drifting staz

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
S73R
Big Dorifto

drifting staz

Post by S73R »

does any one drift there staz?
for real e.g. track?
or fun?
i want to know coz ill be taking mine out to the track a i wounld mind so tips....
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Con's yellow JA was drifting a while back...
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
tri26t
I love starions

dkshauno

Post by tri26t »

DKShauno likes a bit of drift and drag

cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.
jeff
I've been here before

Post by jeff »

drift +fishtail=cool
redzone
racking my brains

Re: drifting staz

Post by redzone »

S73R wrote:does any one drift there staz?
for real e.g. track?
or fun?
i want to know coz ill be taking mine out to the track a i wounld mind so tips....
yes i have done a few track days with my JB. be a VERY good idea to put widebody front struts in yours if u plan doing it, as i had no end of trouble ripping the insides out of my front tyres on the inner guard/chassis rail..

what else do u want to know?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
S73R
Big Dorifto

Post by S73R »

ok 4 instance how much power and skill and MONEY to drift like the guy in the video????
i am a noob lol
"Only one way to live, Full BOOOST!!!!!!!!"
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

forget about power for a sec, u need STIFF suspension and HARD shocks to begin with, or you'll be flop drifting all over the place

but yeah at least 200hp at the wheels is good, and a more responsive turbo than a TC06
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

+1 for the stiff suspension. You also need dampners to suit those stiff springs. Unfortunately there really isnt crap out there for suspension :x

I've drifted my widebody at a few gymkhana, and the biggest deal is crap suspension.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
KiwiStaz
I like starions more

Post by KiwiStaz »

There is a pic of a starion drifting in England on speedhunters at the moment http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/03 ... a-pod.aspx

and it's worth looking at the enthusasm for the old girl in the comments section
"aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

"I used to be frightened by the idea of having a racing accident and not being able to wake up again. Now things are changed. I often fall asleep during a GP, but at least I have the reasonable certainty of being able to wake up, later."
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

S73R wrote:ok 4 instance how much power and skill and MONEY to drift like the guy in the video????
i am a noob lol
i haven't seen the vid but if your a noob don't start with a staz...
get a dirty old manual r31 skyline,
put in "low" springs and shocks,
get a second rear sway bar and fit it so you have 2 rear sway bars ( trust me it works )
a set of extractors and a heat shielded pod filter
M.I.G enhanced diff
maybe look at a diy hydraulic handbrake

thats the cheapest set up that will work for a beginner and a bit more forgiving on parts if you bend it
STARZILA
I love starions

Post by STARZILA »

Heres a clip from youtube for those who havnt looked at every starion on there :D
I love this video:

Oh and this one too...

:D :D
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Yeh they drift pretty nice, but the guys are right about needing better suspension.

Here's a pic of Luke Fink drifting my JB at a recent training day (for myself) at Sandown (Vic, in Australia)! Admittedly this is in the wet, but it still did ok in the dry recently at Winton at the Vic Drift practise. In the photo it's only half finished, and pretty messy, but I'm still fixing it up.

You need an LSD or a locked diff though, and it doesn't hurt to have a bit more grunt. Mine was standard, and still went pretty good! Was really testing it out to see how it went before I was willing to spend $ on building the engine.
But blew the bottom end now, which is why it's getting the rebuild with stronger bits etc. As with any motorsport, you need to make everything you can strong.
The guys on here are certainly good at providing that info though, so you're in the right place!

<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects