JAS's Rebuild and twincam conversion. 302kw atw baby!!!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Good results JAS, can understand your disappointment though.
You said earlier you were looking for 264 cams, wouldn't they be almost the same spec as standard? Chase some 272s perhaps.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

enthuzed wrote:Good results JAS, can understand your disappointment though.
You said earlier you were looking for 264 cams, wouldn't they be almost the same spec as standard? Chase some 272s perhaps.
I think the factory cams are around the 252 mark. But aftermarket cams have more lift. Which is where you get the most power boost I think.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

What's going to be your ultimate power goal?
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Well done Jason :beer just drive it for a while and enjoy it and when it starts to feel a bit slow put some Kelfords like mine in it :D
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

FST4RD wrote:What's going to be your ultimate power goal?
Was hoping for around 380 to 400. But it should also be boosting up sooner.
OLD FART wrote:Well done Jason :beer just drive it for a while and enjoy it and when it starts to feel a bit slow put some Kelfords like mine in it :D
Yeah Im just going to drive the thing as is for a while.
Im not sure cams will fix it. The tuner said it didnt matter how much advance he put into it, it didnt make any more power or pink. Which is very odd.
It just gets to me that it isnt right somewhere. If the tuner said that it can only make that power with the turbo thats on it (or something else like injectors or cams) I wouldnt mind so much.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

perfectionist...

if it ain't pinging, you can throw more boost at it eh? +1psi = +7rwkw roughly :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

thrash wrote:perfectionist...

if it ain't pinging, you can throw more boost at it eh? +1psi = +7rwkw roughly :D
I could screew 25psi into it. But it wouldnt get to 25 until over 5500rpm. And by that stage the torque has dropped right off anyway.

The point Im trying to make is. Its not boosting up as fast as it should. Not by a long shot. I could screew 30psi into it. But it wont fix the problem.
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

oh yeah, that's a different issue eh.. faulty turbo? wastegate creep? I haven't read through the entire thread to know if this has already been covered.. sorry..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Jase, I am on your side here so trust me when I say I aint having a go at you but to me that tune is crap and I think you are being polite in saying its a "bit" disappointing.

I'd be mightily pissed off with the tuner - you have lost a veritable shitload of power between 2 and 3 grand and nothing more at 5 than before. It'd be a pig.

Yes the the top end is way better but there's nothing down low. In fact you've gone backwards. Has the tuner set your ignition advance correctly. Something just isnt right here. Bigger cams isnt going to fix the issue, that'll make it worse. There is a fundamental ignition timing issue in that motor that wont let it pull from down low.

Interesting how people's eyes went to the far right of the graph to see what power it makes at a point it never gets driven at, foregoing the left side on how it was getting there. :roll:

I feel for you man. :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

I agree with you on this WANTSOM....
Was expecting over 375hp.
7psi@3500rpm would make a happier motor.

Ignition might be the problem.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Greg as you point out it's power under the curve that is most important from a drivability standpoint .
What it needs is more response lower in the rev range so it will punch out of corners etc.FWIW just my 2c worth

PS Jason can you overlay the previous tune over the last one so it will be easy to see where the gains & losses are??

PPS pity you are not over here as you could have had a squirt in my JB for a back to back comparison.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^ with you Rad. This car should fly, it just needs proper setting up. Jase has done a fantastic job on the build I'd love to see him get the full benefit of that effort.

He'll find it I'm sure. :wink:
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Jase maybe a trip to wgtn and a visit to Andre at speedtech? :beer
kushman
Big Dorifto

Post by kushman »

even better a trip to wellington to atend one his 2 days tunning courses which i intend on doing , they r cheap. and he allows you access to the dyno to tune your car with his help ofcourse , i live in wellington and he is regarded as the best mitsituner in nz , and one of the best all round tunners .

the pwr your putting out isnt bad at all, but..
i agree with every coment made regarding the power and torque down low , and ya boost is coming on so slowly it must be so painfull looking at that boost guage.

if the engine was built well and solid which i believe it was then u have to look at the tune ,wantsom is right if ya going putting cams with longer duration its gona give u more lag and maybe a bit mopre power and torque but at a higher rpm