URGENT: L300 Distrubutor needed.

Got something to sell? Looking for a rare Starion part? Got something bust that needs replacing? then this is your place!
Rola
Big Dorifto

URGENT: L300 Distrubutor needed.

Post by Rola »

Hi guys, im in the process of having my engine re-built after i blew the head gasket. Along the way ive had alot of problems with the car and found out even though it was running l300 multi-point injection it did not have an l300 dizzy in it, just the regular starion one.

long story short no one knows how the car was running with the starion dizzy and 1 need a l300 dizzy.

Ive got the car down at the dyno and i cant get any further untill i can get my hands on an l300 distributor, already went to pick one up but it was the carborated version. I need a 4g64 fuel injceted l300 distributor.

If anyone can help me out i would very much appreciated it as i need this car on the road as soon as possible.

Cheers,

Rola
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

You dont need a L300 dizzy to run MPI

I use the stock Starion one in my current MPI setup.
All depends on the setup
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

So long as the starion dizzy is locked so that theres no advance/retard of the timing it will work with your setup. You only need the l300 dizzy if you plan to run sequential injection and multi coil ignition. I recall you have a microtech, so if you do change the dizzy you will need to send the ecu back so they can reprogram it to accept the l300 input.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

The L-300 Dissy you want is a 4G63 EFI unit out of any 2L SOHC Van... dime a dozen... :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

RiceThief wrote:So long as the starion dizzy is locked so that theres no advance/retard of the timing it will work with your setup. You only need the l300 dizzy if you plan to run sequential injection and multi coil ignition. I recall you have a microtech, so if you do change the dizzy you will need to send the ecu back so they can reprogram it to accept the l300 input.

Hmm, i was unaware of this, i know it can be done but it means the car has no cold start engine map doesnt it? Does the microtech computer have to be sent back to microtech if i get the l300 distributor? Or can it be done at a tuning place?
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

Cold start should have it's own map or parameters in the ECU and will not be dependent on the dizzy (or cam angle sensor etc.) you run.

Cold start will be a dependent on an idle control motor. Either a stepper motor or a solenoid on the throttlebody.
The ECU (inputs) will look at water temp sensor (when cold) and rpm and vacuum (when idling). And as the ECU outputs a signal to the idle control motor to operate and create additional air (and fuel) to the motor to prevent it from stalling when cold...

Well that is my understanding.
1985 JB Starion #157
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

also afaik microtech dont reprogram ecu's sent back anymore. any of the older ones are now stuck in their current setup/application
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Thanks for the info guys, i was a little bit confused as to how my car ran with the starion distributor. I have a microtech LT-8 i believe, does anyone know if these can be programmed to include a cold start engine map?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Yes they can... :beer

Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

Starion VR4 wrote:Yes they can... :beer
thanks for that Starion VR4, thanks for all the help. Ive been looking at the wiring diagram and it looks easy as pie to wire up the starion distributor, it just needs 1 wire to ground from dissy, 1 wire to ignition output #0, 1 wire b/w coil negative and distributor positive and 1 wire to ignition 12V going to coil positive. Does this sound right?
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

NO!!!! U must use an Ignition Igniter, the output from the ECU is a trigger only to fire the igniter... the Igniter is a switch/relay that all the current to fire the coil goes through... they are cheap $60 or I am sure U can pick one up at the wreckers when U get yr dissy... the hyundai/mitsubishi/bosch units are all good. :beer

RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Be aware that the signal output of the starion dizzy is different to the l300 dizzy. Im not sure if the lt series of microtechs have a way to change the setup to allow the ecu to read the signal from the dizzy. Older versions required you to send back the ecu so they could reprogram it to read the signal.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
4gpwr
I love starions

dizzy

Post by 4gpwr »

Is the mechanic saying your dizzy is the cause of you eng failure , apart from sentential fuel inj ( great for economy ) , the multi point dizzy has no other advantages .
If he says the timing is not stable , seems to jump around a few degrees , the sensor in the dizzy could be wired backwards , that could cause the failure .
Who is tuning the microtech . Good luck with the cold start .
I dont know how common the van motor is interstate but my side of Melbourne , they are as rare as starions themselves .
4Gs Rule
Rola
Big Dorifto

Re: dizzy

Post by Rola »

4gpwr wrote:Is the mechanic saying your dizzy is the cause of you eng failure , apart from sentential fuel inj ( great for economy ) , the multi point dizzy has no other advantages .
If he says the timing is not stable , seems to jump around a few degrees , the sensor in the dizzy could be wired backwards , that could cause the failure .
Who is tuning the microtech . Good luck with the cold start .
I dont know how common the van motor is interstate but my side of Melbourne , they are as rare as starions themselves .
All problems sorted, the car was mis-firing with the original tune, an injector clean seems to have fixed that problem, got them to tune in a cold start engine map. Going to get my car tomorrow, cant wait! :beer