15 year old import loophole closed as of today

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

15 year old import loophole closed as of today

Post by TD05 »

Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

yep - no more R32 GTR's or 300ZX's or any other 89 model Jap car, including any 89 model Starion widebodies. 1988 or earlier cars are fine though. If you want an R32 or 300ZX then you only two options are to have them complied under SEVS through a RAWS workshop, or to import as a race car (but can't be road registered).
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

we can all thank all the hoons that have graced the news in the recent months.... :x
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Not really. The govt's decision is offically stated here:
In deciding to replace the 15-year-old scheme, the Government assessed the performance of the scheme against its goals. In particular, the objective of the scheme was twofold:

1. to promote the availability of hobby & recreational enthusiast vehicles within Australia. Their restoration, display and use (eg, in social events, such as rallies) is a recognised and long-standing recreational activity within Australia; and

2. to also support the wider goals of safer roads and cleaner air. For example, vehicle standards are generally recognised as contributing towards Australia’s National Road Safety Strategy 2001-2010. The strategy target is to save 3,600 lives by 2010 and to permanently reduce annual road deaths by 700.

The Government considered the impact of the 15- year-old scheme on the industry and on the Australian community, and also considered submissions received from stakeholders. The Government concluded that – while the scheme successfully achieved the first objective – it failed the second objective. In particular, the scheme had created arbitrary and artificial distortions within Australia’s motor vehicle industry.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

NXTIME wrote:1988 or earlier cars are fine though. If
PHEEEW!!!!!! hold on, heart almost exploded.........
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

yeah bullshit.........best u get in quick if you want something, they are preparing to extend the ban up to 30 year old cars.
Powerslave
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Powerslave »

U can bet that local manufacturers (Ford and Holden have government contracts) have a slice in this pie. It all runs pretty deep.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

scum wrote:
NXTIME wrote:1988 or earlier cars are fine though. If
PHEEEW!!!!!! hold on, heart almost exploded.........
Sum, I thought your importer already had the import approval for your widebody? You cannot apply for import approval until the car is exactly 15 years old to the month.

The government has left the door open for another few weeks as they will continue to allow 15 year old cars (build dates up to Feb 1990) to be imported if they are paid for and an import approval is applied for before the new ammendments are gazetted (approximately 3 - 5 weeks - ie March 2005). They have also made an exception for cars that are 15 years old to the month after Feb 1990 as long as they have been paid for before 7 Feb 2005. These cars will be allowed to be imported as long as they have import approval before 31 Dec 2005.

After the new amendments have been made, only cars built before 1 Jan 1989 can be imported under the new 15 year rule regulations.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

Widebody starions can still be brought in, so can r31's. All but a few silvias cant.

im beginning to see the upside to this.....
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Yep, all but 1989 widebodies can be brought in.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

is is aproved, but i dont have the papers yet so i am stll a little worried
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

How do you know it's approved? Did they email you? I don't think you will have a problem. I just got my approval a few weeks ago and am looking into another one now,pity about the GTO's tho..
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

If it is a late 1989 model and the car was somehow imported before it was exactly 15 years old to the month, then I don't think that DOTARs will grant an import approval. From memory, scum got this car almost a year ago.

Better ask this importer for a copy of the import approval. Also ask for the Japanese De-registration certificate as you cannot get approval from DOTARS without it. Otherwise, call DOTARs in Canberra and ask them to check the Japanese VIN # on the firewall to see if approval was granted.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
starion.gsrvr
OoOhhh BabY

import

Post by starion.gsrvr »

can any one tell me if this still applies to italian cars was planing to bring may 1990 italian from england.....i knew this was happening with hoon problemb as i got call from adr for survey as i allready brought cars.cheers
starion.gsrvr
OoOhhh BabY

import

Post by starion.gsrvr »

sorry scum canberra wont accept any unless you have approval papers from the country the car left..maybe perth rules differant i dont know this..just put a ja number in it ooohhhh sorry wasnt me....