I want to show off my car. :)

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

does eip still exist? I remember reading somewhere that they closed up shop.. but of course.. people say all kinds of shit on the net.

what cars in aus came with the 2.6 in rwd configuration? sigma? scorpion?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Sigma, Scorpion, early ford courier/mazda bravo
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
turbofusion
Lil' Dorifto

Post by turbofusion »

WANTSOM wrote:What Dave said ^^^^^

Well done. The 2.6 is not to be sneezed at is it. :beer

In the widey, this motor is just such a perfect match. Good torque and capable of handling some boost and it all just seems 'there'. I can see why you USA guys wonder at our fascination with the Twin Cams when you can get so much torque/power out of a well thought out 2.6 set up. If I were on your side of the ocean I too wouldnt give a second thought to the TC. I'd just be doing exactly what you guys are doing. There is no substitute for torque is there.
I will be doing a little back to back testing. I won't be able to run as much boost as before for two reasons, I don't have 1000cc injectors anymore. I might get my hands on 880's but if I can't I'll get it running on 660's. So you can imagine it will have either 88% or 66% of the 450 it produced before. The second reason is that I never replaced the clutch, I took it out and cleaned it then reinstalled it.

I would rather have a higher HP number than torque. Torque breaks things, and HP wins races. son. :P I have no delusions of grandeur with this motor. It has a crappy flowing head, and I've done as much as I care to do to it already with a valve job, a 292 degree regrind cam and smoothing and polishing the combustions chambers.

the 4g63 is an amazing motor. some friends of mine specialize in working with that motor specifically and make pretty stupid power. John Lacroix has a 2 liter with a gt4202 that made 650awhp on a DD and went 10.06 @ 148mph. It later split a cylinder wall vertically and let the magic smoke out.

guys at DB performance here sponsor and tune brent rau's 4g6x powered drag car that makes 1200 and some hp. I think it goes 6's. 80+ lbs boost.

MAPerformance has a 4g64 powered rx7 drag car that does low 8's and makes ~1050 whp. they also have an 1100 (I think) awhp evo 9.

So I know what can be had by the 4g motors. It sure would be fun to get 650-700 from the g54b, but I'd need rods and a dogged out t56 for that kind of malarky.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^ which is fine if you want to "live your life a quarter mile at a time". Pun intended.

Its all well and good having 1100 hp at 8000 rpm but that wont get you off the corners on a road racing circuit, torque will. Horses for courses my friend. :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

WANTSOM wrote:^^^^ which is fine if you want to "live your life a quarter mile at a time". Pun intended.

Its all well and good having 1100 hp at 8000 rpm but that wont get you off the corners on a road racing circuit, torque will. Horses for courses my friend. :beer
Amen to that^^^^^^
TF the correct quote is "torque wins races .Horsepower sells cars "
Not too long ago there was a drag race and a stock 300 kw car was faster down the 1/4 than a 1000 hp atw dyno queen in the same brand of car

PS just take a peep at the latest euro turbo diesels .The hp/kw is not that high BUT check out the torque outputs and you will see why a TD Euro owned you away fron the lights or out of a corner or overtaking LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if torque won races, then we'd all be racing trucks, no?
This would also mean rotary powered cars such as the fd rx7 would not make good circuit cars, no?
This would also mean that f1 cars that are designed for high rpm rather than high torque, would be really slow circuit cars as well, no?

and don't get me started on those damn euro cars.. if it weren't for a certain turbo polo gti, i would still have a stock standard starion chugging away slowly with 99rwkw.

I think the more accurate saying would be "torque makes it EASIER to win races" ;)

This also stands to point out why the euro diesels win off the lights - they require less skill and foresight to drive quickly on the road, where the maximum speed you need to reach can be had in second gear before a high powered machine has even reached the powerband.

now, less torque more action! LOL
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Thrash mate seems I have stirred you up a bit :shock:
Just calm down and think about it a bit it's tq that punches you out of corners and hp takes over for the top end.
What has been the motive force in the winning cars in recent Lemans 24 hour races? Dakkar ? I think you will find that they are all diesel powered and what are they famous for ? Torque :D
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Part of the reason why Lemans diesel powered cars are successful is they are more fuel efficient and as a result make less pit stops, which at Lemans takes longer. The other reason is they have a good spread of torque which in my opinion what makes a good track car. Its all about how torque and power is delivered rather than the having high figures of either.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

oldie, i respect you too much to let you stir me up :P

i'm just having fun with you fellas. i haven't had a rant in a while ;)

that's not to say i agree with you.. I still think the phrase "torque makes it easier to win races" is the more accurate one. RT has put up a good point - the diesels consume less fuel, and do fewer pitstops. the audis at le mans had to do fewer pit stops, and so got more laps in.

the dakar is perfect for diesel as well - the terrain requires very high torque output to even get through it, and fuel is always an issue.
quest wrote:
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

C'mon thrash! You just going to roll over that easily??
(where's the 'stirring the pot' emoticon?)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Thrash I love a sprited discussion and seeing another point of view. It also helps to keep my brain active and at times educates me as well :)
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

And all this because I made an innocuous comment about TF's car (and the 2.6 in general) having a good amount of torque.

Thrash all I will say is read up on some tuning/engineering books and you will find a simple formula that cannot ever be argued and that is "torque makes power. You cant have one without the other. Now for drag stuff the guys design the motor to deliver the power very hard in a very narrow rev/power band because that is what that type of motorsport requires. You will find if you looked at a dyno chart of a drag motor the power is all coming on late in the rev range and that is where the torque is as well. ie lights go green and they flatten the throttle all the way to the line so the motor has to respond to that condition.

Go circuit racing and the mix of corners and straights etc dictate a motor that will respond under a differing set of conditions, part throttle, full throttle, low throttle etc. For that you need a motor that can breath up top but that can 'respond' quickly from small/mid range throttle openings so as RT says, a wider power band is more useful for circuit work. The trade off is you dont get the very high HP figures a drag motor would have because you need a compromise. Like I said horses for courses.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Way off topic now but hey, that doesn't matter.
I thought power is a function of torque. Ie a dyno can't measure power only torque. It then does a calculation based on rpm to work out the power. So really when you have a torquey motor it is like saying it develops a lot of power early. There is a formula to calculate power from a torque figure at a given rpm and visa versa. I might have already posted it in this forum.
1985 JB Starion #157
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^ spot on.

Torque is the measurement of the twisting action on the motor. eg its like leverage - a longer handle has more 'torque' than a short handle -it has a higher capacity to turn something.

Oh dear, we have digressed havent we. Nice exhaust outlet TF. LOL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

lol, do you REALLY want me to go into a theory rant?? :P
quest wrote: