Cops

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Cops

Post by TOMSUN »

I got pulled over by the cops this afternoon after work East bound on the M5.

I was doing about 130 in a 110 zone and obviously overtaking at a fair number of cars. I saw him way back in amongst traffic trying to weave through without his lights on so I backed off to approx 110.

He hit the lights and I pulled over. Fark!!!

I opened my door and he asked for my licence. Then he said open your bonnet. FARK!!!

So I opened my bonnet and he's says so.... who did the modifications... I said mostly me.

Then he says you know your not supposed to have a pod filter, I said yeah, it's on my list of things to fix (Luck he didn't ask what else is on my list....) then he said and your blow off valve too. I said... I don't have a blow off valve. He says... Well, it sounded like one when you when past me. (He was a doing a radar back in Williamson rd Ingleburn. So I obviously made an impression on him for him to chase me down)
Then I explained that the sound is flutter coming from the turbo as the air surges back through the compressor when shutting the throttle on boost. Then he says, when am I going to fix the pod filter? I said very soon. This is my 2nd car so I'll fix it before I drive it again. He said well ok, but I'll defect you next time I see you. I said, it will be fixed before the next time I see him. I said I work at Ingleburn, and I'm sure I'll you again, but hopfully not, if you know what I mean...

Then he took off.

I'm thinking geez that was lucky...
* Speeding (130 at least closer to 140 when overtaking an SS Ute)
* My "WSID Drag Race for Real" sticker was still on the front window.
* Barely any tread on the rears (see point above)
* Pod filter
* No EGR valve
* PCV not connected
* Charcoal canister thingy not connected
* Catch can breather going to atmosphere
* etc

So I'm feeling pretty dam lucky at the moment.

Then I get an SMS from Shannon (www .18u). "Someone's been naughty" he must have seen me pulled over when he was west bound too funny.

Then I see the same cop had a FTO P plater pulled over before I even got to Liverpool. He must have been on a mission.

The thought went though my head when he said "pop the bonnet". I had been thinking about this day when it came, and I was going to say..." OK, I'll open it, but only if you can tell me what motor this is supposed to have under here...." :D LOL
But I wussed out (prolly the smart option) :P
1985 JB Starion #157
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

then he said and your blow off valve too. I said... I don't have a blow off valve. He says... Well, it sounded like one when you when past me.
i love how the cops think they know stuff about cars!

if he could not tell u didnt have a blow off valve i dont know how he would of known about:
* No EGR valve
* PCV not connected
* Charcoal canister thingy not connected
* Catch can breather going to atmosphere
* etc

but still good thing you got out of it all without problems :)

if you had P-Plates on it might of been a different story!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

lucky mate!
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

MR Bender wrote:lucky mate!
Dam straight!
All I could think was $200... $400.... How much is this going to cost me...
1985 JB Starion #157
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Yeah i was going to create a diversion for you, but i don't think i would have got very far in my stock lancer wagon rofl
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

I remember when i had my Cordia Turbo. Pulled over on side of road by traffic branch cop.
Cop "Wheres your blower"
Me "My car doesnt have a blower"
Cop "Yes you do i heard it as you came down the road"
Me "Thats not a blower, Thats the BOV"
Cop "Ok then"

Another time same cop(was on a mission about my car)
Cop pointing to the TBI gasket sealant "See you have an oil leak"
Me "Thats not an oil leak, thats the fuel injection"
Cop "Its wet see"
Me rubbing finger over the join showing him no residue on my finger "No its not"

He pulled me over something like 5 times within 2 weeks, all i ended up getting was a 1 point , $75 fine for defective vehicle for bald tires on front.

Havnt been pulled over by cops since the JA has been registered. Just a RBT station where they young cop didnt bother checking the car.
Although the Brisbane traffic branch are on the prowl in town at the moment so the Starion is parked up :D
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

^^ ah yes the boondall flying squad. a total bunch of fuckwits. if you go cruising take your video camera! or a voice recorder to record them swearing at you, the magistrates love that.

ps tomsun LUCKEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! [/the wedge]
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

I can't stand them.. i started to build a folder of defect photocopies of all sorts of " fix yourself in 2 wks " crap.
It got to the point with my skyline that i pulled out the folder one night and said to the cop "if your gonna sook at me for something make it something thats not in here already, i'm trying to get the full set".

whats this BS of can't have a pod??? i have had a pod on all of my cars for ages and never had anything said.

also did you know the starion has a BOV standard?? a gladstone cop who pulled me thinks so.. don't know where he'd get a thing like that LOL!!!
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

benny wrote:I can't stand them.. i started to build a folder of defect photocopies of all sorts of " fix yourself in 2 wks " crap.
It got to the point with my skyline that i pulled out the folder one night and said to the cop "if your gonna sook at me for something make it something thats not in here already, i'm trying to get the full set".

whats this BS of can't have a pod??? i have had a pod on all of my cars for ages and never had anything said.

also did you know the starion has a BOV standard?? a gladstone cop who pulled me thinks so.. don't know where he'd get a thing like that LOL!!!
Too funny...

As for the pod filter it needs to be contained within an airbox. As the airbox is part of the system to contain certain parts of emissions eg the rocker cover breather hose to the catch can and the catch can breather hose should to the air box for any excess oil mist/gases. Like the factory configuration. Even cutting holes in the factory air box is a defect.

It's the easiest thing for the cops to identify so thats the first thing they are likely to defect you on. (NSW not sure on other states)
1985 JB Starion #157
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

as long as the breathers are behind the pod (ie in the air stream after it) they dont have a leg to stand on legally.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

man i cant beleive a pod filter is illegal...
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah neither.. that's some pretty strict laws there.

What about all the cars which have factory BOVs - are they not allowed them, or do they have to remain factory only?

My Eterna had a BOV from factory in 1980, housed in the compressor cover - most early model Jap spec Starions with non-intercooled TC05s should have them too.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

TOMSUN wrote:
MR Bender wrote:lucky mate!
Dam straight!
All I could think was $200... $400.... How much is this going to cost me...
I got pulled over after a spirited u-turn and the first thing I thought was $$$$. Then he mentioned hoon laws...confiscate car etc. Thankfully , he said don't do it again...bye bye *phew*

dirtygalant wrote:What about all the cars which have factory BOVs - are they not allowed them, or do they have to remain factory only?

My Eterna had a BOV from factory in 1980, housed in the compressor cover - most early model Jap spec Starions with non-intercooled TC05s should have them too.
BOV's are fine if fitted from the factory cos they are always plumbed back in. When you have a venting one, it stuff up the emissions etc..or at least that's the cops reason for the infringement. If you plumb it back in yourself, you may have a more legal leg to stand on as emission controls aren't affected.
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

NSW and QLD laws on pod filters are different, In NSW they have to be enclosed and attached firmly to the body.
In QLD they only have to be attached to the body.

All BOVs have to be plumb back. Vent to atmosphere BOV is one of the easier defects to get. As 99.99% of cars with factory fitted BOVs are plumb back thats ok.

About the most picky one you can get would be no water in washer bottle (yes they check for it if they are strict)
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
starion4me
I've been here before

Post by starion4me »

Chrysler Conquest (SOLD)
270.6 Kw (362 HP) @ the wheels