Will skyline wheels fit on a staz?

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
merlin
Enthusiast

Post by merlin »

nope.
go visit Repco and ask to see the "Nice Products" catalogue.
There are longer wheel studs in there.
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

ps, its illegal.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

maybe in your country :D

probably in mine too. but who's gonna look
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

theres also a reason its illegal, a very legitmate one.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

id guess the reason is to do with stresses on the lengthened wheel bolt. how thick would the spacer have to be, so how much longer would the bolt be?

im serious, i actually think it might be legal here, you can buy extended wheel lugs over the counter
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

20mm

its puts the stress entirely onto the bolts instead of partially onto the hub aswell.
K_Man
****WELCOME TO AUSTARION!****

Post by K_Man »

R31 skyline, r33 non turbo, s13, U12 Pintara, and 910 Bluebird. There are a lot of other nissans, any 4 stud nissan that's bigger than a pulsar really should fit :P (stud pattern, not offset)

Hi btw, i'm new here :D

(this is my first post....woohoo! :beer )
I'm here to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all outta gum.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

Alspos wrote:Old RWD cars like the Staz have +20mm offset (R31's, 240Z, Sprinters etc)

Newer cars like Skylines, 180SX's are around +38 / +40mm for whatever reason.

You must check what the offset of the rims are before you buy, or the only tyres you'll be able to use without huge spacers will be 175's !!!!
um... isnt a 20mm spacer the sort of thing used to put fwd wheels on a rwd? surely two rwd cars would have closer offsets than that?
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Different makers, different ages, no standard between manufacturers. All combine to make buying aftermarket wheels a minefield.
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

I vaguely remember something about spacers being legal if they were welded onto the wheels. I think they may have to be engineered too if done this way. I didn't bother memorising this info accurately as i don't like the idea of using spacers.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

I'll echo Will on those sentiments. However, i would consider welding on spacers modifying the wheel, and thus okay, heh.

Thing you really have to watch is the distance from the hub to the face of the wheel, if that makes sense. If the face is right on the outside of the wheel, youve got alot more force on the hub/wheelbearing. Thats why you want some Deep Dish beauties.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Even welding a spacer on may not be too good, the recess where the wheel nut sits will still be out too far, thus still stressing the studs or requiring longer studs.
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Will »

Yeap - There must be a limit to stud length I'd assume, but that's what the engineers are for - to work that stuff out.

Another issue is that clearance problems and simply making the wheel fit shouldn't be the primary concern. By altering the offset, you make changes to steering geometry as well as potentially changing the loads on all suspension components, not just the hubs and studs. So you can make the car tramline like a bitch or some other nasty handling effect from just changing offset. There are scrub radii and steering angles to consider too. What a can of worms eh?
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

dammit i bought these wheels are theyre bloody well going to go on something :x (already put a set on the ex's supra :D) i love skyline wheels.

...maybe i'll adapt some 5 lug hubs onto my Z
GADGET
I love starions

Post by GADGET »

If you can contact Disturbed his car has r31 stud pattern wheels on it. He may have some helpful hints
TEAM SR: we brake for 1Jz's!
have u been roasted lately?