US starion makes 569RWHP on 2.6 G54 Pump Fuel

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

but there was text on the video! Isn't that proof enough! TEXT I SAY! it doesn't lie!
_

Post by mrb1 »

quest wrote:mrb1
yeah, the video could've been better.
POS dyno ? Whats next, our 1/4 mile is shorter & our seconds longer ?
Nothing against a 2.6 widebody (I have one!). However the numbers from the Dynojet inertia roller dynos are just total bullshit. You might argue repeatable, but bullshit is still bullshit.

That ramp test is so short I bet the spark plugs aren't even warm yet.

How many Dynojet dynos in Australia, ZERO! We have had decent eddy current chassis dynos since the 1980's. Nobody would pay for a dyno where you can't select a speed and hold it.
I remember my first trip to the US in 1988 we visited a workshop to tune a Haltech system and I said when we put the car on the dyno we need to do the 3000 RPM range first so keep it there, the guy said "oh we can't do that". I said "what POS dyno is this", his answer "a Dynojet"!
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

I'm not sure you're getting my point.
Put 600+ hp worth of air thru a 4cyl. Our 'pos' dyno spits out 500 atw, while your 'realistic' dynos gives 400 - that is what you guys are saying ??
Then show me ANY *2wd* 4cyl gt35 @35psi do 400 on your 'accurate' realistic dyno.

A 400hp car with optimal gearing, tire, driver seat time/skill, etc.. can outperform a 500hp car down the 1/4. LOTS more to timeslips than peak hp numbers.

Same guys managed to get consistent results on several street g54 holding ~30psi. What the hell do ya expect the motor to do under those conditions, 200hp ?? I find it alarming how many clowns just sit on their arse and knock it down, like they've seen this done numerous times. I'd think fellow enthusiasts would appreciate an extrordinary level of performance, that an advanced staz owner may one day wish to duplicate himself. Not the case obviously.
Hating is far more important, that way everybody can continue spewing garbage all over the place about how lousy the g54 is... oh well

FYI G54 served notice many years ago;
10.4s from a heavy street car, 5spd, stock cam, 6200rpm redline.
Look around and tell me how many 4cyl can match it today, mod for mod.
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

Okay, the Garrett GT35 flows 60lbs/min of air max which equates to approx 600Hp at the Flywheel possible.

Correct ?
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

quest wrote: Hating is far more important, that way everybody can continue spewing garbage all over the place about how lousy the g54 is... oh well
The reason so many people hate them here is because they were only ever available in N/A form in Aus. They were initially a reasonably reliable motor but years of neglect sees 90% on the roads now as smoky, leaky, wheezing shitlumps.
I won't complain - It makes spares bloody cheap!

Stock for stock - the 2.0L starion owns the 2.6L, no question.
Last edited by MrBishi on Sun May 14, 2006 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

the 2.6 Astron motor is a capable motor.. Some of the guys in aus have some extreme 2.6 in Sigmas and Scorpions. There was once a local 2.6 powered Sigma Turbo that ran very fast... ive heard people say 10s.

But a dyno prinout would help make that video more beleiveable
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I wont get into this arguement but i wll say that YES the Dynojet dynos are POS. I had my car ran on one, and it pulled more then what it did on the one from Millenium Motorsport, which is the most trusted one around. (i can't remember name). It is BS readings, but that doesn't mean that this car was ran on that type of dyno.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

MrBishi wrote: Stock for stock - the 2.0L starion owns the 2.6L, no question.
For sure.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

quest wrote: Same guys managed to get consistent results on several street g54 holding ~30psi. What the hell do ya expect the motor to do under those conditions, 200hp ?? I find it alarming how many clowns just sit on their arse and knock it down, like they've seen this done numerous times. I'd think fellow enthusiasts would appreciate an extrordinary level of performance, that an advanced staz owner may one day wish to duplicate himself. Not the case obviously.
Hating is far more important, that way everybody can continue spewing garbage all over the place about how lousy the g54 is... oh well
For your information Mitsubishi Australia was building G54's from the late 70's to around 1992. We KNOW this engine. It was used by Ralliart Australia in offroad racing for many years.
That's why you guys have the Magna MPI you like so much, that was made in Australia not Japan.
I don't doubt you could make approx 400HP at the wheels on a Dyno Dynamics dyno with a good 2.6.

I don't recall be critical of the G54, only of the testing and results?
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

quest, no one is hating the engine, mate. We are all Mitsubishi enthusiasts here. Most of the doubt is in dyno measurement, and the fact that all we can see is a car being run on a dyno and people saying it is making 569rwhp.

Congrats to the owner again on the result.

Also, I disagree with your point with respect to 1/4 mile results. Terminal speed is an excellent indicator of a cars performance as well as power calculator. If this car runs a 13.0@130+MPH, then that will still reflect the cars measured dyno figure. The dyno is a tuning tool, with the track being the backed up proof. Without on track performance, to me, it is only a dyno queen.

If you like, I can show you a graph of my STOCK 2.6 widebody making 600rwhp. ;) :beer
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Once again, you guys are missing the point!

1. I don't mean 'hateing the motor. I am talking about hateing the *effort*. Its an expression we westerners use when envious "do nothings" love to pull down, discredit, cast doubt and negative vibes.

2. Now stop being evasive and answer the simple question;
"show me ANY *2wd* 4cyl gt35 @35psi do 400 on your 'accurate' realistic dyno."
Cut all the 'speculating' shit and show them. This sorta garbage is how rumours and myths originate.

mrb1
Good, since you've been building g54 forever, lets see the 30+psi 2.6 street car dynos. You should have lots of them :)
If you knew them *well*, you should know what holds a g54 back. A good block to head seal and keeping the torque curve from taking the typical sharp nosedive. 'HP' numbers will come automatically then.
With 600hp worth of air shoved thru g54, u dismiss it immediately.
Obviously you DON'T know the motor as well as you *think* !

Please DO explain why all the fast quarter mile times from heavy street g54s. Start by 'blameing' dynojet.

Its very easy to sit on our ass and call them 'dyno queens'.
Do you have any idea 4-600 ft-lbs of torque at the slicks have done to the driveline parts in a 3100+ pound street car ??
You don't 'just make 500hp', hit the strips with a hi-po staz and run the ET/mph you choose. Don't listen to the easter bunny.

Stock vs stock, 2.0 outperforms 2.6 ? I have no idea what point you're trying to make here, but whatever. Fine.
Interesting you bring this up. This same tuner 'owns' a tbi 2.6 with a surprising amount of STOCK parts dyno'd 334hp atw and a tire shredding 387 ft-lbs tq @28psi. Lets see what a "hot" TBI 2.0 'owns'.

So our dynojets are garbage.
Your street cars are NO faster, not tuned any beeter, make no more power and are no more reliable, than the many monsters that have come off dynojets. Dj gets the job done. Fact. Swallow that
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Here's one:

2.0L 4 cylinder Nissan FJ20

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

quest wrote:Cut all the 'speculating' shit and show them. This sorta garbage is how rumours and myths originate.
a black screen with the writing "XXX Horsepower" isn't speculative? Unfortunately the rumour appears to be the cars power in this instance. But hey, i'm not for or against, if he's made the power great! but i can make the same video with a 50cc scooter on a dyno.
_

Post by NXTIME »

exactly. You show a video of a car on a dyno and then a bunch of guys getting exciting and saying that they made XXX horsepower. I don't see anything there that isn't anything but speculation as dyno graphs can be so easily manipulated, hence the reason for doubt as there isn't very much solid proof. Like I said, back it up with a trap speed on the quarter and then maybe the power figure will be a little more believable.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

btw, the FJ20 engine above has now made 660rwhp a few months ago on an accredited dyno dynamics dyno in a national dyno competition using a GT42.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T