Cost of sourcing widebody front & rear panels?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
FullOfPlasma
Lil' Dorifto

Cost of sourcing widebody front & rear panels?

Post by FullOfPlasma »

Just curious as to a ballpark figure of what it would cost to source the widebody panels?
"I've been really drunk in several major capital cities around the world, but Tokyo was the most fun...so far!"

VL's are for someone who can't afford a skyline but is willing to spend the cost of a GTR modifying it.
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Ask LXS, she's already done one! I think it's cheaper and easier in the end to just buy a widebody! :?
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The front guards are easier to get, it's the rear quarters that will be hard to find and quite costly to import. The US will be cheaper to find the parts, but will more than likely cost more to ship. Ex-Japan will be the other way around.

As stated, LXS will be the best person to advise on all this. If you are serious, send her a PM.

It is definitely cheaper and easier to buy a complete widebody.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
FullOfPlasma
Lil' Dorifto

Post by FullOfPlasma »

NXTIME wrote:The front guards are easier to get, it's the rear quarters that will be hard to find and quite costly to import. The US will be cheaper to find the parts, but will more than likely cost more to ship. Ex-Japan will be the other way around.

As stated, LXS will be the best person to advise on all this. If you are serious, send her a PM.

It is definitely cheaper and easier to buy a complete widebody.
I'm just curious.... a down the track project.

I'm still currently looking/waiting for a decent starion to come along, but im setting in mind things i'd like to do and pricing it up.

I'm imaging the rear panels are much much heavier.

Correct me if i'm wrong but wasn't there a fibreglass kit available to make a narrow body a widebody?
"I've been really drunk in several major capital cities around the world, but Tokyo was the most fun...so far!"

VL's are for someone who can't afford a skyline but is willing to spend the cost of a GTR modifying it.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

No, there isn't a fibreglass kit that I am aware of for the conversion. There are a few other little bits and pieces that are required to complete the conversion. It isn't simply a matter of "bolting on" :D the guards and 1/4 panels.

Again, much easier and cheaper to just buy a widebody. ;)

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

yeah save up and buy a widebody, since you have to weld on the rear quarters, seems like way more work than it would be worth. you also need syspension, wheels brakes, etc..
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
FullOfPlasma
Lil' Dorifto

Post by FullOfPlasma »

I know the rear guards takes a bit of work.

It would obviously be a job for someone with welding experience, undoubtebly.

Suspension change etc, is only necessary if you want the wheels too, but I see where your coming from.

airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

the rear end is also stronger, the suspension is also a little wider from what i remember, and bigger brakes., The wheles are one of the omst expensive things, getting something with a offset and then even sapcers.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

for the price you would pay for the parts required, u could buy a whole widebody in the usa. the yanks sell em regularly for under $1000 us..

u would probably have one landed here and thru customs etc for about $6-7000 oz dollars at the most, then f&%k all to convert to rhd using aussie bits, that is if u even WANTED to convert to rhd....

seeing as u dont own an aussie one yet this might even be a better way to go right from the start mate!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
FullOfPlasma
Lil' Dorifto

Post by FullOfPlasma »

Hmmm,

thats something I haven't considered, a US import and conversion.

Any idea what overseas shipping costs from the US to australia for a car is?

How straightforward would the conversion be?

hcca
Enthusiast king

Post by hcca »

that is if u even WANTED to convert to rhd....
If you want to drive it on the road it will have to be converted :)

From what i've seen, left to right conversion is fairly simple - the firewall is already set up - just need to cut some bits out of it. The steering column support has to be cut and welded onto the other side. You would also need the front end of a RHD car as most of the suspension/steering/brakes will need to be transplanted.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

dont forget the dash and support bars etc. it is a complex job and not as straight forward as it may seem. PM starion4me as he has done this exact conversion.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Personally converting LHD - RHD would be a far simpler task than Narrow-Wide conversion.

My honest opinion would be to save your coin until you have enough money to buy a nice RHD widey. $10-15K may seem a bit steep, but after importing the appropriate parts (or LHD car) to convert + labour +hassles I think you will come out on top.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
FullOfPlasma
Lil' Dorifto

Post by FullOfPlasma »

Well yes,

the other option to consider if a Jap Import and then getting it complianced.

Which is sometimes I am also prepared to have a look at.

Who's the best to talk to about importing?

CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

panels would be basically free, plenty of them being wrecked with perfect panels, just gotta get them here.

one thing is guaranteed, either way its a pain in the ass