1uz staz conversion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
4g6beat
I love starions

1uz staz conversion

Post by 4g6beat »

The reason i'm selling my turbo bits....

Deciding to try a v8 for a change, lets say a certain youtube starquest got me exited and i had a 1uz and a w58 lying around in the shed :)

SACRELIGE!!

the 4g63 it had is now going to find a twin cam home in an e30 bmw hehe.

[/img]
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Very cool man :) I want one of them for my hilux!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

noice!!!

I was considering this after seeing that vid.. when i did the measurements, i figure it'd fit easily side to side, but it was a bit too long front to back.. Do you have room for the radiator? Did you push the firewall back? Or is the radiator gonna go in front of the radiator support now?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

Top idea that. Have been thinking of it myself.
A mate of mine put a 1uz in his E30, very impressive engine.
Hopefully it is a easier conversion in the staz than an E30.

Best of luck with it. :beer
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

Fuck. I just sold my 1uz :(

Should threw it in the sigma instead of going twincam stroker. :x
Pigma - Nana spec GH sigma, 4g63t forged stroker, VR4 head, GT3582r...
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I think a lot of people will be watching this thread very keenly :drool:
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

anchor, i think your twin cam stroker will make more overall power than a 1uz, unless you turbocharge that one too.. but it would be exponentially difficult to fit turbo(s) and piping into a staz along with the sizeable 1uz.. i'm assuming it will be a similarly troublesome task for a sigma engine bay.

a v8, however, is always fun thanks to the torque from idle onwards :twisted:

I have decided I will eventually buy a VK commodore again, and put a twin turbo or supercharged 1uz in it. Why an ancient bommadore with barbaric suspension? because the engine bay will easily fit such a contraption, and the car weighs only 1280 kgs with the boat anchor straigh 6/v8 they normally come with.. so with a lighter 1uz... :twisted:

Plus I do actually like the way the VKs look.. and primitive suspension setups work quite well for traffic lights, drags and drifting :D
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Hopefully will have it fully mounted soon.

Still trying to get the w58 to bolt up to it with the auto bellhousing and a v-eight com adapter plate. Am also still sorting out a front sump as the mid sump fouls on the cross member. Mounts wise i think i'll be able to easily adapt them together as the angle and positioning are quite similar (at the moment it's just resting on the factory mount position. Only thing that's mildly worrying me are the headers and the proximity of the brake and clutch master. Radiator will have room but i'll have to stick with thermos and ditch the 1uz clutch fan.

Thrash is absolutely right though, a twin cam stroker would murder this engine NA as they're quite fickle to get much more above 250 -280 rwhp without opening them up unless you turbo/supercharge. That power figure is fine with me for circuit racing as i'm more interested in having a motor that can take a flogging without overheating as much or blowing an itercooler pipe and has good response down low, ultimately it's heaps cheaper than building a tc for me too :)

Also turbocharging with the space available would be "fun" to say the least.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I assume there isn't too much of a weight penalty either being an alloy block. We need more pics.....

I looked into this a while ago and it would be legal to drive on Vic roads based on their rules. 2 litre x turbo x whatever the number = 4.2 (or under) litre V8 is legal assuming you get all the engineering done.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

weighed the engine with everything hanging off it bar air con and it came in at 160 kg, didn't get to weigh my staz motor but I think it may work out the same or lighter than a 4g with all turbos and intercoolers dangling off it.

Will have more (and better) pics as soon as i attach a front sump and finish the mounts, hopefully next week!
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Thort about that myself at one stage and wondered if it has been done. Keep us posted as you go...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

uz has been a popular swap in corollas for a few years.... even some tiny starlets.
Was surprised to see a rolla guy claim uz was lighter than his sr20 swap.
How can essentially two 2 litre motors (a 1uz) weigh the same as one 2 litre (sr20) ?
....and makes me wonder, why didn't/couldn't toyota make a ~80-90kg 2 litre 4 cyl
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

the 1uz is extraordinarily light. i would easily believe it's lighter than an SR20. Toyota spent US$1billion (yes, you read that right) between 1983 and 1987 in developing the Lexus LS400, and the 1uz engine development program chewed through a lot of that budget. Think about it.. 1 billion US in the 80s is no small number.. And this is exactly why toyota hasn't made as light a 4 cylinder engine. They wouldn't be able to make that money back selling corollas for 20 grand a pop.

There was somethin I was readin a while back about a 4 cylinder engine that was developed and produced in high tech titanium (if i remember correctly) alloy.. weighed a grand total of 16kgs for the block and head. 16, not 160. Imagine lifting a full sized motor with one hand.. Vin Deisel's gonna have a run for his money eh ;) This motor will not make it's way into a production car because nobody will pay over 100k for soemthing that's the equivalent of a mitubishi colt.. When they develop it enough, perhaps it'd go into a new ultra lightweight lotus or something.. who knows.
quest wrote:
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

4g6beat wrote:Hopefully will have it fully mounted soon.

Still trying to get the w58 to bolt up to it with the auto bellhousing and a v-eight com adapter plate. Am also still sorting out a front sump as the mid sump fouls on the cross member. Mounts wise i think i'll be able to easily adapt them together as the angle and positioning are quite similar (at the moment it's just resting on the factory mount position. Only thing that's mildly worrying me are the headers and the proximity of the brake and clutch master. Radiator will have room but i'll have to stick with thermos and ditch the 1uz clutch fan..
If you have too much of a problem with the W58 you may want to consider a T5 although it may need some trans tunnel massaging.

Brake booster was also a problem in the E30 conversion ended up running twin remote boosters with bias valve in the boot.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah a T5 from a falcon etc could be a very very cheap option, $350 for a gearbox!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au