The pros and cons of the EVOs?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

The pros and cons of the EVOs?

Post by MR Bender »

Well the EVOs have been around for years.
strong ,good allrounder sports car.

now whats the pros and cons of the evos?
and which is the best out of the 10?
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

The 9 apparently from those I've spoken to - you get MIVEC and 6 speed 'box.

The 7 is bloody good too - very nice ECU thats very tuneable once you 'flash' them.

For raw speed and performance nothing comes close to a TME 6.5. MRB's example is an absolute animal and you can stick an EVO 7 ECU in it for ultimate tuneability.

Plus Brembo's are standard from 6 onwards.

My choice would be a 9 I think, black with some fat wheels and tyres, coil overs, free up the breathing (exhaust, cams, inlet) and have fun.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
fugazi
Enthusiast

Post by fugazi »

I was at my dealer's this friday and drove the new 'Lancer RalliArt Sportsback'...
"Only" 240hp/343 Nm between 2500-4750rpm, 6speed TC-SST, AWD, 0-100km/h@7.1s

It's frkn nice drive!
Smoothe and quite silent, plenty of bottomend "grunt"!
Would fit my driveway perfect!
And the price is just about right...
Not quite an EVO... but anyway a great car!

Which one's the "best" depends on who you ask...
But the 6.5TME... hmmm... :D
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Evo X also has MIVEC and a 6 speed box. I'm sure Evo 5 onwards had Brembos as standard.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I have driven modded evo 2's a 6.5 a 8mr and 10. The 10 is the best car to drive, but the most fun is the 2 by far. Much stronger driveline in the early cars (6 speeds break easy)

Agreed mivec and brembos are fantastic but the late model cars lack that raw chuckable feel of the early ones. As a daily a late model car would be my choice, but as a fun car the early ones just can't be beaten.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah the early cars were just so light which helped make them quick and easy to throw around - now these days the Evo X weighs more than my VR-4, which was considered such a heavy-weight at the time.
ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i agree with Shannon, the 1250kg or so early series are the best, the evo 7 onwards are just wayyyyy too heavy and large, the 10 is a joke IMO it's not even a lancer in japan they're marketed as a galant! which explains why they look like one!

best compromise between all is the 6.5, although a 5 or 6 is probably bang for your buck champion, early cars are rare over here (that is, ones that can be fully registered not race/rally reg)

my brother (Mr Ralliart) now owns a 6.5 in japan :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Probably the biggest negative i can see regarding the EVO's is they are a bloody 4 door shopping trolley with a great drivetrain. Not to mention the crap cheap arse plastic interior. i wouldnt be seen dead in one.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

they're a four door shopping trolley which can run rings around most super cars out there. I hardly think the interior plastics of say a Starion are above the standard of the later model Evos - yes the Evo1-3 was a bit baron and typical 90s Japanese car but still weren't too bad.

Besides, everyone knows the Evo 0 was the best :P
ImageImage
greenstaz82
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by greenstaz82 »

Vulpes wrote:Probably the biggest negative i can see regarding the EVO's is they are a bloody 4 door shopping trolley with a great drivetrain. Not to mention the crap cheap arse plastic interior. i wouldnt be seen dead in one.
i think evos were never ment to have flash interior as it ends up in the bin with most race rally cars .. i think mitsubishi had that one figured out .
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

I disagree Steve, i think the starion leather is probably a bit above the EVO plastic and I am not disputing their performance, just their origins. I would rather drive a car that was made to be a sports car from the begining than as I said a hotted up shopping trolley. Its a bit like hot Fords and Commodores, sure they go like hell but they are also used for Taxis. There is just something not right about that. I dont think a starion was ever used as a taxi or company Reps vehicle other than perhaps the general manager back in the 80's.
Somebody just asked what were the pros and cons. I just see their origins as a con and obvioulsy their performance as a huge pro.
Certainly the later ones like dark elfs looked shit hot i must agree.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

dirtygalant wrote:they're a four door shopping trolley which can run rings around most super cars out there. I hardly think the interior plastics of say a Starion are above the standard of the later model Evos - yes the Evo1-3 was a bit baron and typical 90s Japanese car but still weren't too bad.

Besides, everyone knows the Evo 0 was the best :P
I was refering to only the early interiors, you are correct steve.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

i really like the evo 5 or 6 but have never driven one .

the evos start getting the brembos in the evos 5.

but i like the evos 7 interior its just nice .

for the price of evo 5 and 6 they are a real steel. well thats what i think.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
4gpwr
I love starions

evo

Post by 4gpwr »

The SST transmissions are brilliant , not a real good auto , but in sports mode and manual mode , there is nothing better . My wifes CJ Ralliart lancer chops all my mates cars and by the time they make the power to the ground the race is over .
4Gs Rule
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

My reason for the 9 was it has the Mivec (as does the 10) but I hate the style/look of the 10. I think its plain ugly. technically great (gearbox etc) but if you spew everytime you walk out in the morning to drive it whats the point LOL

Personal preference for what I would use it for (ie spirited fun drive/track day stuff) would be a 6.5 TME in black. Plug in the 7 ecu, some inlet/cam exhaust work, coil overs and some fat rims and tyres and I think you would be king of the rink. As a daily driver I'd go a 7 or 9 and leave it alone.

Interesting thread btw :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.