WTB: 2.6ltr Turbo exhaust Manifold

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

With a FWD car they usually go for a low mount turbo as they seem to fit better. Maybe look into getting one made up or adapting the factory manifold
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
CAD
Newcomer

Post by CAD »

JD_Stazza_Brendan wrote:With a FWD car they usually go for a low mount turbo as they seem to fit better. Maybe look into getting one made up or adapting the factory manifold
Yea ive thought about modifying a standard exhaust manifold... one more question... seeing as though obviously you guys have a little more experience with these turbocharged engines... what is an ideal turbo to run on the system, so i know what to modify it to suit... obviously i dont want too big a turbo... but i dont want it to run out puff too early too. The engine isnt being raced and wont be revved too high... I do alot of towing, any ideas? Thanks!
turbofusion
Lil' Dorifto

Post by turbofusion »

they have a bunch for sale on www.starquestclub.com.

that instigator was talking about shipping from amorica.
Instigator_88TSI
[L] Plates

Post by Instigator_88TSI »

turbofusion wrote:
that instigator was talking about shipping from amorica.

amer-O-ca wheres that?!?! :p
Corey
88 Conquest ¤ 3EX ¤ Apexi N1 ¤ TXS BOV & MBC ¤ K&N ¤ NJVH ¤
88 starion (parts)
CAD
Newcomer

Post by CAD »

*bump*

Stil lookin
jakobsladderz
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jakobsladderz »

I had a TN Magna with a turbo on it :D. My setup used the TD04L off a GSR Lancer.. A bit small really for good power but more than enough for some good fun. Had about 130HP at the front wheels(up from ~90 with an EFI NA magna I guess), which is quite enough to make 1 magna drive in a straight line no matter which way the front wheels were pointed. If I had another go I'd probably use a bit bigger turbo but the biggest advantage of the TD04 was that it had a build-in dump pipe setup so I hardly had to change the exhaust at all. Boosting up by 1500RPM was also a hoot..
The Approach I used was to get a TN carby exhaust manifold (the one with the built-in cat converter) and unbolt the lower half. I got a couple of plates made up, one to match the manifold outlet and one to match the turbo inlet. I used some steampipe bends (cast steel tube, ~5mm+ wall thickness) to join the two together and put the turbo where I wanted it. The turbo hung down the front of the motor (B/W the engine and the radiator) and there's plenty of room for it.
I was running about 10 PSI boost and had a smallish saab intercooler hooked up also. I had a few problems with the front engine mount sliding up and down with the torque (and making some hefty banging noises). The funniest thing was when the front end got some tramp going on and the horn button would bounce off the steering wheel :D .
They're so easy to find bits for, it was a shock going to a starion after having a Magna..

Duncan
Trispen - A form of intelligent grass. It grows a single, tough stalk and makes its home on lawns. When it sees the lawnmower coming it lies down and pops up again after it has gone by. (Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff)
JA Starion - Mechanic's Training and on-road EFI testing laboratory.