Found thanks Ja bonnet vents

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Found thanks Ja bonnet vents

Post by MR Bender »

hello

my dad needs a set of bonnet vents for his super7.

can anyone help?

thanks
Glen
Last edited by MR Bender on Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

I can help Glen, I'm scrapping my JA in January. The bonnet is stuffed from hail damage but the vents are good. Can he wait that long?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

enthuzed wrote:I can help Glen, I'm scrapping my JA in January. The bonnet is stuffed from hail damage but the vents are good. Can he wait that long?

i will ask him but im pretty sure he needs them soonish because under his bonnet its like a oven.

otherwise i could give him my vents of my car for the time being?

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

MR Bender wrote:
enthuzed wrote:I can help Glen, I'm scrapping my JA in January. The bonnet is stuffed from hail damage but the vents are good. Can he wait that long?

i will ask him but im pretty sure he needs them soonish because under his bonnet its like a oven.

otherwise i could give him my vents of my car for the time being?
If it is just the heat issue space up the bonnet at the hinges or remove the rubber seal. That will shed more heat than bonnet vents. Or do just do it until you source some bonnet vents.
1985 JB Starion #157
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

^^^^^
that would work good if it was a normal car but its not.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

:drool:
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

MR Bender wrote:^^^^^
that would work good if it was a normal car but its not...
Posting something like this requires a lot more info!!!
Spec's please (or ban!!!). :D

I allways wanted to build me one with a 3liter 24v mitsu-motor...
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Raising the rear of the bonnet or removing the rubber seal on most cars will not aid with cooling while the car is moving. It is a high pressure area and will increase the pressure under the bonnet (hence it is where the fresh air comes from for you inside vents). When I had a coolant leak, no steam came out from my raised rear of the bonnet to I slowed to below about 20km/h.
Muz
[P] Plates

Post by Muz »

Glen, You can grab the ones on the white JA shell out the back of my brothers workshop if you want. If you take them off you can have them.
Cheers
Muz
JD Pristine condition. JA tarmac spec car.JB tarmac race car, JB ex Gp "A" car being reborn. Had Starions for 25 years.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

dirty sanchez wrote:Raising the rear of the bonnet or removing the rubber seal on most cars will not aid with cooling while the car is moving. It is a high pressure area and will increase the pressure under the bonnet (hence it is where the fresh air comes from for you inside vents). When I had a coolant leak, no steam came out from my raised rear of the bonnet to I slowed to below about 20km/h.
the first part of what you said is not entirely true - the raised bit does not vent air, because, as you said, it's a high pressure area. What it does do, is force cool air into the engine bay, which assists in heat removal from the engine bay and components. All of the air will generally flow under the car from the radiator as well as from this opening
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
woops
Big Dorifto

Post by woops »

I don't know about the starion but when i had some 30mm spacers under the bonnet hinges in my sigma it definitely let hot air out the back. The way I know this for certain is that the air for the interior air vents came from vents located between the bonnet and windscreen was always hot.

I can think of a couple of reasons for this

Maybe the sigma having a larger frontal area than the Starions causing a higher air pressure in the engine bay or;
the raising of the rear of the bonnet might create a small low pressure region which is enough to draw hot air out of the engine bay or;
the velocity of the air over the car is creating a suction effect which is drawing air out of the engine bay.

I never got a chance to confirm how much of a difference it made to the under bonnet temps but I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy having hot air through the air vents all the time and enjoy knowing that if you have a water or oil leak you'll end up with it all over your windshield.