GOOD COMPUTER HELP!!

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
flav
Austarion Occupant

GOOD COMPUTER HELP!!

Post by flav »

I'm so bloody over all these super genius dudes who know how to fix computers!!!!

Can someone tell me what is a bloody fast and reliable PC that will last me ages. AND an Operating System that is kick ass and all i need to do is switch it on and off.

I don't burn anything except for the occasional cd for the car or a dvd for the kids and food on the BBQ.
I use it mainly for 'surfing' but i don't surf so it wont need a surf board.
I love raaaam but im not from New Zealand.
I'm pretty hot but i dont need water cooling.. :D
fugazi
Enthusiast

Re: GOOD COMPUTER HELP!!

Post by fugazi »

flav wrote:...AND an Operating System that is kick ass and all i need to do is switch it on and off.
I've used Ubuntu (10.04LTS on 4 computers) fore quite some time now without any problems at all.
Easy to install...
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

I'm sure I have a couple of Amiga 500's and 1200's kicking around some where.

You wont get any issues with them......................
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Just go buy yourself a macbook. Sounds perfect for what you're after.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

PC's are best in my opinion, but what you want is a iMac. Get one that beefy enough for you to last a while, and they offer pretty good support for you. Plus because apple products are still pretty unpopular, people don't write so many viruses for them.
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Im not used to the Apple computers at all. Not to say i would'nt give it a go as they seem to be pretty reliable. Are they easy to get used to?
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Just go buy a Toshiba laptop. :)
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

You want a PC that you just turn on and use?

Seriously

Without fucking around

Get a Sony Laptop, one of those stupid ones that come in bright orange or pink or green.

I have one (this post is written on one), it updates itself, it maintains itself, it came with free AV protection, it runs win-7, it boots and is ready to use in under 20 seconds and the battery lasts 6 hours w/o recharging.

The only downside, the speakers are SHITFUL so you -need- headphones
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

I would go Win7 laptop. I have had my laptop with Vista for the last 4 years, I run AVG anti virus and Spybot S & D and never once had a virus, spybot, or any problems. Upgrading it to Win7 now though.

I have used apples and linux (ubantu) and both are rubbish. Linux is extremely hard to use unless you have someone who knows what they are doing showing you how to use it. For someone who is not particulary computer minded will find it hard to use without help.

I reckon linux is for closet apple fanboys who don't want to be one of those people that own an apple product :D
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Entaran wrote:You want a PC that you just turn on and use?

Seriously

Without fucking around

Get a Sony Laptop, one of those stupid ones that come in bright orange or pink or green.

I have one (this post is written on one), it updates itself, it maintains itself, it came with free AV protection, it runs win-7, it boots and is ready to use in under 20 seconds and the battery lasts 6 hours w/o recharging.

The only downside, the speakers are SHITFUL so you -need- headphones
The Sony laptops are very good... but you do pay more for the name. Toshiba ones are very good as well and cheaper.
My parents just picked up a future proof Toshiba, Win7, 6 gig ram, I7 etc and got is very cheap for about $1050aud. Latest model, got it at a sale. Very nice laptop to use.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

linux and apple are on complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

linux is useful to people who know enough about computers to do stuff the average person would never need/want to.

Apple computers are only really good for people who know next to nothing about computers.

Linux is like giving you access to the whole world, but with no car/bike/boat to go anywhere - you have to build the car/bike/boat from scratch.

Apple is like you are a baby in a crib at child care. a lot of support, and you're taken care of most of the time, but you pay a hefty premium for not much. Plus the price you pay for all that support and ease is that you have control over virtually nothing.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

@thrash:
Thats why Ubuntu is soo good...
Linux-based and lots of support and programs...
Needless to say, It works realy well and no real worries about viruses and shit... and you don't need to know anything about computers or how shit works! Kind of like a computer should be... just working!