Mid 20's life crisis - need advice

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Mid 20's life crisis - need advice

Post by madeofmilo »

G'day boys,
Bit of a background to me, I'm 24 (25 in 3 weeks) and I'm really blessed to have an amazingly good job as an electrician.

Anyway with house renos and working so hard I'm having a little mid 20s freakout about life and how instead of buying sports cars I've been buying "granite benchtops" for the kitchen.

So....here's where you guys come in...as my wife says "i'd prefer you to get a sports car then a mistress", so i've been given permission to spend $15 - $20k (yes, it's true I do have the best wife in the world, and no she is not a memeber of austarion who can read this post).

Gonna get rid of the starion and buy something ball tearingly fast.

I'm thinking
R33 gts-t
Evo
Xr6-t

any ideas and advice would be great?
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

You could get an Evo 6 over here in NZ for that... not to sure about over there. That's what I would go for though if I could spend that much, well actually I would try and push for another $5k and get a 2 door sierra cosworth :drool: My fav car of all time :)
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

V8
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

Yes shit what a crisis.... LOL
What are you most fond of (with a car)?

Street/drag-racing=>BB v8 (and a singelturbo!)
Tarmac/gravel/rally=>EVO-TME
Allround=>Starion (of course! or maby a Porsche)
Shiney/bling/shit=>whatever
Last edited by fugazi on Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

spend the 15k putting a twin cam head on your already forged staz motor, put 30psi through a gt3076r, get ~300rwkw, that should be enough ball tearing speed for you..

i've only got 210rwkw and there hasn't been much on the road that can pass me when the hammer is down.. only thing that has managed to get ahead was a heavily worked v8 commodore - and i had mum and gramps in the car at the time, so no launch from me rofl

if you want outright performance, don't even think about the r33.. so not worth 15k.. don't get me wrong, they are a nice car.. good mix of performance and comfort, but for all out performance, you'd get an r32 gtr for the same quid.

and i'd be very interested if you can get a late model evo for under 20k? or do you mean evo1-3?

xr6t are a very good thing, IF you upgrade them. on their own they are too heavy a boat for the motor. but once upgraded, they can be monsters
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

I would definitely say twincam the staz first but im biased!
Other than that either an r32 gtr or evo 5,6,7 would be my picks.
Over here you can easily get any of those in you price range, but guessing they mite be a bit more pricey in aus?
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

You realise that whatever you get in that price range is going to be a piece of shit and cost more than than your budget to bring up to what you describe as "ball tearingly fast".

Of the 3 the only one that will remotely deliver is the XR6T, BUT - you will need to spend at least 3-4K to make it "ball tearingly" fast, so you are looking at getting hold of one for under 16K as a starter.

I'd be looking elswhere for your jollies tbh.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

WANTSOM wrote: I'd be looking elswhere for your jollies tbh.
Has your wife got a cute friend? :naughty
She's no mistress if your wife knows...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
madeofmilo
Enthusiast

Post by madeofmilo »

No no. Can't get a mistress. The only ball tearing would be my own balls by my wife. When I say a ball teareri should clarify... I had a mildly worked SS with the 5.7l so something at minimum as fast as that.
My JA has perfect motor - FMIC - forgies - high flow head but...rusted front guards and keyed on every panel. Time to get serious or time to take it to the tip.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

get a EVO 5 for 20K easy, just get it professionally checked out before you buy it.. plus they will be kid compatible, as they are a 4 door...

or you could just spend the money on the starion :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

get an evo 4 or 6 as opposed to a 5...4s and 6s post 206kw factory where a few guys i know with 5s are only pushin 190ish
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Buy a widey
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

out of all of them id be going XR6T and going 3" exhaust and flash tune ECU and bang u got 300rwkw that should be enough to start with!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
palmystar
Dorifto!

Post by palmystar »

What about an fd RX7? even though i don't know how much they go for over there. they look great and respond well to mods.
If its not broken. Don't fix it
vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

Forget the Evo and the XR6-T, true sports cars don't have 4 doors. An R33 is not ball tearingly fast either. Your budget should more than cover an engine transplant. Drop a 2jz in the staz!