Earthquake in NZ

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Elkidminoltu
Newcomer

Earthquake in NZ

Post by Elkidminoltu »

Just heard about the big Quake in NZ on the news. Everyone okay down there? A 7.0 is no joke! :o

-Dave
1980 El Camino SS --------- 1989 Conquest TSi --------- 1988 Conquest TSi
The best engine in the world is the vagina, takes any size piston, self lubricating, starts with 1 finger and does its own oil change every 4 weeks.
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
KiwiStaz
I like starions more

Post by KiwiStaz »

just finished talking to family, only minor damage for them except my nephew who was knocked off his motorbike while bringing the dairy cows in and hit his head on a rock...

If anyone wants to see pictures go to www.nzherald.co.nz or www.stuff.co.nz

I didn't feel anything in Hamilton
"aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines" - Enzo Ferrari

"I used to be frightened by the idea of having a racing accident and not being able to wake up again. Now things are changed. I often fall asleep during a GP, but at least I have the reasonable certainty of being able to wake up, later."
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Im in Dunedin on the ship and we felt it. Have been txting JAS and him and his partner are ok but pretty shaken. Theres alot of damage in town, and power and water is down throughout the city.
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

glad to hear everyone is ok, no deaths reported but a guy is in intensive care as a chimney fell on him, i felt nothing up here.
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Yep rock and roll, we have power and water now although not sure how long the water will last.
After checking on family and friends checked the Starions, we had a bit of damage at the workshop with about 3 cars damaged but my one is pretty good, real suprised a truck up on the hoist didn't topple. :shock:

Other one had a few things fall on it but nothing to concern me at the moment, busy removing some hundred year old chimneys before they topple.

Considering what it felt like I expected everything to be leveled, things seemed to have held up reasonable well.
Last edited by kiwieurospec on Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Gezz what a day!!

Just got home from Darfield where my sister lives. And this was the epi centre of the Quake.

My sisters house is fine but everything is smashed. Shes only got one glass left from the Kitchen. Everything else was broken. The quate was so loud there that she didnt even hear the kitchen stuff braking!
It was also strong enough to move their 3 cars and even the horse truck.
You could still feel the ground moving ever so slightly all the time when I was out there this afternoon...

My Parents house, which is about 10Ks closer to Christchurch form Darfield, is a bit worse for wear. With lots of cracks inside and out.

And at my house we were luckier. Only one broken item inside the house. But a large shelving unit full of starion parts tipped over onto my gold starion in the garage :( But the damage doesnt look to bad. A few scrapes and the odd little dent. Tuff old starion :)

Here you can see my sisters 4x4. You can see the gravel pushed up next to the tyre as its moved over.

This is a road we came accross in our travels today.

And this is my garage

We have had about 4 strong after shocks just in the time its taken me to post this!!
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by perrinsohc »

Hey Guys
Have a few pics from the crazy day we have had in chch. Quake was strong enough in the airport side of town to distrupt quite a lot of service etc. My magnum was moved 2meters backward in the street pack, with every alarm in the neighbourhood going off. Staz forturnately was fine, was parked beside a brick fence however all held up well. Very sorry JAS to see the goldie under all that stuff.

Here some pics I personally took around town.

87 Starion EX
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

Been watching the news stories here in Oz. You guys there have been so lucky not to have any fatalities. That quake had the potential to cause massive loss of human life. Somebody above has been looking after you.
Foremost. I'm pleased that our kiwi members & their families are safe & well, cars can easily be fixed later.
If anyone needs help, I'm sure that plenty will be available through this forum.

panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
Elkidminoltu
Newcomer

Post by Elkidminoltu »

I'm glad to hear you guys made it through mostly unscathed. I was sitting in a burger joint about to dig in when the news came across the screen on the TV. I jumped on here immediately to see if everyone was ok. They were saying it was still dark there so damage was hard to estimate, but seeing those pics above really puts it into perspective! :shock:

Take care fellas, let the guys in the States know if you need anything! :beer
1980 El Camino SS --------- 1989 Conquest TSi --------- 1988 Conquest TSi
The best engine in the world is the vagina, takes any size piston, self lubricating, starts with 1 finger and does its own oil change every 4 weeks.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Was out of town at the Pittsworth sprints and was shocked to see the damage on the tele when i got back to my motel .Amazed that there was no loss of life but there is some major property and infrastructure damage that will take some time to be repaired.Hope that the insurance companies play fair with all the claims that will be lodged .
Good to hear that my Kiwi mates across the ditch are ok
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Jezz not to many at work this morning, a few rooted buildings around here. JAS sucks to see damage to the gold car but overall I think we are all lucky.
Here is a link of some of the central city damage, its still on lock down.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

I pulled everything off the gold starion yesterday. And its not bad at all. Even the carbon mirror is ok :) Just a few little dents and paint chips.

Im at work this morning and there isnt much damage around this area. Just a few chimneys down. Even the old red brick building accross the road is fine.
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

We're in Avonside and only just got the power on... Spent the last 2 days shoveling out silt from the property. House is sinking quite badly, and the neighbours is too. The cracks in the foundations are getting worse. The walls and the ceiling are cracking and getting worse and worse as I speak. Talking to a few engineers without seeing the house they think it's a bulldozer job We bought a 100 year old house for a reason.
The garage had about a foot of silt in it and we lost a lot of things as well. The concrete floor is cracked right through the middle where the silt pushed up through, plus the walls are all poked.
Out the back in the yard the silt is 3-4 feet deep.
We are packing everything up as we speak as I think we are going to ask to leave. The water pipes are all smashed under the road and the sewage pipes are full to the top with silt! Our drive, the footpath out front and even the road are still sinking and cracking up real bad.

Big up's to Dakin port a loo's, they supplied our street with port a loos for free, a whole heap of them!
At the moment we have dozens of trucks and diggers trying to take all the silt away!
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

Man, good to see you guys are ok!!

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!