JD Starion steering wheel restoration?

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
StarionJD
[P] Plater austaz

JD Starion steering wheel restoration?

Post by StarionJD »

Hi All,

My JD steering wheel has seen better days and needs a reco.
It is quite spongy in feel and twists on the steering wheel itself.
Any ideas or people who do restorations. Eastern suburbs, Melbourne.

Do I need a puller to remove the steering wheel or is there a trick to it?

TIA
Jack
Jako
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Undo centre nut, think from memory its either a 17mm or a 19mm and take note if the front wheels are pointing in the straight position then pull like a muther fu##er!

T-man :-)
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Ok...undo the centre nut after removing the horn pad. ***** Do not take the nut right off ***** or the steering wheel will break your face if it comes off in a hurry. Grab a texta or liquid paper pen and put a line on the splined shaft and the steering wheel spline, help line it back up later.

Spray the spline with some RP7 or similar.

Move the seat right back, grip the wheel and wobble it a little as you pull it. Then pull some more. If you're lucky it will come off easy....but it will most likely pop your back muscles before it comes loose.

Once it moves, take the nut off and remove the wheel.

As for restoration....not sure.....buy some really good glue in a syringe and inject it? Slice the inside open and sqirt glue in then reseal? Not sure how the professionals do it. Or buy an aftermarket one.
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

I've got a JD wheel undamaged. Currently have it in car. Or can give you the GSR-V wheel with damaged leather.
Take the leather off and you have the Australian JD version. Or have the leather repaired for a better wheel.
Really annoying how the Australian delivered Starions ended up with the no-frills steering wheel!

Here's the link when it was for sale... http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ring+wheel
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Jack, call up Sean Muir from www.steeringwheelcompany.com.au on 0421 983 488 he might still be doing them.

Another option is to do it yourself: There is often a little hole in the back side of factory steering wheels, some starion wheels have them right at the top where they're needed. Drill out the hole until you hit the metal frame and then pump a resin glue into that hole an refill the hole you drilled.
Let it cure and presto! It's fixed.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Pretty sure i can reco those babys if u like. Can also make it a little thicker and custom stitching too!