When did you last get it all wrong

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

When did you last get it all wrong

Post by Alspos »

When did you last go for a drive, decide to have a play and get it all wrong. Everybody has, it's just lucky if you get out of it or not unscathed.

Here's my tale. I was driving out of the court here at work. No lsd at the time. Wet but not raining, slow up to the corner started turning right, changed to second, gave it some revs and popped the clutch, going for a bit of dorifto style.

Away the rear went to the left, caught it, it swung back the other way, I tried to catch it again but not quick enough. Weeee around she went, so on went the brakes for a bit and I just looked out the window and hoped the hit wouldn't be too hard, a telegraph pole was looming. And brakes when your sliding sideways don't do a lot.

I did the most beautiful parallel park ever, finished about 2 feet off the kerb. Started her back up, did a u turn and off I went. Phew! I respect the corner a little more nowadays and don't use the clutch so brutally. LOL :)
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

Prolly my scariest was doing a u-turn in my car and dropping the clutch in 2nd, i wasnt used to the car yet and it had lsd, ended up looking at where i had just come from facing oncoming traffic.
Fairly funny for anyone else to watch but i think i nearly shat myself.
Good thing the oncoming traffic was a good 300m away, i pissed off quick after that.

Steve
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Alspos,

Do we assume the lack of respect and brutality still apply if you actually want to do a perfect parallel park instead of turning a corner? :D
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

hehe, like that world record holder for the best parallel parker, who fangs it up head on to the spot and wacks up the handbrake and slides in nice and perfectly..

my story is from when i used to own my old RWD celica and live on some nice dirt roads. Every morning was a good rally drive, where ever i wanted to go. Gave me a reason to get out of bed, and I was never late anywhere.

One morning i decided to change my usual route and go down some smaller twistier dirt roads, just wide enough for two cars. I went fanging around one corner sideways at about 70-80, watching the road carefully cause there's a few potholes and ruts on that corner, and the first thing I see as I look up is a huge rubbish truck (i'd forgotten it was rubbish collection day) right across the centre of the road. Shit, i thought, no time for braking. I always knew this rally driving on public roads would end up in disaster. To the right of the truck was a big drop, so that was a no go, and to the left was a 4ft tall almost vertical dirt embankment, which i figured was my only way past. I selected a bit that looked less vertical to start off with and yanked the wheel to the left and hit it at about 60km/h, sending the car vicously up on a 45 degree angle. I still didn't think I could make it past the truck, but I couldn't move the car any more to the left. Luckily I did make it past, the drivers side mirror coping a bump that knocked it against the car. As soon as i'd passed the truck, the embankment got steeper, so i turned back off it, and the car landed with a big thunk.

Like Steve, i high tailed it out of there as quickly as i could..

Then there was this other time on the way to the Rally of Melbourne when I slid the celica sideways into a mud embankment, covering the entire side of the car in mud an inch think. The guy at the carpark at the rally was trying to direct me to the competitors entrance, but i finally convinced him i was just a spectator. I left the mud there for a couple of weeks. School kids loved it, always asked me to bag it up :D
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

After just picking it up,

Coming down springie road to the hwy, turning left in the slip lane. Decided to do something similar to Alspos, doubled back, pumped the clutch, revs up, clutch out and on for the ride ( i know know this is not :oops: the best way to drift a corner).
Power midway through the corner, tail starts to slip away i catch it, started to drift nicely across the start of the hwy.
Hit a slippery patch and the car starts slide around, didn't catch it on time, plus i think a lil over-correction :oops:.
Around we go infront of peak hour traffic, luckily enough there was no-one around, infront of macca's of all things. Spun a 180 to face the traffic (still stationary at the lights, thank god) then i smoked em up to get to the slip road to catch my breath, and a ear bashing from my lil sis. :cry:
After getting our breath back, and restoring bruised ego's :oops: we cruised into macca's and grabbed a feed to a couple of guys in the car park saying "that was sweet", little do they know.
To this day i don't believe how lucky we were. Now i have fun on race-tracks not public roads. :wink:
I have learn't my leason well. Though i did have some fun down the beach a while ago.
- el schmicko detailer -
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

What Melbstazz just said.
These mistakes make you realise that there's proper places to do things, hence my rally track at my parents property
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

well,I’ll never learn my lesson. but i have learnt to do it where no one is around. i have a few little roads picked out on the darling ranges that amuse me and my little band of UFO's (Unidentified Fast Object) and to make it all the easier the local plods put a notice in the community paper when there doing a spot of camping. nice chaps! :D
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Late at night, going home from a mate's place in my Scorpion. It had been raining so the road was very wet. Turned a left hander to get onto freeway going north and ended up looking where I had just come from!
No damage to car or me but it certainly scared me.
However, in no way did it deter me from trying it again...intentionally.
But not straight away of course...
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

18, first starion, sliding it round... Back end bit on me and flicked back the other way, i held on for the ride and slammed into a gutter. Bent allllllll sorts of shit, chassis, suspension arms, busted a wheel, ripped up a tyre. I keep anything like to to roads out of town these days.

I posted about it on the forums about 15 mins after i did it, i dont know if anyone would remember tho. I said i was "dodging a cat". In reality i was just being a freaking asshole.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

haha
we've all dodged many a cat, and wombat, and squirrel (don't think they make those over here, but i've still dodged one) :wink:
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

haha

my first starion was parked outside my house with the window down... some fool drove past and thought it would be funny to throw a can of coke into the interior... anyway, i lost my rag and went screaming round to this knobs house who i had been having a long running fued with, went flying up his driveway and completely lost control, wiping out about 10 metres of fence in the process....

and the worst thing was that it wasnt him that threw the coke, he wasnt even home from work yet, so i felt like a complete tool...

so after about $2000 repairs on the staz and about $600 worth of fence i finally learnt to control my temper....
oz, here i come....
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

rofl i think we have a winner!
jrod82
StarioNZ.com

Post by jrod82 »

I've failed to dodge 2 cats :(

And failed to NOT dodge many possums.. damn things are way too quick, they just stand there and you think you have them in your sights, and away they go.
C Fernance
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by C Fernance »

I've managed to scare myself really bad twice, both times in the same car (GH Scorp).

The first was when i had only had my P's for a few months. Went around a corner at 60, that can normally be taken at up to 70-80ks. Only this time there was a bit of oil or something there. In my inexperience i managed to overcorrect about 1/2 a dozen times, getting it progressively more out of shape each time. Ended up jumping on the brakes and locking all 4 wheels up someones driveway, across the front yard, before coming to rest JUST against a telegraph pole. Only damage was to my pride, and the slightest scratch which actually did "buff right out".

Second was going down the F3 freeway. It was raining extreemly hard so i was only doing about 80ks in a 110 zone. This was obviously still too fast cause the car aquaplaned across 2 lanes (no traffic thank god) before slideing sideways into a white post, which sent the car spinning into the trees off to the side of the freeway. Fair amount of damage was caused but it was just panels and so on, no mechanical stuff so i started it back up and drove away quite a bit slower than before.
By day he is mild-mannered Chris Fernance, by night he becomes...ASTRON-man. "Defender of all things Scorpion, from the evil forces of COMMODORE-man"
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Just got the car back in 94. Road was wet. Had absolutely no experience with power cars up to that point. (The fastest being a 1.5 Fiat. LOL)

Took a left hand turn in second at a set of lights going into Manly and decided to give it some boot out of the turn. Totally lost the arse end as the car proceeded up the road at a 45 degree angle before I got her back under control. Thank god there was no one sitting at the lights waiting to turn right into the road I was coming from!

Oh and then there was the time I drove my first car (Datsun 100A) down the pit at the garage I was working at. I ended up sitting with 2 wheels totally down the pit and 2 on the ramp! Nearly pooed my pants then. Had to yell out for 4 of the mechanics to come and lift the car out!!! :oops: LOL