'81 Scorpion

Display your ride and post power figures, dyno runs, drag and circuit times.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

They may be a poor man's Starion, but they still make bloody good (and fun) track cars...

My Sapporo...

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

except that's not a Sapporo, that's a Galant GSR!
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Yeah there’s no doubt about it, they sound awesome and they are the beez knees of carburetors, heres some links for a bit of reading, oh and I found some you should buy on ebay as well, go on! Treat yourself!

You should buy these

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell%27Orto

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Twin-40-DHLA-Del ... 4ceddcbbe2

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber_carburetor

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2x-weber-carbure ... 2541955096

Hey Lummy, have you got any vids of your scorp on the track? i have always wondered how they would go as a bitumen track car, i have one i bought cheep for autocross but have not had a chance to do anything with it
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Yep, a Galant, not a Sapporo, but hey.

Here's a recent video of the beast on the track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1esmVBrt0

-> Best watched in HD.
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

kiwi_EX wrote:
jwebb2876 wrote:Gonna sell it, I'm over not being able to find parts
I'll be getting an RT142 Corona with IRS and doing a 3SGE conversion.
If i can find an import Galant of a similar vintage I'll be on it like a shot lol
Come on where's your stamina, don't give up so easy. Nothing good is easy, if you stick with it i'm sure you will be extremely happy with it in the end.
It appears to have come back :P

I went for a drive the other day (registered this time lol) and discovered that I couldn't sell it if I tried, it'd be like selling my arm
So I'm going to keep it.
Johnyturbo wrote:What sort of parts are you chasing for it? allot of the parts for the scorps you should be able to steal from sigmas ect. if needed

I would also hit up the guys on sigma-galant they should be able to help you out, they are normally pretty good over there i'm a member and also own 2 scorpions and they have got me out a stack of times when i was in a pinch with finding bits i needed.

As for the Scorp being the poor mans starion, i would have to agree, i have owned about 3-4 of them before i finally "man'ed up" and bought a staz LOL

Suggestion if you are going to go duel carburetors and live with the pain of tuning them might as well go side draft, pick up some 45mm webbers or delletos but the car my be a bit thirsty/love a drink.
Mechanical bits are a breeze, yes, but I need guards and a few trim bits. They're completely different from the Sigmas lol

Sigma-Galant's pretty good, the guys have helped me a bit too lol more with advice than parts though because I have no money lol
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Lummy wrote:Yep, a Galant, not a Sapporo, but hey.

Here's a recent video of the beast on the track...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba1esmVBrt0

-> Best watched in HD.
That thing looks like it go's alright around the track Lummy! she looks much more balanced than i thought a scorp could around the track :D , i noticed it still has that solid rear axle "issue" with the scorp when you tramp it coming out of the bends it always wants to step out in one of the other vids LOL they are a fun car to drive there no doubt about it
jwebb2876 wrote: Mechanical bits are a breeze, yes, but I need guards and a few trim bits. They're completely different from the Sigmas lol

Sigma-Galant's pretty good, the guys have helped me a bit too lol more with advice than parts though because I have no money lol
ah ok yeah i could see that being a problem trying to track down trims and guards in Parks, only thing i could suggest start putting together a weekly budget for parts and one weekend do a pick a part wreckers run in Sydney call ahead and find out if they have any scorps in the yard before you go though, nothing worse than travelling 4 hours to find out it was a waste drive, the guys on sigma-galant should be about to suggest some good yards to deal with in the Sydney area.

Cheers
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Johny,

Yeah, it's good fun on the track. This one, being a Galant from Japan actually DOES have IRS, but with over 300HP at the rears, it's still pretty lively at the back.

If it sounds like it doesn't rev, it's because it doesn't. IPRA regulations mean I have to run a 36mm restrictor on the turbo, so I don't rev it past about 6500 as the peak power and torque is reached at around 5500. It's annoying!! It would be a very quick car with an unrestricted turbo.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I've just finished wrecking both my Sapporos and have sent the shells to the scrappy. I have kept the guards (euro spec ones) from the brown/maroon GSR Sapporo but they're very rusty but as they are unique I kept them anyway. The guards on the blue Sapporo were not any better either so they went with the shell. I do have things like headlamps, tail lamps, grilles, misc interior parts etc.
ImageImage
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

Lummy wrote:Johny,

Yeah, it's good fun on the track. This one, being a Galant from Japan actually DOES have IRS, but with over 300HP at the rears, it's still pretty lively at the back.

If it sounds like it doesn't rev, it's because it doesn't. IPRA regulations mean I have to run a 36mm restrictor on the turbo, so I don't rev it past about 6500 as the peak power and torque is reached at around 5500. It's annoying!! It would be a very quick car with an unrestricted turbo.
NOOoooo wayyyyyy! a scorp(well Galant) with IRS?? i never thought such a thing existed! that's friggen awesome! sucks that its restricted but it still seemed like it got its revs up alright, is this one a 2.6 or a 2lt from Japan? , i did think a few times "geeze his gears run out pretty quick, i wonder what speeds he is doing when he tops them out"
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Johnyturbo they are mechanically identical to the very early JDM A183A Starions, so G63B SOHC ECI-Turbo engine with no intercooler, TC05 turbo, massive oil cooler, IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes and 83 onwards models have LSDs. The chassis prefix for them is A164A while the live axle non turbo models are A163A for the 2.0 or A162A for the 1.8. There's even a non turbo 2.0L Starion in Japan with the live axle and its chassis is A182A.

I have two of these Jap import 'Scorpions', one is a 1980 (one of the first made) Eterna GSR which is the top spec model you can get - has electric pillarless windows front and rear, electric fender mounted mirrors, alarm clock, plush interior etc:

and as I posted earlier in this thread I have just recently picked up another, this time it's an '82 Galant GT which is the lowest spec turbo model you can get - the GT is like the lightweight RS that we have today, and it has wind up windows, no central locking, vinyl door cards and not as nice interior, steel type bumpers instead of the large bumpers the Eterna and Lummy's Galant GSR has, however being a slightly later model one it has VELNAS and also a rear wiper.

The reason why mine and Lummy's fronts are different is because his one is facelifted while both of mine are pre-facelift, although one of the Sapporos I wrecked was facelift so will swap that front over onto the Galant GT as I think it would suit that front better.
ImageImage
Johnyturbo
Big Dorifto

Post by Johnyturbo »

dirtygalant wrote:Johnyturbo they are mechanically identical to the very early JDM A183A Starions, so G63B SOHC ECI-Turbo engine with no intercooler, TC05 turbo, massive oil cooler, IRS, 4 wheel disc brakes and 83 onwards models have LSDs. The chassis prefix for them is A164A while the live axle non turbo models are A163A for the 2.0 or A162A for the 1.8. There's even a non turbo 2.0L Starion in Japan with the live axle and its chassis is A182A.

I have two of these Jap import 'Scorpions', one is a 1980 (one of the first made) Eterna GSR which is the top spec model you can get - has electric pillarless windows front and rear, electric fender mounted mirrors, alarm clock, plush interior etc:
I am insanely jealous. :(
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

It's had a bit of work under the bonnet too, with a TC conversion to a VR4 motor...

Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

Re-listed Import one in WA.
Sold for just over $200 last time I think.
No idea where Hazelmere is though, transporting it could be a killer.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Sappo ... 45f16c811b
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hey lummy, what's the purpose of that coolant reservoir in the pic?

Also, if you have a restrictor that's preventing you from revving, have you considered changing your inlet mani back to a standard one? The standard ones are meant to flow better at mid-range rpms, so you could be making more power "where it counts" with the restrictor and the stock inlet mani?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:hey lummy, what's the purpose of that coolant reservoir in the pic?

Also, if you have a restrictor that's preventing you from revving, have you considered changing your inlet mani back to a standard one? The standard ones are meant to flow better at mid-range rpms, so you could be making more power "where it counts" with the restrictor and the stock inlet mani?
To make sure there are no air in the system
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL