Engine Bay Spruce Up - Episode I

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Engine Bay Spruce Up - Episode I

Post by Camotec »

Hey Guys well today was a free to do anything day, so I started a spruce up on the engine bay to clean things up and let my creative painting run wild...

EPISODE I.
in the first day I pulled all the cooler piping off and also pulled my cam cover off much to my dismay i found another issue...

Issue Description:
Noticed oil marks on the bell housing at the rear some time ago didn't think much of it at the time until today when i pulled the cam cover off i noticed that the D piece was missing from the back of the head, This explains a couple of things 1. why was my oil going down 2. why did my motor have an unusually tappy noise 3. crankcase smells coming from the engine bay.

First things first pulled the D piece off the spare motor and then used some loctite gasket sealant (blue) on the back of the freshly cleaned D piece and pushed it into the hole where it resides. Fixed.
Now my PCV will actually work and oil will stay where it is supposed to.

Now onto the fun stuff:
I resprayed the cam cover in a JUN like style from Black to Orange and Painted the Cam pulley cover with the same orange paint (all engine enamel) Then i got the hot side pipe of the intercooler piping and resprayed them in a high gloss black engine enamel, now i have some shiny ass pipes and shiny cover.

Pics Below:

To Be Continued..... (More Tomorrow)
In The Next Episode I am Talking Chamleon Red-Orange Flip Paint Job on the Cool Side Cooler Pipes :) and more things painted.

Cheers :)
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

ooh can't wait to c the pipes. make it all funky so when the cops lift ya bonnet they get an epileptic fit :P
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

haha :)

That would be a bad thing though could you imagine driving past seeing a cop car then a starion with the hood up then me standing there with a cop lying on the ground playing twister by himself hehe his mate would get out beat me up thinking i had stabbed him.

Anyways yeah so tomorrow i will do a bit more and top up the oil now that my engine isn't shouting my gearbox a drink.

I plan to as i said paint the cooler pipes with chameleon paint Red-Orange Combo, hope it looks ok once i get the heat shields of wantsom i will do those too.

I am also polishing the front turbo housing and some other bits. :)

Will need to get some silicone and stainless bolts :) all shiny heh the more care the less work :)
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Looking damn nice there! will be awesome to see how the cooler pipes turn out.

Bonus points for the phrase "playing twister with himself", hahahaha, comedy gold!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Watch the heat shields, the one over the turbo anyway, the heat will turn them black or cook the paint off
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

Alspos wrote:Watch the heat shields, the one over the turbo anyway, the heat will turn them black or cook the paint off
even using engine enamil?
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Well maybe engine enamel depends on temp but i have manifold paint which is good for up too 1500 degrees c available at repco ;) (shameless plug)
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I'm surprised you were still able to drive it missing that seal in the back of the head. I remember one time I had just adjusted the valves and I forgot to put that seal back in. Took it for a test drive down the road and back (about 300m). By the time I got back there was smoke pissing out of the engine bay from oil hitting the exhaust and there was a trail of oil all the way down the road and back :)
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Before
After

Hi temp enamel. (I think the 550C one)
Paint is still great, just the red pigment went black. Looks like it was supposed to be like it now.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

HCCA, tell me about it man , i haven't driven the car again and won't until i top up the oil and finish these pipes and bits, tis looking very good. will post pics when it is finished :) (hopefully tonight)
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Very smooth Al, i like it

you should see these pipes they are shiny as have a nice deep colour, just hope it stays that way there only cold side pipes so it should be ok but if they come out tonight fine i am going to highly recommend a product after i drive around a bit.

the hot side pipes are gloss black in a heat enamel, i also did my inline coolant filter cap in the flip paint too looks sweet,

And I am getting red 8.8mm hi-performance leads tomorrow or should i get 10mm leads? i think 8.8 is heaps though