ProZac's 1982 Starion - Now with added 86!

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

If u want only 300rwhp then get a td06 20g with an evo3 exhaust housing on a 2.4 or 2l sohc with just a set of forged pistons & graphite head gasket & mpi..

Be a hell of a lot cheaper & quicker to do than a dohc conversion..

EDITED POST! WROTE EXHAUST MANIFOLD INSTEAD OF EXHAUST HOUSING!
Last edited by redzone on Tue May 01, 2012 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I don't see an overly large difference between going MPI on the SOHC head, and doing a twin cam swap TBH... It would be messing around with both manifolds either way, and I'm sure a cheap twin cam motor will pop up sooner or later.

Plus it's future proofing.

Disco Potato... They were some sort of hybrid nissan turbo? I'm sure I've dealt with them before but can't remember the details...

300HP, with a little lag as possible would be nice. Looked at some maps this evening, and i do believe you're right about a 3540 being a bit big... Hmmmm. Will do some decent research before commiting, but thats a long way off at the moment anyhow :)
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

ProZac wrote:Ive got a nice clean un-bored starion block sitting on the engine stand. I need to find a complete NA twin-cam motor, but they seem to be a little thin on the ground? Want something complete so I know i have all the bolts, plastic covers, etc.. Would like to use the later alternator and multi rib belts too.
This might be a bit of a cheaper way out.. but if your looking for a n/a one.. would the early model sonata dohc n/a 4g63's be the go? Got one in this town at the wreckers im keen to go have a look at if i want to do the dohc head swap... be alot cheaper then buying a evo or galant head which i can't even find for reasonable price or locate at all.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

weren't the sonatas sohc?

you can also try finding a 4g61 lancer - the block would be useless to you as it is a 1.6 (or 1.8, i forget), but all the bolts and stuff would be there.. not sure if you'd want or be able to use the water pump, alternator, etc from it though
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:weren't the sonatas sohc?
All the ones I have seen in the wreckers are TC & easier to find than HG/HH Gallant GSR's
TIP cut off the FWD engine mount so you can cover where it protrudes thru the front cover( I siliconed a piece of black plastic over it to stop dirt etc ) but make sure you cut it off above the threaded hole that is used to hold the factory tensioner adjuster when fitting new cambelts.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Yeah, the reason I want to find an NA motor is that it will hopefully be cheaper, and all the parts I want to use are the same as a turbo one, with possibly the exception of the oil-pump rear housing and gears, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Stronger internals for 6 and 7 bolt motors are just so cheap out of the US there is no reason not to.

No, someone go find me a complete, cheap twincam NA 6 bolt motor, hah :)
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

ProZac wrote:Yeah, the reason I want to find an NA motor is that it will hopefully be cheaper, and all the parts I want to use are the same as a turbo one, with possibly the exception of the oil-pump rear housing and gears, but I can cross that bridge when I come to it.

Stronger internals for 6 and 7 bolt motors are just so cheap out of the US there is no reason not to.

No, someone go find me a complete, cheap twincam NA 6 bolt motor, hah :)
There and hundreds of NA 6 bolt engines at pick a parts in auckland, can get entire engine for couple of hundred bucks. AFAIK the oil pumps on turbo and non turbo are the same as well.
And yup buy up from the USA as the $$$ is great!
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Go grab me one then, will pay beer monies ;)

Semi-serious...

Actually, Ive got a couple of car-inclined mates up that way that are into mitsies... Will ask around and see if anyone is willing to snag one for me.
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

OLD FART wrote:
thrash wrote:weren't the sonatas sohc?
All the ones I have seen in the wreckers are TC & easier to find than HG/HH Gallant GSR's
TIP cut off the FWD engine mount so you can cover where it protrudes thru the front cover( I siliconed a piece of black plastic over it to stop dirt etc ) but make sure you cut it off above the threaded hole that is used to hold the factory tensioner adjuster when fitting new cambelts.
yeah the one im talking about was definitely a twincam one.. early 90's one to be exact.. obviously wouldn't have oil jets being a n/a motor but damn would be alot cheaper to pull one of them out've the wreckers then a evo or galant one which are harder to find anyway.. and getting the n/a motor you can put the cams you want, pistons, rods etc etc in it from the get go before it goes into your car if you want to.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Piston squirters are in the starion block all the bits will be transposed into anyhows. The sonata and galant engines are the same AFAIK.
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

ohh yeah. i meant if you were using the whole n/a engine with block and head etc.. not just doing the head swap onto the starion block. all good though.. sounds like the way to go though hey?
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

So I bought a complete, running, but deregistered 1990 Galant the other day :). Its got the DOHC 1800 4g67 in it, which has almost all the parts I need.

Saving for a set of forged pistons and stronger rods from the US now.

Some internet reading leads me to believe that the 4g67 head will have smaller combustion chambers than a 4g63 head... Will have to measure the volume and work out the compression ratio. If I could get it to somewhere around 9:1 that would be awesome, might add some off-boost driveability.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Zac, your switch will be at Robin's place any day now!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Edited my post above re the TD06 swap, i meant evo 3 exhaust housing not manifold, yes you can get over 300 rwhp from a stock JA exhaust manifold..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Redzone, are you talking unported? I suspect not.

If your starion block is okay, I'd be using that and pulling the rest off the Galant motor that's required.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.