Bought a Group A Starion...

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Bought a Group A Starion...

Post by 7th_skyline »

...Sort of :wink: , its only a 1/24 scale one.
Finally picked up a group A Starion kit off ebay - they're very rare now, even the short reproduction run was a few years back.
Will be interesting to see what its like when I get it, I've a feeling I'll have to fabricate LOTS of stuff.
It will go nicely with the group A HR31 GTS-R skylines (Calsonic and Gibson Motorsport versions), 635CSi BMW (JPS version) etc that I have waiting to built. I wouldn't mind getting decals made to do an Aussie Gr. A version, but I think this one will be pure Japanese touring car spec.

Those are the pics from ebay, can't wait until it turns up in a few weeks.
:)
Rainey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Rainey »

Woah, nice buy dude. How much did that set you back?

I've got the good old black MMC kit from Hasigawa(??) with the Watanabes on it, not a bad model and easy to build but it looks odd if you don't put the spacers on the axel.
STARI//ART
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I think I found a guy who stocks those and also the gull wing widebody ones. He is in japan. And only speaks japanese, which is probably why most haven't found him
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

Really? Thats interesting. I'm hoping to have all the group A cars by Fujimi eventually.

I have found someone who can make custom decals, so theres a slim chance I may be able get a decal kit made to represent an Aussie group A Starion.

Need lots of reference photos though...
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

here are a few of them:

There is more too

If anyone wants some, let me know and I can organise it for you all
DD Phil
Enthusiast

Re: Bought a Group A Starion...

Post by DD Phil »

7th_skyline wrote:...Sort of :wink: , its only a 1/24 scale one.
Finally picked up a group A Starion kit off ebay - they're very rare now, even the short reproduction run was a few years back.
Will be interesting to see what its like when I get it, I've a feeling I'll have to fabricate LOTS of stuff.
It will go nicely with the group A HR31 GTS-R skylines (Calsonic and Gibson Motorsport versions), 635CSi BMW (JPS version) etc that I have waiting to built. I wouldn't mind getting decals made to do an Aussie Gr. A version, but I think this one will be pure Japanese touring car spec.

Those are the pics from ebay, can't wait until it turns up in a few weeks.
:)
Mmmmmmmmm I love this kit, I have a couple. :)

Phil
Purple JA, full cage, 6G72TT, collecting dust
White JA, 19x10s, GT30, Alcons, DMS, Crower 2.4, Hypertune intake, M800.....
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Re: Bought a Group A Starion...

Post by 7th_skyline »

DD Phil wrote:
Mmmmmmmmm I love this kit, I have a couple. :)

Phil
Oh excellent! What is it like - does it have a decent racing interior? Are the wheels anything like the box art?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes and yes. i have both the white group a and the black watanabe`s one

why dont u pm chooky and copy his group a car? there are plenty of photo`s in the old competition yearbooks too.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
evoJB
I like starions more

Post by evoJB »

I got one a couple of months ago, same as pictured, perfect condition, original rusty paint can as well. Not sure wether to keep it in the box or make it up.
Starion Powered By EVO
220.5kw/atw
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

if you wanna keep it, make it up,
if you wanna sell, leave it in the box
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

I don't really believe in collecting them; in my opinion kits are made to be built. In all reality its 200jpy or so of plastic and paper in a box.

I don't go for collecting diecasts much either; Booooooring!

I decided to pay out the arse for EMS shipping, should be here in a week! I've also got a Group 5 R30 Skyline (the crazy 600hp widebody red one) and a Group A BMW 635CSI on the way... I should have plenty to keep me occupied when uni finishes in 2 months.
7th_skyline
[P] Plates

Post by 7th_skyline »

Turned up in the mail today, all the way from Kanagawa. EMS is great!

Unfortunately I have to say I'm sort of disappointed, I will have a huge amount of work to get it up to scratch. It doesn't have any racing interior parts, just a race seat and a pissweak attempt at a roll cage (which I would imagine is in the regular road starion kit as well), main hoop and one bar running to the parcel shelf... The chassis is very rudimentary, effectively has a "live axle" moulded in the back too, so to achieve any negative camber I will have to fabricate new chassis parts.

So its going to be a big project as I will have to scratchbuild the interior and some suspension parts. On the upside the body is nicely proportioned and the wheels/slicks are nicely made. Unfortunately this puts it down the bottom of the "to build list.