RHD conversion stateside

Technical questions and ideas regarding how your Starion looks inside and out, bodykits to stereos.
freetoskate124
[L] Plates

RHD conversion stateside

Post by freetoskate124 »

Hey I'm new to this forum but I got a 1987 Starion widebody shell a couple of months ago with plans to build a g54b for it. Seeing as how it's a bare shell (cut harness, no interior, ect.), I began entertaining the idea of doing a RHD and rack and pinion steering conversion on it. I know there are RHD versions out there (JDM, Australian, and Britain), so I was wondering if anyone could tell me what I would need to do to the wiring harness, firewall, ect. and where i could find those parts.

thanks
freetoskate124
[L] Plates

Post by freetoskate124 »

bump. cmon guys, i could really use the input
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

One of us could supply all the bits you need and it wouldn't cost you much for the parts HOWEVER;
-We don't have black RHD dashes. Very rare here and you won't get one from Aus. Blue grey or maroon.
-The shipping will cost you a motza. I don't know how much, but add up the bulk and weight of steering box, idler arm, RHD power steer lines, steering column brace, dash panel, accell cable, pedal box (I think different), wiring loom, wiper arms & actuators, plenum grille, power window switches, rear view mirrors. Even if you ignore some of the luxuries (switches, mirrors etc) and steering components if you are serious about a rack there is alot of stuff. Will you need a RHD rack from a donor car? Even with sea shipping (3 months) I could see it costing $500+.

If the money doesn't scare you then get in contact with redzone or starionVr4 (two people I know who will have the bits you want) and get serious. Good luck.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

MrBishi wrote: -We don't have black RHD dashes. Very rare here and you won't get one from Aus. Blue grey or maroon.
That's the least of your concerns.. the dashes can be spray painted black pretty easily :beer

I painted my centre console and my roof lining black.. looks like new - very shiny, , and hasn't faded yet :D

Thanks to starion4me for the tip on painting!
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

wouldnt some JB and a large number of JD (lol large number of JD) have black dash.

I know i kept the dash from mine.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

no JB, and prob 20 or so JD would have had black dashes. and you'd be pretty silly to sell one if you had one. unless you wanted to sell it to me :D (so i had a spare for my widey)

basically what anthony said. shipping will be horrendous, as the dash is over 110cms. one option would be cutting the dash in half, then welding it back together when it got there, and recovering it. would be cheaper to do that than ship a whole intact one.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
freetoskate124
[L] Plates

Post by freetoskate124 »

thanks, it'll probably be a longer time then before i start gathering parts and whatnot
livestarquest
[P] Plates

Post by livestarquest »

I am also in the U.S. and was thinking of doing this to once upon a time. Wouldn't it be easier to just find a shell someone is selling in Aus or somewhere else and ship the whole car? If you could get a good deal on a shell over there then all you would have to worry about is shipping it right? Also, how rare are the widebodies over there? It seems like most of yall have flatties. I have been looking for a widebody shell if anybody has one?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

only about 20 widebodies in australia and they're all worth $$$$$.. none imported by mitsubishi.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
livestarquest
[P] Plates

Post by livestarquest »

Hmm, so I guess my next question is where would be the best place to find a RHD widebody???
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

JAPAN!!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
livestarquest
[P] Plates

Post by livestarquest »

How does everyone else find one? Craigslist? Whats the best way to do local searches in japan?
livestarquest
[P] Plates

Post by livestarquest »

Guess it was a dumb question then lol
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

A few of the japanese export websites have them occassionally but as has been said its about $12-$15000 NZD ($8000USD) to have one landed here so they are not at all cheap.
Sure itd prob be cheaper to just do a conversion.
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Doesn't Australia have RHD cars? Do you have a LHD Starion?

Are you after one of these?

You could only get black dashes over here.
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con