hho generator

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
paradox
I like starions

hho generator

Post by paradox »

not putting it on the station as such, testing evrything on my cheaper car of course first.

HHO generators, or creating hydrogen from water solution.
I'm sure theres people out there that have heard about it and a lot of sceptics, I'm just wondering if anyone has tried it out?

Also just to say for them that don't believe it, this is a real science and does work. the same experiments are done in chemistry at schools to do "pop tests". Its a similar principle to hybrid cars that run on hydrogen and fuel as all the system i'm talking about just adds hydrogen to the oxygen that then mixes with the fuel, and is intended to increase mileage. If burning hydrogen in the mix it should burn better, more complete and increase performance as hydrogen is more explosive.

If interested in some of the proposed methods on the net, just look up hho generator, water4gas, hydrogen generator or something similar for cars.

Cheers
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

just remember the laws of physics, you cant get something for nothing. also this question has been asked of dr karl on jjj quite a few times..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I've heard they work really well with energy polarisers, earthing kits and hi-clones. Combine all together and your car becomes so efficient that it produces fuel as you drive that you can sell.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

MrBishi wrote:I've heard they work really well with energy polarisers, earthing kits and hi-clones. Combine all together and your car becomes so efficient that it produces fuel as you drive that you can sell.
LOL LOL LOL LOL
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Mr Bishi = The new Cookie.

Seriously though, Isn't playing with around hydrogen dangerous? I believe that is one of the downfalls with these hydrogen cars. I mean the thought of driving around in a H-bomb sort of worries me.

Goodluck anyway and post the results.
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Ooh hydrogen additive hey.

Yeh I've done plenty of research on that. There was a guy on the news in Melbourne running hydrogen along with his Petrol, and getting good economy improvements, so I did some research.

There's a group of people in Melbourne researching it, under Climtech solutions, or also called HOH, run by Cameron Ashton.

HERE'S THE CONCEPT (at least for the one I'm talking about):

The key with this is NOT trying to run just hydrogen, or make a SUPER efficient system, but just generate enough hydrogen to assist the fuel burning, improve combustion, and improve efficiency.

Adding hydrogen to normal petrol combustion is a known good combination. Petrol needs oxygen to burn, hydrogen also burns, and also combined with oxygen produces a more thorough burning of the petrol, and the result of burning Hydrogen with your Oxygen is H20 (water - but in vapour form because of the heat) along with all the other emissions caused through burning the petrol etc (CO2 and CO). This results in a much cleaner (although still with plenty bad stuff) exhaust emission.

The method these guys use is a container (or 'cell') with water in it (sometimes other chemicals are added to assist the reaction) and you pass electric current generated by your alternator through it (yes, there is a loss due to extra current drawn on alternator... read on).

The cell seperates the water (H2O) into Hydrogen, and Oxygen (both excellent additions to petrol to help it burn!). It also produces some water vapour, etc, which is also handy. Kind of why these guys call it HOH cos of the Hydrogen, Oxygen etc combination of seperation that you get chemically.

EXPLOSION NOTE: because of the very low volume of hydrogen produced as you go, it is not in any danger of explosion, and these systems have flashback arrestors (found in welding systems) to stop any such flame getting back into the 'cell'. I have personally tested this myself, and lit a small, continueing flame off the end of the hydrogen supply. This is the advantage of generating the hydrogen on board rather than storing it in a tank that IS a big explosion risk.

RE-TUNING NOTE to achieve the best improvements from this, you SHOULD adjust your engine management to supply less petrol for a given airflow. You can either use a cheap airflow sensor interceptor, or get engine management reprogrammed. How much you do this directly affects how much fuel savings you may get. But you can also use the stuff without doing this, or even on a carby car, and still notice savings.

RESULTS hopefull speak louder than words:
So, the results that have been seen from doing this have not been anything crazy or revolutionary like some have claimed, especially on some crazy sites in the US, or as tested by Mythbusters. BUT you can see consistent fuel improvements, in the order of 15% to 35% and in really carefully tweaked cases a couple of people have got closer to 50% improvements. These results are overall results, so this takes into account the power loss due to extra drain on the alternator.

These guys have had a CSIRO scientist also check out some of their claims, and the validity is definitely there. In a way it's again similar to adding water mist as well, plenty of things can be done to improve engine efficiency, but it's up to whether you want the hassle.

Personally I think it's pretty cool, and would have continued looking at it and testing it if I'd had the time and money.

If people are interested, have a look at this site. You can buy existing kits, etc from there. There's even a group you can go join in with and test out results, and look at their demonstrations in Melbourne. Any questions just ask! I may be able to point you in the right direction.

The site in Melbourne is:
http://www.climtechsolutions.com/

NOTE guys, there will always be some fanatics with anything like this, so don't let them put you off some of the valid results and findings that are there too.

Hope that's helpful and interesting! :)
And if I've stepped on anyone's toes in saying any of that, I haven't meant to, just an interesting topic, and hopefully that sheds some light on it. I'm no expert though, and only have a basic understand of the chemistry of combustion, so if you find errors in the stuff above, I'm open to correction.

:beer
Last edited by MitsuMadness on Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

But yes, there are defnitely some pretty wacked claims out there! So no, I'm not an efficiency crazed person trying to fit a flux capacitor to my car.
I quite like burning petrol! But some savings in my wallet are always handy.

There is actually a few sites that advertise to SELL you plans to make your car run on JUST water, or JUST air, if you PAY them for the plans. Hmmmmmmm yeh :shock:

1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
paradox
I like starions

Post by paradox »

MitsuMadness, yes thats mostly what the plans i'm going off are like, again too, i'm only after the improvement if its not too much of a bother but i thought it was interesting too, what i could get out of it.
the stopper valve
pcv valve
fuel heater, I'm just using copper piping.
and the generator on this plan.

the generator should waste less power (if connected straight from the battery) when connected to more cell generators. 12v spread accross more cells. [/img]
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Awesome! Yeh looks good. It's a small cell, but better than nothing, probly easily enough for testing and some improvement on fuel usage tho. :)
Will be really interested to hear how you go on this!
Good luck! :beer

paradox
I like starions

Post by paradox »

the wire setup inside the system and jar will most likely be changed if it is more efficient, and made larger. I had a look at a car today that runs on gas already, and the hydrogen system is in it aswell. when running with the hydrogen cell was 30% more efficient, I'm yet to test this for myself of course but thats alright fuel econemy for just one cell.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

On foxtel the other day there was a story on worlds most expensive rides and there is a guy in arizona ? making a sports car called a scorpion. it uses its own hydrogyn generator on board as an additive to the petrol and they are getting really impressive gains from a lexus V8. mostly in the area of emissions but also about a 30 percent improvement in economy.

http://www.likecool.com/Scorpion_Hydrog ... --Car.html

Cheers
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

That's cool! Awesome to see a professionally produced car with it!

Yeh you can use it with Gas and even Diesel :)

vr4gone
I like starions more

Post by vr4gone »

I made one and ran it on my vr4 using the translator to control fuel mixtures.

It netted me an extra 130ks to a tank.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

thats bloody impressive ! :o
paradox
I like starions

Post by paradox »

Thats Great. what were you getting for a tank full normally?