Wanted!! GSR-VR 'widebody' Starion

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
Coltfiction
Dorifto!

Post by Coltfiction »

At the top of the site here, 'Image Upload'..... can't wait dude :drool:
=FSA= 'Performance Tuning'

-Microtech's fitted & tuned
-Advanced ignition systems
-Turbocharger upgrades/rebuilds

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

This may be a DUMB ASS question BUT....

WHY will you have to conver the LHD into RHD ?
cant you just drive the LHD there ?

As far as I know we can import a RHD car and keep it RHD. Of corse you DONT get the right to drive on the WRONG side of the road like the Aussies do :D rofl

Like I said JUSt currious as I have no idea what Australia laws are for car importing.

Thanks
Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY
ImageImageImage
starion.gsrvr
OoOhhh BabY

wide

Post by starion.gsrvr »

MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

better make that
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Oscar,
I'm a bit vague on the laws but I think the car has to be at least 30yrs old to stay LHD in Aus (every state has different laws). There are a few newish Camaros, Trucks, etc that get imported every year and need to get converted to RHD which can cost $10K+. Hence most of the US cars are older to save the hassle.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Coltfiction
Dorifto!

Post by Coltfiction »

You can't drive LHD cars here like a normal car, they register them as 'Club' rego which means you can only drive them 5kms a day or when ever there is an event on.....
eg: Car show, swap meet, classic car cruise's, etc & even still you need a special log book so police can keep track of you & it has to be registered to what ever event is going on!! :roll:

If it were that easy, then i quess we'd have more Conquest's over here already.

I've been talking to a fellow in Japan for the last couple of days, he's got a Genuine Jet black '89 GSR-VR stazz, manual, sunroof,
blah blah blah & so on, for me already if i want it, landed in Australia/Sydney for just off $8000.00 & its neat 'n' tidy, ready to be shipped!! :drool:
But i still have to see Australian importing rights (Federal office) for the work and compliance plus rego.

Does anyone know about what exactly i have to do once the car is here on the docks? Can someone help me out & give me a few pointers.. :?

Matt

Post by Coltfiction »

Is that Blue widebody in tha pic the one you own 'Starion gsrvr'??

If so, isn't that a UK import Starion EX widebody turbo (UK's GSR-VR)? :?

Post by CussCuss »

ATTN stinkn perfers, 15 year old cars can be left LHD, everywhere else its 30 years.
Having a think about it, it should be a piece of piss (well compared to a vette or something they done make rhd anywhere) apart from the holes in the firewall for the steering column, the rest you could just rip off an aussie starion and put in
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

CussCuss wrote:ATTN stinkn perfers, 15 year old cars can be left LHD, everywhere else its 30 years.
Having a think about it, it should be a piece of piss (well compared to a vette or something they done make rhd anywhere) apart from the holes in the firewall for the steering column, the rest you could just rip off an aussie starion and put in
This is from starion4me's site:

http://home.exetel.com.au/starion/steer ... ersion.htm
starion.gsrvr
OoOhhh BabY

wide

Post by starion.gsrvr »

thanks mrbishi..and coltfiction you nearly right uk car not ex turbo was badged sex it true still have pics is ex sport i rebadged exs like ex but with toys and bigger diff etc more boost..50 came to uk was gsrvr only in 2 litre..perhaps oscar can tell if 50 in usa were 2.0 litre.....
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

There was a limited edition of 50 cars in Japan that came with the 2L DASH engine that were built in 1987 and had the chassis code A184A - as opposed to the latter A187A 2.6L widebodies and earlier 2L 8 valve narrow bodied A183's.

As for converting a LHD Starion to RHD, yes it can be done easier than other cars, but why would you want to? It will cost you much more than importing a RHD one from Japan or the UK. Ask starion4me and he will tell you how much of a PITA it is to convert one.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Coltfiction wrote:
I've been talking to a fellow in Japan for the last couple of days, he's got a Genuine Jet black '89 GSR-VR stazz, manual, sunroof,
blah blah blah & so on, for me already if i want it, landed in Australia/Sydney for just off $8000.00 & its neat 'n' tidy, ready to be shipped!! :drool:
But i still have to see Australian importing rights (Federal office) for the work and compliance plus rego.

Does anyone know about what exactly i have to do once the car is here on the docks? Can someone help me out & give me a few pointers.. :?

Matt
Matt,

First of all, you will need to get a de-registration certificate for the car in Japan (if it already doesn't have one). Then you will need to arrange for it to be shipped - there are a few places that do this, for example, Kiwi Car Carriers. They will book your car onto one of their ships and it will need to be transported to the docks at an international shipping port in Japan, as well as need to be customs cleared there before it can leave. As soon as you have the deregistration certificate, you will need to apply for import approval with DOTARS in Canberra.

Once it lands in Australia (usaually Brisbane for Kiwi CC, who then ship it to your door), it needs to be customs cleared here which entails quarantine and steam cleaning plus inspections. Once these are undertaken and you have paid all the relevent shipping and customs fees, duites and taxes, you get to have the car released.

Different companies ship to different parts of Australia. I know that KIWI ship to Brisbane then have the cars road transported to anywhere in Aus. other companies will land the cars in either Sydney or Melbourne (or Perth!). The best way to have all this organised is to either go through a broker who will do all the running around for you (at a cost, of course).

However, please note that the 15 year rules are being changed right now (refer to my posts in the 15 year rule thread). So be careful, if you seriously want that 1989 GSR-VR, then you must apply for approval for it before the new law changes are gazetted, probably in early March 2005. if it is an 88 model then the new law won't apply.

Once the car is here, you will need to address a few things in order to meet NSW registration requirements such as intrusion bars (not sure if they are already fitted in JDM cars) and child restraint anchorage points. This can be done for under $1,000 by a competent workshop, or less if you undertake it yourself.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

MrBishi wrote:Oscar,
I'm a bit vague on the laws but I think the car has to be at least 30yrs old to stay LHD in Aus (every state has different laws). There are a few newish Camaros, Trucks, etc that get imported every year and need to get converted to RHD which can cost $10K+. Hence most of the US cars are older to save the hassle.
WA is a bit different, just need a "THIS CAR IS LEFT HAND DRIVE" sticker on the rear bumper and you're right..:)
---------
TVR T350C
Oscar-the-Grouch
I love starions

Post by Oscar-the-Grouch »

Mr Bishi....

Sweet ride there !
Nice blue widebody....
Will love to own one in RHD!

I can dream can I ? :(
Oscar
LSD & US Parts GUY