the FWD mounts.

here's some (vague) pics of my 6A12 showing what I mean:

actually.. just looking at that there are holes where the air con bracket is mounted on the left side of the block, and another couple holes on the right side of the block up towards the cambelt end of the engine - I guess going into a Gemini they have a rear sump setup with the crossmember going under the cambelt end of the engine - that could work out quite well. However for us Starion/Sapporo owners it's a different story.
ImageImage
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

dirtygalant wrote:the illusive and hidden oil squirters!
Took me a bit to work that picture out, was wondering why I could see the squirter through the piston LOL

Excellent pictures, awesome work DG
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute