paint

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

I imagine how good your painting skills are effects how much paint you use. e.g. you keep going over it until its an even job.

I wanted to do a home job on my Staz, but I don't have an appropriate place to setup a paint booth. Bugga.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

I imagine how good your painting skills are effects how much paint you use. e.g. you keep going over it until its an even job.
Or you want a finish that will last more than 5 minutes.
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Ive recently organised 4 litres plus thinners for my wifes Starions. Well thats what she says anyway.

You know considering she hasnt seen the colour yet, I really hope like hell she likes it.

Could be a dry time in Kiwistars bedroom otherwise
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

kiwistar wrote:Could be a dry time in Kiwistars bedroom otherwise
LOL well if she doesn't like the colour and it gets a bit dry in the bedroom, u could always add the 4 litres of paint plus thinners to spice things up :P
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

decoy wrote: LOL well if she doesn't like the colour and it gets a bit dry in the bedroom, u could always add the 4 litres of paint plus thinners to spice things up :P
You got some weird hobbies Deeks....

By the way, 1 litre will not cover a wall 12 feet long and 9 feet high twice ..... bugger :(
Guru
Lil' Dorifto

Alternative to paint

Post by Guru »

I think we've all missed a very important point... an alternative to paint.

Have you considered using wall paper? People use vinyl on their car all the time, why not take it that extra step too far?!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

House paint adds that special texture to your car too :wtf: :wtf: :wtf:

I found some Chameleon style paints called Kaleidascope, was thinking of getting red to gold. Very good difference, unlike a pearl, its a solid colour change in different light - rich red to rich gold. They do three other types as well.

AutoBody Theropy did a mint job on their Starlet GT using 2.5L of paint (2 x 1L kits + 1 x 500mL kits).
So I estimate 4L, $399 per litre, thats $1200, which is much cheaper than the Harlequin genuine.

Kits include clearcoat, primer, hardener, paint and a few more things. I'm planning on making the Starion red with colour change to gold for under $2000NZ with this. I think its quite neat, stand out anyway.

$2000NZ involves flogging off my car, and spending money on Starion instead of paying back urgent debt, but thats the breaks :)
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

P.S. In real life I don't look like a duck when I smile
Rev
I like starions

Post by Rev »

Have you considered using wall paper? People use vinyl on their car all the time, why not take it that extra step too far?!
There is a guy down the road from me with an old 1950's Morris Major who painted his car with a paintbrush.. It looks worse than using $2 spraycans.

I've also heard of a Honduh Civic that drives around the southern suburbs of Perth with fake carbon-fibre roll over the ENTIRE BODY with clear coat over the top :wtf: , but unfortunately (or fortunately?) I haven't seen this in person.
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Spiders web, you are from hamilton, of course you look like a duck.

And if I were you wny not spend the paint money on making it go faster?
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Its a hard choice kiwistar.

I would be doing some basic things to give the SOHC 8 valve more balls, including raising the boost a couple of psi,openning the bonnet vents for cooling, open the intake, new muffler, and possibly a VR4 cooler with a new air damn.

Car has panel damage plus rust, so if I go down the paint trail now, I wont need to pay the panel beaters to colour match and repaint the rust areas and multi-coloured front panel.

Paint + basics I can do for under $2500 :D and have a car that looks awesome, and still goes great.

I don't have a garage or the tools to do any real performance mods at the moment, and I also can't go without a car for more than a few days. So hp gains may have to wait on the backburner until I get a flat with a good garage, a $500 runabout car, and all the tools I need :D
kiwistar
I like starions

Post by kiwistar »

Been there, know the situation.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Looks like I've sold the Galant (75%) for $2200

Wanted $2500, but oh well. $2200 + $1200 on BarterCard to spend.