WTB: Vr4 head, loom and ecu, show me what you got! Melb

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
Taras
Big Dorifto

WTB: Vr4 head, loom and ecu, show me what you got! Melb

Post by Taras »

As title says.

I'm after a vr4 head loom and ecu,
I've been fiddling around with my workcar(2.4l 4g64 starwagon 4X4) for a while now,
I'm getting sick of struggling to make the car to get up hills with all the tools etc.

So I'm deciding to put a vr4 head on it, im just hoping that the van is not a
7 bolt when i open it up, otherwise ill have to do some fabricating,
if anyone has a vr4head or entire motor in reasonable condition, and at least wiring loom to suit let me know on 0416355520
Cheers taras
finding the outer limits of performance!!! and the cars for sale.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Why not just turbo what you have... trust me you will end up with more power than your gearbox will handle. If you decide to go VR4 head you will need to change the pistons & oil pump/timing cover as these are different between SOHC & DOHC. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

I was thinking of that, but if I'm gonna turbo this motor I may aswell do it dohc, or even swap out the motor entirely, problem is I want to retain the 4wd gearbox, but it's a wide block bellhousing, so I'm stuck in a jam, unless I find or pay a fabrication shop to make an adapter plate for a 4g63t to suit a wide block gearbox, is it really that much effort to do the conversion to vr4?,
Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

Just read it again, and I lol'd at ur comment, "change the pistons",
It's not like this van will be doing wheel stands down the quarter, just to get it off it's arse between the 2k-4k rev range
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

You already have a good block, you will need to pull it apart & put oil squirters in it & pistons. There is more fabrication work to do if you do go DOHC, water out of head, timing cover, cam belt ( if you use a 2.4L block you will need a longer belt) then there is the ECU which you will need to go aftermarket. A donor VR4 is the easiest option. Personally turbo your present setup is easier, but again you will still need to do Oil squirters & ecu. A starion SOHC turbo setup manifold is easy option, as is pistons for your 2.4L. If you need info give me a call & I can fill you in. :beer

Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Taras wrote:Just read it again, and I lol'd at ur comment, "change the pistons",
It's not like this van will be doing wheel stands down the quarter, just to get it off it's arse between the 2k-4k rev range
Unfortunately in STD form they detonate & any sort of boost ( 2-4PSI) will exasperate the problem. forged pistons i can get for it are about $600-800. Then you still need a turbo & manifold from a Staz, oh & a ECU & wire it in. I know it sounds hard but really it isn't as I have done it before. You need to do it properly as it's your daily driver/work van? :beer

Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

I do have a VR4 head mod & rebuilt that i had on my 2.4L done 900Km's, Have a Wolf ECU I can sell you too. If it was me I really would just do the SOHC & turbo it, but whichever way you go I can help you. :beer

Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

Thanks for the advise,
if I find an adapter plate from wide to narrow for the gearbox ill head in the direction of a 4g63t, otherwise ill tear apart my old starion for the goods, is it 100% nessesary to change pistons And drill/tap for oil squirters, as I won't be driving the car like I stole it, it'll most likely get an oil cooler, and I've had an sr20de(na)+t(no oil squirters onto conrods) for ages in my drift car and never had a problem
Taras
Big Dorifto

Post by Taras »

And I've always had a phobea of working on blocks
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Taras wrote:Thanks for the advise,
if I find an adapter plate from wide to narrow for the gearbox ill head in the direction of a 4g63t, otherwise ill tear apart my old starion for the goods, is it 100% nessesary to change pistons And drill/tap for oil squirters, as I won't be driving the car like I stole it, it'll most likely get an oil cooler, and I've had an sr20de(na)+t(no oil squirters onto conrods) for ages in my drift car and never had a problem
I hope you mean Narrow to Wide ( your box is a wide block) also you may will run out of room to do the DOHC as it ends up quite wide, also have to make custom exhaust manifold as the VR4 won't work ( more cost).

The Squirters I believe help make the engine last, cooling the pistons etc, In your drift car really they are only short runs compared to your van. Yes it will live without them but for how long? To convert them to Squirters my machinist charges $200. As for the oil cooler thats easy as the Staz oil filter housing bolts straight on to your 2.4L Also the VR4 engine isn't torquey like the 2.4L SOHC, its sweet spot is 3000-5000RPM so you will be reving the van more & using fuel.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Taras Derek knows what he is talking about and is giving you the benefit of his experience.
I have bell housings to fit a RX7 turbo gearbox to a wideblock in stock.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL