coil overs suck

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

You won't get many firm replies until the price and details are confirmed. I expect you'll need to quote a firm delivery price as well before people will answer.

Keep us infomed. :)
DJpowerHaus
[L] Plates

Post by DJpowerHaus »

I'm interested in some rears only.. Would that be possible? I already have Tein's on the front of my Starion :-D
www.projectzerog.com

Working on my 4th 4G6x Swap
jeff
I've been here before

Re: coil overs suck

Post by jeff »

BDperformance wrote:most people in the U.S. are thinkers, some are do'rs. others dont give a
ph&k. anyway i want to share an idea of mine with my pals across the water. these shity factory struts can be REPLACED!! replaced you say?
YES replaced. where the lower ball joint bolts up to the spindle, look in that opening there. see that weld bead. it can be cut out, and the stru junk'd. now the spindle can be set up for threading by a competent machinist, so the spindle can be utilized for the multi adjustable struts/shocks. i am working with a world wide known company that handles struts/shocks, to have a kit set up for these cars. ill have a few pics posted in my yahoo photos next week or 2 then i will post the links to it

arent you the same BDperformance who was offering carbon fiber hoods and lightweight a/c brackets on KDMperformance.com but never came through?
you really need to do some ground work and see if this can actually be done like make up a protoytpe or something.........otherwise you just get us all jazzed up for nothing.
BDperformance
[P] Plates

Post by BDperformance »

not sure yet dj, you might have to find a pair of used 1's and make adapters for them. which any machine shop can do.

YES, I AM. & 1 MORE TIME. " I DONT WORK WITH CARBON FIBER."

THE A/C BRACKET : this has been put on hold for these reasons.
1) cost to manufacture to the actual need for the product. dealer price for cast aluminum a/c bracket $180.00
2) all that were interrested you could count on 1 hand and still have a couple fingers left.
3) a few quotes i recieved for the said amount that were interrested.
for 5 cast aluminum a/c brakets, company 1: $1100.00 without machining any bolt holes. company 2: $1594.00 without machining. company # 3:
$1975.00 with machining all needed bolt holes. now divide each of those quotes by 5. doesnt seem like a good price for just 3-4 people to have an aluminum a/c bracket. at the least each braket without machining would cost $220.00, who do you know would pay $220 for a reprodution aluminum a/c bracket?

BACK TO THE STRUTS.

"THE COMPANY WILL BE MAKING THESE KITS FOR STARION/CONQUEST."

"NOT ME!"

"please read carefully, instead of jumping to conclusions"

ALL I DID WAS GO TO THEM AND LET THEM KNOW THAT THER IS AN INTREST IN A CUSTOM KIT. THEY TOLD ME THEY WERE WORKING ON LEGAL TRANSLATION (JAPANEESE TO ENGLISH) TO GET THIS PROGRAM
STARTED HERE.

THE COMPANY WILL MAKE THE KITS/STRUTS IN JAPAN THEN SHIP HOWEVER MANY IS NEEDED TO WHICH EVER COUNTRY THEY MAY HAVE A DEALER IN.

AS SOON AS A SET ARRIVES IN THE U.S. FOR TESTING & TUNING,
THEIR ENGINEER WILL CALL ME TO LET ME KNOW SO I CAN BRING THEM MY 88. SOON AS THEY HAVE THE SUSPENSION TUNED, THEY WILL SET UP OTHER KITS FOR STARQUEST TO SIMILAR SETTINGS.

WITHIN THE NEXT 2 WEEKS I WILL MAKE MY WAY TO THEIR SHOP AND SPEAK TO THEM ON THIS SUBJECT. I WILL ALSO SEE IF THEY CAN GET A KIT PRICE AND ALSO A GROUP BUY PRICE. I WAS TOLD BY THE SALESPERSON, LOOK TO PAY PRICES SIMILAR TO THE 240SX. AND MORE THAN LIKELY WILL BE 15 WAY ADJUSTABLE.

as far as me making a kit, I have no doubt that i can. I just dont have that amount of "time" it would take to make a complete kit from design & raw materials, to an operational kit. meaning 15way adjustables for all 4 corners. Now modify a kit or make adaptors for almost any kit on the market, that would take some time, but not as much as designing & actualy making, then testing them, adjusting them as a kit.
those that can follow keep up,those who cant leave them
Casey L
[L] Plates

Post by Casey L »

What company makes these? I want to know that before I put any money down.
BDperformance
[P] Plates

Post by BDperformance »

a very popular company, thats involved in all forms of racing. as soon as i find out the word on this program, i will let everyone know then.
i think their 240sx kit runs around $1700usd. and thats thier mid level kit.
which is good for street and race. I have been waiting for 8 months now for this kit from them, and call them 2-3 times everymonth. alot of people have just recently noticed this topic,and already have ran out of patience.
me, im still hanging in there.
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

BDperformance wrote:

meaning 15way adjustables for all 4 corners. Now modify a kit or make adaptors for almost any kit on the market, that would take some time, but not as much as designing & actualy making, then testing them, adjusting them as a kit.
no way we need at least 30 way adjustable 15 way just wont cut it!! :shock:
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

OK this may be beating a dead horse but there are cheaper alternative out there already in effevt and tested to work.

Example:

FRONTS... You can allready use inserts for these, anywere from OEM replacements to Adjustable Koni's and everything in between. Simply open strut's top nut toss old inserts and replace. Spacers will bve needed for anything other than OEM replacements.

REARS..... The easiest option now is to convert your original sealed struts to accept inserts like the fronts. Here's how...

1- Cut aprox 2in off the top of your original rear struts
2- Remove all the internals
3- Source out a set of trashed useless FRONT shocks (as donors)
4- Cut aprox 2in off the top of these "DONOR" front struts
(You will be using the top were the NUT is)
See were I am going with this ?
5- Weld the front TOP to the REAR bottoms and smooth out the welds
6- Use some piece of pipe (aprox 3in long) to slide OVER the welded area and weld that in place (Top and Bottom) for added strenght and safety.

I preffer this method as the TOPS of the struts are NOT under a hard a load as the bottoms are, the top is just there to keep the insert from pulling out the top during suspension decompression.

Now you have a rear strut housing, with factory mounting hardware for safety that will accept an insert. And YES you WILL need to use a spacer depending on what insert you use.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

Oscar-the-Grouch wrote:OK this may be beating a dead horse but there are cheaper alternative out there already in effevt and tested to work.

Example:

FRONTS... You can allready use inserts for these, anywere from OEM replacements to Adjustable Koni's and everything in between. Simply open strut's top nut toss old inserts and replace. Spacers will bve needed for anything other than OEM replacements.

REARS..... The easiest option now is to convert your original sealed struts to accept inserts like the fronts. Here's how...

1- Cut aprox 2in off the top of your original rear struts
2- Remove all the internals
3- Source out a set of trashed useless FRONT shocks (as donors)
4- Cut aprox 2in off the top of these "DONOR" front struts
(You will be using the top were the NUT is)
See were I am going with this ?
5- Weld the front TOP to the REAR bottoms and smooth out the welds
6- Use some piece of pipe (aprox 3in long) to slide OVER the welded area and weld that in place (Top and Bottom) for added strenght and safety.

there is a lot better way to do it oscar. especially good if you dont have some extra strut around to weld on to the top of a rear shock

simply take the rear shock to a decent machine shop and have them thread the inside to aqccept the nut.

and instead of using spacers the same can be done on the bottom. cup open and thread the bottonm to accept a pipe plug or theaded rod

spacers suck in my opinion.
BDperformance
[P] Plates

Post by BDperformance »

c130 transport jeff. i am working with tein to go through a distributor for a private label group buy. tein wont do the group buy through them. good thing is they wont cost $2000/ set
. I was told around $1000 +/- 200. they would be made off the type flex platform. this is what they will look like. actual pics are of 300zx/z31 suspension. the rears will be exactly like starquest. the more people interrested the less it will cost. soon as i find out the exact cost on this group buy for 25 people i will post it. [ i know these are JIC's. teins are identical]

[/img]
BDperformance
[P] Plates

Post by BDperformance »

well folks. the cheapest tein can make a set on a private label program is $1500 usd/set.

it would be cheaper to mod as my original idea like belowthis

http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/mk1fcoa1.jpg http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/mk1fcob1.jpg
http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/mk1fcoc1.jpg

only drawback to this strut is the adjustment on the bottom.
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

I will be looking for a set in about 3 months
BDperformance
[P] Plates

Post by BDperformance »

mookee or 101propose will also be making these sets.
only drawback on the struts he used for the front has the adjustment on the bottom of the strut. this requires the suspension to be disassembled
to make an adjustment. he might change it he might not ...
teins are the only brand i know of that have all adjustments on the upper part of the strut. they are also rebuildable, that being the case i can score used sets on a site in japan from $400 - $800. and use these in the kits im working on
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

From memory widebody fronts won't fit narrowbody cars anyway.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

Starion_Turbo wrote:From memory widebody fronts won't fit narrowbody cars anyway.
they will fit but change camber quite a bit. on a lowered flatty a widebody strut housing with help with camber