Finally Painted

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Finally Painted

Post by Powerslave »

And I swear I'll never paint a car again (think I said that once before).

Gonna let it sit for a few weeks before polishing it , then time to upgrade then engine.

Whole cost of paint job : about $700 , 8 weeks (yes , it was rushed due to uncontrolled circumstances)

:beer
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Did you do the whole car, engine bay and all?

Love the look of fresh paint, just ashame it costs so much to do :(
Last edited by Junkers on Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Powerslave

Post by Powerslave »

Did the whole car - minus the engine bay. I'll do that when I transplant the engine.
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

did you do that yourself?

bigmoz :pimp
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
Powerslave

Post by Powerslave »

Yep , not a single soul to help me. Like I said , NEVER AGAIN. It was a total pain the ass.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

$700 what made the paint job cost that much??

Interested because im gonna try painting a gemini when its stripped back.
for me to paint gemini so far: primers $ 40 something, thinners $ 20 something, paint about $120 / 4 litre & My time = free

How did your budget work out ??? if its gonna work out $700 for me i'll forget it cos I only paid $100 for the Gemini.

(Dont need any comments bout Gemini's, I bought it as a spare car for a bargain)

Cheers

Dallas
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
Powerslave

Post by Powerslave »

It's not just the paint & thinners , there's many other bit's & pieces. Prepsol , primer , undercoat , clearcoat , bog (yeah , every starion has it in some form or another) , and I also bought a few tools (dollies , air grinder bla bla bla - the paint I used(5 litres) cost over $300 and is very heavy with the metal flake. If you can paint a whole car with $40 worth of thinners , then you must have an excellent supplier , or you must be brushing the paint on the car. Expect to use about 4 litres of paint , 4 litres of clear and at least 20 litres of thinners.

If you've never painted a car before , expect the unexpected. :beer
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

i got 4 litre of primer on special for 40 odd dollars was 20% off,
4 litres of thinners for $20 odd also 20% off
and can get paint for $120 for 4 litres (paint supplies)
got a litre of paint stripper for $15 (will need more)
will see, ive got a lot of the crap required, it cant come out much worse than the fawn color it currently is.

20L of thinners, wow, dont plan on a clear coat just prime and paint hopefully. dosnt need to be perfect, just blue.

will be interesting to see how your car comes out when polished, is it metalic???
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Powerslave wrote:Like I said , NEVER AGAIN. It was a total pain the ass.
I've painted 2 cars and agree 100%. Is the most un-fun unrewarding part of car restoration IMHO. I took months of careful prep on my 2nd paint job and it still turned out sub-par.

Now I'd much rather work some OT and pay some other poor shmuck to do a better job.

What did you paint it in?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Powerslave

Post by Powerslave »

What did you paint it in?
An open carport. I had to wait for weather without any wind , and just hosed down the concrete before any spraying. I wish I had some sort of shed or garage , I could have done much better. Also I wish I had of invested in a gravity feed gun , especially for the roof.

One good side to all of this is I had found some surface rust under the existing paint which would have turned nasty further down the track , so I have knocked that one on the head. Hey , MR Bishi , do you ever go down to the broadwater carpark at southport ?? I did on saturday night and felt outnumbered (200 skylines , 1 starion. The cops even pulled me up to ask what sort of car it was , I think they had some sort of bet going.). You should make an appearence down there one night.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Car park is not my thing - too many idiots who know everything. Also not keen to get car inspected by the DOT shaker. Happy to meet up next time you are down this way though.

When I ask what you painted it in I mean acrylic, enamel or 2-pac.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Powerslave

Post by Powerslave »

20 % Dulux Acrylic , 20 % dulux Clear , 60% thinners.

:beer