anyone know about megasquirts?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
KNIGHT RYDER
Big Dorifto

anyone know about megasquirts?

Post by KNIGHT RYDER »

thinking that until i can afford to go lexus v8 i may try a megasquirt,the guy in tauranga reckons he garantees 30hp gain just from getting rid of the restrictive airflow meter,then if i run more boost (14psi) then i should gain more,also more reliable then factory computor he reckons....

Anyone dealt with these before?all sounds good
There is no good or bad days,only attidudes
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

im curious bout these also. thinking bout using one for my new mpi setup.
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)
Starion Turbo, (Drift Car)
Toyota MX32 Cressida (New Project)

Thats it for now...
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

If you do a search you'll find a few disucssions and comments about them.

Main comments are that they are big in the states but not elsewhere, finding someone in New Zealand who will tune it is difficult. As for the comments about gaining 30hp, this is to do with the removing the Vortex sensor and not the Megasquirt so any computer will give you the same gain.

As everybody says, you need to find your dyno tuner first, then chose from the computers they are happy tuning. The tuner and hence your tune will make or break your install.
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute
KNIGHT RYDER
Big Dorifto

Post by KNIGHT RYDER »

Cheers,the guy that will install the megasquirt said he can tune it on the road as i drive,he will connect up his laptop,or he will organise a dyno if i want to,it will then run the mpi when and if i decide to go that route,

Will cost $625 for it and $40 an hour to install,sounds pretty reasonable,and he said hes done quite alot of 4g63s and with great results :beer
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

megasquirts are getting more popular worldwide and more NZ based tuners are happy to tune them, however they still have their downsides.

For the 4G63 you would at least want the MS2.2 V3 which to be already assembled would be $600-700+. The MS is a bit hit and miss in terms of quality - the actual board design is quite poor with the power supply circuit interfering with many of the input circuits.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
KNIGHT RYDER
Big Dorifto

Post by KNIGHT RYDER »

Cheers for that info dirtygalant ,ill make sure it is the better one you speak of,i just thought that it sounded good for the money as money dont come that easy these days,cheers
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

For that sort of money you are probably better off buying a well-known and supported off-the-shelf brand name computer, and then finding a good tuner that knows them well. Or working the other way if you know a good tuner, and buy a unit that he knows well!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Bruzman
I like starions

Post by Bruzman »

My mate uses one in his MX5 turbo.

He swears by them! It basically come down to how much effort you want to put into it. You have the option of making the ECU yourself (how many people can say they did that in there car) and all tuning.

The more time you put into all the little bits, the better result you will get.

My goal is a car that I built by myself without mechanics, so I am pretty sure I will be going it :D
Work on Car, Go to Gym, Pump Bitches = Life
kailo
Dorifto!

Post by kailo »

having said that you can get a second hand named ecu for around the same price and still tune it yourself or take it samewhere to be tuned
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

i've heard so much good about the megasquirts.. im really keen to use it on my mpi setup as at the moment im on a budget.. and don't want to spend bulk money on a good ecu which i could do later down the track if i went dohc and got further into my apprenticeship..

on a side note, is there anyone in nsw/qld who can use these to tune? or do most people who buy it try setup a base tune to get it driving then look around?
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

you could spend $600 on a megasquirt or $600 on a second hand wolf V4 or EMS stinger.. i know what i'd be doing..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
GormzZ
I love starions

Post by GormzZ »

fair point made, if yourself or anyone could source a second hand wolf unit or what not.. then i would definitely look into it. but i mustn't be looking in the right areas for ecu's cause i can never seem to find them for cheap/second hand..
Honda Accord CB7 (Daily)

Thats it for now...
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

redzone wrote:you could spend $600 on a megasquirt or $600 on a second hand wolf V4 or EMS stinger.. i know what i'd be doing..
or.. because he's in NZ where the Wolf or EMS Stinger doesn't really exist.. he could get a 2nd hand Link ECU.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

GormzZ wrote:fair point made, if yourself or anyone could source a second hand wolf unit or what not.. then i would definitely look into it. but i mustn't be looking in the right areas for ecu's cause i can never seem to find them for cheap/second hand..
They pop up on ebay every now & then, keep searching haltech ems wolf motec etc
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
kiwi_EX
I like starions more

Post by kiwi_EX »

KNIGHT RYDER wrote:Cheers,the guy that will install the megasquirt said he can tune it on the road as i drive,he will connect up his laptop,or he will organise a dyno if i want to,it will then run the mpi when and if i decide to go that route,

Will cost $625 for it and $40 an hour to install,sounds pretty reasonable,and he said hes done quite alot of 4g63s and with great results :beer
How many installs has he done on throttle body injection 4G63's? I'm guessing not many.

Just remember the old saying, "You get what you pay for"

I was looking at megasquirt, but decided to go Link instead.
1988 Mitsubishi Starion EX Widebody
1987 Mitsubishi Starion EX
1991 Mitsubishi L200 Double Cab Sport
2010 Holden Colorado Ute