The Nissabishi Conquest

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

StarionChef wrote:To buy a car like this with the ideaof using it as a daily driver is something an inexperience young kid would do, or dream of as it looks like has happened here.
I'm an inexperienced kid.. and my daily driver is a highly modified dream (getting there anyway). It has plenty of pitfalls, and I choose to live with it.. there are a multitude of days where i kick myself because the "wiser" thing to do would have been to have a stock standard 4 door shopping cart for daily duties.. but when i get behind that wheel on a nice clear night and i know that there isn't much out there on the streets that can challenge me, all else is forgotten..

Nacho.. I know that all you can see right now are these problems. I've been there - on some days I still am.. as I know perhaps most modified starion enthusiasts have been or still are also.. you are not alone, and we're here for you. Just stick to the dream.. because when you get into that car and are able to start it and feel the power surging through the seat and into your body, you'll be glad you stuck with it and made the dream a reality.. and non of this heartache will matter then.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
docile
Big Dorifto

Post by docile »

StarionChef wrote:I really dont see what all the hoo har is about... you bought an very old, very nice EXTREMELY modififed car for a fraction of the replacment cost.
The car was build for the track, to be driven ocasionally on the street, anyone can see this.

This car was easilly one of the best starions world wide, Jason had the balls and the brains to p)ss off all the unreliable mitz parts with proven Nissan parts that he knew he could easily and in an affordable way, get decent power from without the feeling of "will this thing get me home or around the track?" constantly in the back of his head.

If more starions had nissan engines we'd, maybe see some on the roads rather than tossed in the too hard basket... no offence Hoonie ;)

To buy a car like this with the ideaof using it as a daily driver is something an inexperience young kid would do, or dream of as it looks like has happened here.

All I see here is a kids that's been dazzled by the lights and didn't use his brain and focus on the real issues the he was told about prior to purchase.

Should have bought a new car if you didn't want used car / modified car hassles.
To be honest I don't think NachoMan is really disheartened or annoyed by fixing all the little loose ends.

I know when I was let off on a few issues getting mine registered, I didn't go woopee, I saved myself $$$$. I still went and go the last few bits sorted afterwards for peace of mind.

Additionally, I think you should really go and check the record books, the SR20 is not even on the same planet as the 4G63's in terms of max power levels and reliability. Even the Nissan guys will happily admit that.
:wink:
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

StarionChef wrote:I really dont see what all the hoo har is about... you bought an very old, very nice EXTREMELY modififed car for a fraction of the replacment cost.
The car was build for the track, to be driven ocasionally on the street, anyone can see this.

This car was easilly one of the best starions world wide, Jason had the balls and the brains to p)ss off all the unreliable mitz parts with proven Nissan parts that he knew he could easily and in an affordable way, get decent power from without the feeling of "will this thing get me home or around the track?" constantly in the back of his head.

If more starions had nissan engines we'd, maybe see some on the roads rather than tossed in the too hard basket... no offence Hoonie ;)

To buy a car like this with the ideaof using it as a daily driver is something an inexperience young kid would do, or dream of as it looks like has happened here.

All I see here is a kids that's been dazzled by the lights and didn't use his brain and focus on the real issues the he was told about prior to purchase.

Should have bought a new car if you didn't want used car / modified car hassles.
Why couldn't you use this on the street as a daily?
I know plenty of cars that have more power and mods than this that are daily drivers.
Anyway, I've basically turned this car into a daily driveable car, bar the annoying mechanical and electrical maladies that I've had to fix/get fixed.

My issue with the car has nothing to do with the fact it was mainly used for the track before, and a few things are a bit rougher than I'd like.
My issue is the fact that I'm finding more things that I'd like that need attention.
Yes I could have bought a new or newer car, and was very close to doing so, but the force is strong with this one.
I also like having a car that's distinctive, fast, eye-catching, and reliable, and that's what this car will be once everything's done.
I don't like to drive the same shit as everyone else.
Besides, who rattled your cage? None of this has anything to with you.
You don't 'see' anything because you don't know me, so don't run your mouth about things you know nothing about.
I invite you to keep your comments to yourself.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Re: ...

Post by NachoMan »

starion4me wrote:
NachoMan wrote:So an update.

Car went over the pits about a month back, and failed.
Reasons;

1. Too low
2. Park lights not working
3. Horn not working
4. OEM seats and seatbelts in car when car was previously licenced as a 2 seater
5. Non standard front brakes without permit
6. Oil leaks
7. They couldn't find the VIN placard.
8. Right rear braided brake line has had braiding completely worn off. Was wearing on right axle shaft! :wtf:

So 1,2,3 & 8 are corrected.
VIN placard is in driver's doorjam, but as this was previously a left hand drive vehicle, they found it too hard to find.
Brakes and seatbelts are pending approval.
Oil leaks will be corrected as soon as I get the car back from the auto-electrician.
Needs a new gel battery, and a new alternator.
The previous alternator was wired up incorrectly, and boiled the battery!
The alternator also has a leaking diode, and the cost of repairing isn't worth it.

I'm really starting to regret buying this car. :(
It looked so good, and went so hard, and I got completely sucked in.
Too many things are requiring attention, and the costs are just building up.
I knew it wasn't going to be perfect, but I didn't expect it to be this much work, or to cost this much money.

Oh well, I shall soldier on.
On a positive note, I did manage to score an all black interior for it, so I can replace the bits that are burgundy/crappy black painted.
Jas - sorry to hear you are having such issues. Your list above might seem a lot but anyone that is mechanically minded would be able to resolve those issues easily and cheaply

1. Too low - Just adjust the height of the coilovers
2. Park lights not working - not sure whats going on here. I would pull the units out and using a volt meter test if its getting voltage but doesnt sound like a biggie
3. Horn not working - from memory i left the horns off when i fitted the air filter up the front. if they arent physically there let me know they must be in my garage somewhere. but easy fix as the 2 wires will just be hanging near the intercooler by the bumper support. $30 bucks for a new horn from Supercheap...
4. OEM seats and seatbelts in car when car was previously licenced as a 2 seater - yip you knew it was registered as a 2 seater and its in black and white on the engineers report.
5. Non standard front brakes without permit - yes you knew that to hence why i placed the original calipers in the car encase you had issues. When i went for pinks they didnt bat an eye lid and i didnt bring it to their attention.
6. Oil leaks - yes it did have a leak in the front timing cover which is worse than it looks if the oil is too thin. dont use the 10w40 as the book says as previously advised use 15w50 and ensure you do oil changes often. That was the only leak that was visible to me when i sold her to you. To me the leak was too little to warrant pulling the engine out as the sump has to come off or take the head off....
7. They couldn't find the VIN placard. idiots thats all i can say to that one but im very pleased you found it
8. Right rear braided brake line has had braiding completely worn off. Was wearing on right axle shaft! :wtf: Thats interesting there is a bracket that secures the line to the strut. Is that bracket still intact - sounds like it might have broken off but easy fix by the sounds of things

Bar the oil leak these issues are really small even considering the alternator going....its a wear and tear item and isnt built to last forever. That one had been in the car for 7 years and came with the sr20 from the wrecker.

I enjoyed working on the car and it was my project and passion as a lot of you know for 7 years. But unfortunatley Jas the major difference between me and you is, i have the skill set to do everything myself and what i dont know im happy to learn.

I tried to give you as much documentation as i could but you werent buying a showroom car built from the factory.

Soldier on mate and try and learn as much as you can. Use mechanics, sparkies etc to diagnose any issues you dont understand i.e. get a quote from them then go away and learn how to fix it yourself

Otherwise keep doing what your doing
1. Coilovers adjusted, as was mentioned in a previous post. Fairly easy job.
2. Park lights rewired, also mentioned in a previous post.
3. Yeah horn wasn't there, but I found that out before it went over the pits and replaced it with an old one which stopped working on the way to the pits! Typical! :roll:
4. Yep I knew the car was previously licensed as a 2 seater, but the inspector failed me on OEM rear seats and belts. I need an engineer to inspect the refitting of the OEM stuff!? :wtf:
5. Yep I knew that, and was hoping that they wouldn't pick up on it. I think the 'NISSAN' emblazoned on the side of the calipers gave the game away. I'll get them approved, and it'll be fine.
6. Oil leaks have been sorted. It was a pain, but it's done. It was pretty oily under the car, so she's going to get several high pressure cleans before the next inspection.
7. Yeah, wasn't hard to find if you use your brain and a bit pathetic on their part really, given how much attention they'd paid to everything else.
8. Bracket had become loose on this so there was too much slack on the line. It's been replaced as mentioned in a previous post.

Yeah I lack certain skills, and am reluctant at times to attempt major jobs. I give those jobs to a mechanic mate of mine.
Jas, your obligation ended with delivering the car to the transport depot at your end as you know. You've been great with tips, tricks, and possible solutions to problems. I didn't expect as much as you gave, so thank you again. No animosity on this end mate.
I was under NO illusions that this thing was perfect. I'm just a bit frustrated by my lack of time, size of some jobs, and my own inexperience.
This is my place to vent.
That's all there is to it.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Re: ...

Post by thrash »

NachoMan wrote: 3. Yeah horn wasn't there, but I found that out before it went over the pits and replaced it with an old one which stopped working on the way to the pits! Typical! :roll:
4. Yep I knew the car was previously licensed as a 2 seater, but the inspector failed me on OEM rear seats and belts. I need an engineer to inspect the refitting of the OEM stuff!? :wtf:
LOL
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

It begins again!

Post by NachoMan »

So you might be wondering how this is all going. Then again you may not, but I shall tell you anyway! :)
It has been about a year since I took the beast over the pits to get licenced the first time, and got knocked back.
It sat for a while after initially getting most of the work done, as per per the list in previous posts, simply because I haven't had the time.
Lately though, I've been getting stuck in, and the following is what's been done/happening recently...

A brand new alternator, and a custom made bracket so that a more powerful and generic Nissan alternator can be used.
Finding a new S13 SR20 alternator is like trying to find a Chinese restaurant that doesn't serve rice.

Motor was leaking oil like a sieve, so head, timing cover, and sumps came off to rectify this. An ill fitting head gasket was the cause of a cracked timing cover, that was leaking a rather lot of oil. Also both the upper and lower oil sumps were leaking profusely!
So, a new timing cover, inlet gasket, exhaust manifold gasket, dump pipe gasket, and ultra-expensive head gasket were fitted to the car, whilst everything was apart.

Car has been dyno tuned, and all of the turbo/inlet hoses have been tidied up and/or replaced because they were looking a little old and worn.

Car was also taken to an engineer to get the non standard front brakes, and rear OEM seats and seatbelts approved. The interior is now entirely black, instead of black in the front, and burgundy in the back.

Total $ spent in the last month = $3700.

The licensing inspection is tomorrow, so please, for the love of all that's decent and reasonable; wish me luck!

Thank you. :beer
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Good luck mate, and take lots of pics with the rego plates on!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

redzone wrote:Good luck mate, and take lots of pics with the rego plates on!
Thanks Dave! :beer
Will do! :wink:
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

In for pics!!

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Foiled by a faulty immobiliser! :wtf: :x :(

I'll try again next week...
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

dam!

Never mind
your have waited this long a few more days wont hurt!
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

that sucks... but if thats itthen its just the pain and waiting in line to go thru again

Good luck :)
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

New immobiliser today.
Pits again tomorrow.
Luckily you can make an appointment, so you're not waiting around all day.
I'll be letting everyone know if it passes... :)
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

NM this is all character building stuff.Starions are not for the faint hearted and modified ones even more so.
hope if sails thru for rego with a clean bill of health :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

OLD FART wrote:NM this is all character building stuff.Starions are not for the faint hearted and modified ones even more so.
hope if sails thru for rego with a clean bill of health :beer
Thank you sir! :beer