EU spec Starion, basic model

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Krorz.. what size are your front brake rotors?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Cel Stowers
[L] Plates

Post by Cel Stowers »

Looked up the link to Wikipedia on the Starion specs. I have a GSR-0, anyone heard of this? I bought this Jap import without an engine (but it did have a turbo engine) and at that stage had non-power steering. It also had struts and steering similar to early Galant & Celeste models. Be interested to know if anyone's had or seen one of these. I still have the struts/calipers/discs etc and will put them on my GTO (as these didn't come with vented discs) but can't find replacement rotors. Nothing I've referenced seems to match but think they may have been the same as Lancer 1800GSR.
Doing something good is like urinating in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but no one notices
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

no such thing as a GSR-0, yours will most likely be a GSR-I which is the lowest spec turbo model. The Starion struts are going to be very similar to a Galant given the Starion is based upon the 4th gen Galant platform.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Cel Stowers
[L] Plates

Post by Cel Stowers »

Well I'm no expert on this matter, but I beg to differ. Picture says it all I'd say.http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/gsr0_copy4.jpg
Doing something good is like urinating in a dark suit. It gives you a warm feeling but no one notices
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

thrash wrote:Krorz.. what size are your front brake rotors?
Hmm, I don't really know but I think it's the smaller version.
The car is pretty dirty in that pic, but you can see the front brake rotor:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Cel Stowers wrote:Well I'm no expert on this matter, but I beg to differ. Picture says it all I'd say.http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/gsr0_copy4.jpg
You're right.. you are no expert on this matter!

Anyone can make up a sticker. It doesn't even make sense having the numeral zero, as the rest of the range is in roman numerals (apart from GSR-VR) ie GSR-I GSR-II GSR-III GSR-X GSR-V etc. GSR-I is the lowest spec Jap import turbo model, the only lower spec model is the GX which is non turbo, solid axle rear end, no power steering etc.

Infact I found a post relating to where that GSR-0 sticker came from - http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ight=gsriv

And here's a translated spec sheet for the early Jap GSR models (before the GSR-V DASH came along)

ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Krorz wrote:
thrash wrote:Krorz.. what size are your front brake rotors?
Hmm, I don't really know but I think it's the smaller version.
The car is pretty dirty in that pic, but you can see the front brake rotor:
yep that's the standard 4 stud 256mm bolt on type rotor. The only other one is the 5 stud 276mm hat type rotor.
ImageImage
KiwiStaz
I like starions more

Post by KiwiStaz »

I bought this Jap import without an engine (but it did have a turbo engine) and at that stage had non-power steering. It also had struts and steering similar to early Galant & Celeste models.
Mine is also a jap import with manual steering, no electic windows etc and the stickers say it is GSR-1. It does have an LSD though :D
"aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

"I used to be frightened by the idea of having a racing accident and not being able to wake up again. Now things are changed. I often fall asleep during a GP, but at least I have the reasonable certainty of being able to wake up, later."
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

GT is where it's at! I wonder if I should get a GT-V badge made up when the DASH motor goes in :P
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

you should then also change your name to dirtyalfa lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

dirtygalant wrote:
yep that's the standard 4 stud 256mm bolt on type rotor. The only other one is the 5 stud 276mm hat type rotor.
hmmm, so the eurospec ones with 276mm rotors were all 5 stud eh?

Are the calipers between the two the same or are they different as well? What about the mounting brackets?
quest wrote:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah the 5 stud models are 276mm rotors, 5 stud was on most euro and US models from 85ish onwards, but as we know the JDM GSR-V had 5 stud in '84, and of course all wideys were 5 stud.

I'm fairly sure it's just the two sizes, 4 stud 256mm and 5 stud 276mm. Same with the rears, 4 stud 255mm and 5 stud ???mm.

I would say it's either the calipers or the brackets (could be both!) which are different between the 4 and 5 stud setups. Something is spacing the caliper further out from the hub at least anyway.
ImageImage
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

according to the 1986 mitsu starion workshop manual, general export vehicles were 255 mm FS17 type discs front and 247mm AD type discs rear, while the european export ones were 276mm FS17 front and 266mm AD type rear.. don't know what the FS17 and AD types are?

European ones also have a 1inch master cylinder, and general export are 15/16 inch.
quest wrote:
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

I wouldnt go so far as to say that 0 wouldnt make sense as the rest are in roman numerals...remember the car is named a starion (translation). Lets not forget the mitsubishi ZERO fighter, I would definately find it likely they had some lesser badged model on the street in Japan.

Actually releasing a zero model would relate far too closely to the war machine, so not likely released any where outside of Japan.

:beer
Thats you and I clashing beers galant.
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

Do you guys know what kind of steering wheel centers were in the different versions of Starions?
My car came with this:
But the '82 parts car has another type which only has the Mitsubishi logo in the center and no turbo logo and it's striped horizontally.