Power Antenna Mast & Rope- Is there a known replacement

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Power Antenna Mast & Rope- Is there a known replacement

Post by glutonous gloop »

Guys,

Anyone know of a compatible (power) antenna "cable" for our starions to replace my recently snapped one ?

Thanks
Gloop
Last edited by glutonous gloop on Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

PM or email Ric on the forums.
He changed his over, but I can't remember the brand he used.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
toysrus
400HP by 2007!

Post by toysrus »

I've got one which works and isnt bent but needs some grease as its a little squeaky somewhere........if your interested, PM me :beer
Computer games don't affect kids I mean if PacMan affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music :D
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Thanks guys.

I'm actually looking for the "plastic cable" inside that pushes the antenna mast up and down. I believe that's the bit that has snapped on this occasion as I've had to replace one of these before in a late model Verada.

I'm reasonably sure that the power assembly and mast on mine is OK. If I can't locate a suitable cable then I might have to revert to looking for the complete unit.

Gloop
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Yeah - Ric only had to change the 'worm' too, not the whole assembly.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Thanks for the advice. I'll PM Ric and see if he can head me in the right direction.

If I get details on any available part I'll post it up for others.

Gloop
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Just buy one of those Universal ones! They're a complete unit! I got one a while back for my Prelude from K-Mart for $40! :wink:
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Mine too is stuffed. I don't know how to get it out of the car though. The car doesn't let me get there easy enough. Mine just doesn't go up and down anymore. It sounds like it tries, but it doesn't move :(
glutonous gloop
I like starions

sounds like you too have a snapped cable - not that uncommon
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

the "rope" should be avail seperate
aeropro should have them loose, try repco
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
glutonous gloop
I like starions

rallidave,

looked through aeropro's catalogue and nothing resembling Starion/Cordia/Sigma etc listed. Might need to somehow match it up to a later vehicle spec.

gloop
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

if someone could tell me how to fix it it would be such a big help as I don't have time to leave it out of the car to work on it because its my daily driver.
glutonous gloop
I like starions

Mine too is stuffed. I don't know how to get it out of the car though. The car doesn't let me get there easy enough. Mine just doesn't go up and down anymore. It sounds like it tries, but it doesn't move
Getting it out shouldn't be too difficult. It took me about ~15mins to get it out.

1. With a standard screwdriver unscrew the locking nut on the outside rear panel where the mast comes through, anticlockwise of course.
2. Remove the left steel shroud (boot floor) next to the spare wheel. From memory two screws located at the rear and one up near the rear left seat.
3. You should now be able to unclip and remove the side carpet cover
4. Unclip the two connectors (electric), one to the antenna relay under the steel shroud mentioned above, the other one to the antenna box.
5. Unscrew the earth wire from the antenna motor, don't worry about removing the other end (to the chassis).
6. Unscrew the two retaining screws holding the antenna box to the side panel.
7. Either from under the car or if you can get your hand down far enough from inside the hole where the antenna fits push in / or out the rubber grommet thingy which contains the drain hose from the antenna box.

At this point your antenna box is now free inside the side panel.

Depending on what's happened to the "hose" you may find you can pull out the "mast" because with the hose broken there is little holding it in the box anymore. I was able to pull mine through the outside hole making it easier to remove the antenna box from the small side hole.

If you find you can't pull the mast right out it maybe because the broken rope is jamming (or it's not broken - suspect not) - you could try with a little force to pull the mast out of the box - which is what I did.

Alternatively retract the mast as far down as possible, again you may be restricted getting it down all the way if the "rope" is jamming" and with the antenna box now free lower it down inside the side panel to then work it through the side hole, mast end first. If your'e still having some difficulty you could remove the bottom bracket on the antenna box (held with two screws) which will give you even more room to play with.

Sounds a journey but it's really quite a simple process.

The problem I'm having now is finding a replacement "mast" and "rope" for the Starion (they come as one by the way) rather than buying the whole antenna assembly which in some respects is overkill if there is a compatible mast/rope available. As Rallidave indicated "Aeropro" seem to be the big players in this market. There's a mast/rope in their catalogue for a Magna/Pajero which seems VERY close to the spec. of my Starion one, the main exception being the "retracted" height, out by ~ 4cm(Starion retracted ~210cm, Magna version ~250cm) but this MAY not be a problem. I'd like to try it out first but not sure if I can find a dealer willing to let me do so.

Alternatively, it seems a whole new antenna assembly which is $100 + plus some minor rewiring.

Gloop
[/quote]