AME 18" chromes

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

Xentro wrote:I don't think it's the size that determines the acceleration.

But the weight of the wheels. (rim + tire)
As long as the outer diameter is the same there should also me no effect on acceleration.

Offcourse larger wheels then to have more weight..
But the stock 14" suck when it comes to handling to much tire roll
What he said - a wider rolling diameter will give u similar effect to a smaller diff ratio - slower acceleration, higher gearing, where as a smaller rolling diameter will be the opposite.

18" rims are generally much heavier than 14's, which can have an effect like a heavier flywheel - more rotational mass for the engine to push around, and thus slower acceleration.

Some lightweight 15's or 16's would probably be the go.
strion
I've been here before

Post by strion »

but the 18's look soo nice!
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

a nice light set of 16"x7 would be good as you can have a popular tire size 225/50/16 wich most good high performance tyres come in and not get raped when it comes to replacing the tyres. The profile is low but not to low and it wont buckle the rim at he first sign of a pothole (wich is important if you live in sydney).
The only downside to this is you cant get the slight performance increase by going down 5 or so on the profile as i havnt seen many 225/45/16 tyres (the additional cost would be more that way anyway)
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

strion wrote:but the 18's look soo nice!
Isn't that what it's all about.
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Post by tmz_99 »

Cookiemonster wrote:
strion wrote:but the 18's look soo nice!
Isn't that what it's all about.
for some people, yes, i suppose it is.. :wtf:
---------
TVR T350C
fonzie
[L] Plates

Post by fonzie »

As far as looks go, 18" would look trick, but the size and width of your wheels and tyres DO make a difference to times and acceleration. I had an R31 skyline and we were having a bit of a traction problem, so we put wider tyres on the back, we went from the standered 195/65R/14 to 205s, the wider tyres gave better traction, but the bigger tyres ment that the car had to work harder to rotate the bigger tyre and I droped bout half a second. So if you ask me, if you want better acceleration, I wouldn't change the size, but if you must, only go up one size
________
Hotels In Mexico