3 piece spoiler removal

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

3 piece spoiler removal

Post by popup »

How does this come out? I had a quick look and it seems like the inner metal skin would be in the way of any bolts or screws. Need to remove to make sure there is no rust
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

There should be access through the holes right at the back....you'll need small arms/hands. Across the hatch you need to remove trims and should have access to nuts etc through holes in the glass.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The side pieces unbolt from the inside, you have to remove the boot interior side trim pieces.

The rear piece is bolted onto the fibreglass panel at the bottom of the hatch glass. If you remove the plastic trim that covers the rear wiper motor, there should be holes in the glass which allow you to remove the nuts. There will also be two cap-head screws at each end of the rear piece which you should be able to see from the outside. these are usually rusted in place the a complete bastard to remove!

Of note, none of the rear hatch on out cars is actually metal, the whole thing is one (giant) glass sheet with the panel at the bottom being fibreglass/plastic.. Its nice, because there is nothing to rust! :-).
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

It just occurred to me that you could be meaning the front 3 piece spoiler...?

If so, then yeah, you have to separate the bumper skin from the bumper iron to access the screws holding the spoiler to the bumper skin.
popup
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by popup »

I did mean the rear one! Thanks, that's a lot clearer now. The manuals I have only show the one piece design.
1986 UK 2 litre intercooled narrow body