What have I done??

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

this is with a wastegate actuator to work the intake runner butterflies based on manifold pressure instead of rpm - works quite well - it has helped flatten out my power curve between 2500 and 3500 rpm.. although I think I have to test it further as I have a sneaking suspicion that the butterflies are not opening fully.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah the yanks use that setup - the problem is that the butterflies would be opening up gradually as it builds boost rather than immediate open/closed operation like OEM. With an electronic controller you could fine tune the opening and closing rpms (even independent of each other).
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
STARZILA
I love starions

Post by STARZILA »

Looks the goods man. :pimp
Ive always had a soft spot for vr4's, had a few over the years myself.
Even the poverty pack n/a ones are great cars!
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

swap for your Starion? lol :P
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah true, but use a cheap T boost controller and it should function closer to an on off switch right?

plus the the purpose of the vacuum canister is to prevent it from operating like an on off thing and open the butterflies somewhat gradually?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OldManMike
[L] Plates

Post by OldManMike »

The main reason the Yanks poo-poo the cyclone intake is that for years they never knew it worked as a off-on "switch". Plus the n/a intake is so laggy in the lower rpms and off boost that when the thing gets on boost it comes in with such a hit that it feels likes "it's got way more top-end than an cyclone", leading to the mistaken belief that the cyclone is crap for top-end power.

I was able to drive my VR4 RS around at 50km/hr in fifth using 3.545 gearing with the 0.617 fifth, and put my foot to the floor and it would pull cleanly to 100 km/hr, but it was able to pull out back to back 11.90s using the cyclone intake and a TDO5 (I have video if anyone is interested.) For MOST applications I believe a correctly functioning cyclone intake is the best option when using a VR4 head.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

mine HATES 5th gear at anything below 60-65km/h.. it shakes and shudders like mad. It has the 3.909 gearing but the first four gears are closer together and fifth is further apart than the earlier 3.545 boxes.
ImageImage
OldManMike
[L] Plates

Post by OldManMike »

My was a E38A RS Evolution, but I changed the diffs to 3.545s so it wouldn't run out of revs in fourth for drag racing, plus it was making the torque to pull the taller ratios.

Maybe it was the tuning, maybe the engine build, maybe the lighter car, or a combination of all three, but it was very tractable down low and went like like a cut cat when I put my foot down...sold it nearly five years ago and I still miss that car :cry:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah I'm not sure exactly the cause, the revs would be about 1500-1700rpms which isn't in its ideal spot. It has a bit of shudder from the drivetrain on de-acceleration in 3rd and 4th gears which I think is the driveshaft hanger bearings (damn three piece driveshaft!) or the UJs themselves.

My old E54A Galant VX-R V6 MIVEC loved to sit at 50km/h in 5th gear and what little torque it had down low was sufficient to get it moving quickly. Having said that it was lighter and not 4WD.
ImageImage