Starion 1987 EX

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

fugazi wrote:Pic's are tha shit for all of us with a diagnose! :D
Nice work maan... are the vented rotors standard or fitted later?
Cheers mate that is very true
Rear rotors are factory vented front and back with a 5x114 stud pattern. When I got the car I was suprised to see rear vented disc brakes. There are plenty of cars around that don't have that kind of setup. :D
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

smodgee wrote:good work there, I'm going to drop my whole rear sub-frame and suspension out today just wanting to get a ballpark time ill be looking at to do it, doesn't seam like it would be a big job a rough count up in my head max 20 bolts(but saying that i have to do it twice as swapping to another starion) cheers josh
As redzone says I wouldn't have a doubt that you could have it out in that amount of time. However It did take me a good 3 hours as it was a first time job and had limited material on how to do it etc, plus the odd 23 year old tight bolt rofl
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

yea its going to be my first time, didn't get to it today as cut my thumb this morning( not that bad but enough to be a pain on a job like this), but put it on jack stands, took off muffler and undid the top of the struts, then crc'ed all the bolts ready for next weekend, thinking tho if I've gone this far might get all the new rubbers and stuff, not sure yet tho, cheers for the info :beer
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Some pics of new hardware for the underside

perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

smodgee wrote:yea its going to be my first time, didn't get to it today as cut my thumb this morning( not that bad but enough to be a pain on a job like this), but put it on jack stands, took off muffler and undid the top of the struts, then crc'ed all the bolts ready for next weekend, thinking tho if I've gone this far might get all the new rubbers and stuff, not sure yet tho, cheers for the info :beer
Great idea crcing then leaving it. Thats what probably took the longest when I did it was the stubborn rusted on bolts. Good luck with your build
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Arms and subframe with the new bushes in it

Found this setup by the front intercooler. Couple of garden sprayers. Didn't work as is but might have a go at wiring somthing up.

RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Nice work, great attention to detail.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Most things are bolted back up now, having some issues with the left hand rear brake, cant for the life of me bolt up the handbrake, i could hardly get the caliper on itself, thinking something wrong with piston. Bleed the brakes and going to run in the pads to see if that fixes anything.

Diff oil is in as well just waiting for the drag link to come back from the engineers then ill be able to take it in for a major wheel alignment.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

The piston in the rear calipers has to be wound back when you fit new pads
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Very HB Torana!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

I am really interested in what you have achieved here, well done. Could you tell me how you managed to find all the right bushes and did you get them all from one supplier ? Brilliant job, this will be next on my list. Did you do any work on the front end and what did you replace ?
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

geese that Starion is in really good nick, look how clean the bay is as well, great find :)
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

OLD FART wrote:The piston in the rear calipers has to be wound back when you fit new pads
I tried winding them back. Felt like they were right back. But the thing is im using the original rear pads and something has changed between taking them off and putting them on. The only way I could get them on was sanding the pads back a couple mm to get the on.
perrinsohc

Post by perrinsohc »

Vulpes wrote:I am really interested in what you have achieved here, well done. Could you tell me how you managed to find all the right bushes and did you get them all from one supplier ? Brilliant job, this will be next on my list. Did you do any work on the front end and what did you replace ?
Hey mate cheers for that. The bush kit is from ebay usa, pretty easy to find. They are all from one seller who sells heaps of misty parts. Few other users here got them from there i think. The front and rear sway bar links are from repco (not sure if you have that place in aus) they are actually for a holden commodore but they bolt straight up and its another good option than the ones from ebay which are 100 nz to get over here. The drag links and ball joints for the steerring components are all from repco as well. (Thanks to Jeremy from repco!)

Up the front the kit includes front crossmember bushes, strut to crossmember bushes and tension bar bushes (not 100% on technical names, ill post more pictures with pics up the front.)

At the moment, my 3 piece spoiler is in at a plastic repair shop getting a quote to get fixed.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

perrinsohc wrote:
OLD FART wrote:The piston in the rear calipers has to be wound back when you fit new pads
I tried winding them back. Felt like they were right back. But the thing is im using the original rear pads and something has changed between taking them off and putting them on. The only way I could get them on was sanding the pads back a couple mm to get the on.
Check that you don't have a seised handbrake cable
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL