What engine combination?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.

Which Engine Combination

SOHC
15%
Dash
26%
DOHC
59%

Total votes: 27

RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

What engine combination?

Post by RiceThief »

I've been a massive horder of parts over the years with the intent of building an engine capable of 200rwkw. I've come to abit of a crossroads and am not sure which way to go for an engine combination.

Sohc - the advantages are I have been hording large amount of parts for it, mpi, a forged block (needs to be inspected, with possibly rebuilt), camtech stage 2 cam and another more aggressive one that cam with the block, turbo and manifold. The disadvantage is using the sohc is the car wont be orginal anymore.

Dash - advantages are it will keep the car orginal, can use the turbo and manifold, can use vr4 pistons if necessary as i have them lying around too (but chances are dash pistons are similar to vr4 ones). Disadvantages are it will be expensive to mpi this engine, dont think there is any cam available for it short of going something totally custom.

Dohc - advantages are it has more power potential, its already mpi, cams are available off the shelf, same with forged pistons and engine could possibly do 200kw with just the right turbo. Disadvantages are the initial effort required to convert to dohc and car wont be orginal anymore.

Sorry for such a long post but i thought i better have a plan before starting this project.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Go the DASH and show what that engine can do!
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Wantsom has a pretty good idea of what the dash can do and i believe he's pretty close to the limit with it with the i believe stock cam.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

if u got the time and money go DOHC ull never regret it!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I would go SOHC if I were you (Thats what I voted for). DOHC is MUCH better but for the power you are after, you can easily achieve that cheaper with the SOHC and the mass amount of parts you said you have. Thats my Two cents worth... Or is that not even worth that?
palmystar
Dorifto!

Post by palmystar »

I would go DOHC. Have been in a dohc starion and is a completely different car compared to sohc. and the power comes easier.
If its not broken. Don't fix it
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

I went the SOHC path... I'm happy so far but if I had my time again I would have gone a DOHC.

Not sure what the difference in the cost would have been but at a guess I think it would be minimal to the overal cost but the result would be worth it.
1985 JB Starion #157
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

It isn't too different compared to building a SOHC from Scratch. If you already had inlet and exhaust manifolds then the cost goes up heaps because you have to remake them all again.

I personally am going DOHC. But thats because I want the wider range of power. :beer
4gpwr
I love starions

dohc

Post by 4gpwr »

Go twin cam , don't bother with a little head , my sohc motor hits a wall at 215 rwk with a reground cam and to make more pwr I have to spend alot for what could be little gains , with the Dohc and my turbo ect I should see close to 300rwk with stock cams no head porting ect and about 20 - 25 psi
4Gs Rule
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

If you want to keep the DASH then you know what will be available in a few months time :beer

The dyno run the other day before a few electrical gremlins set in was 198kw atw (TD05 16g on 20lb). We didnt get a chance to start to fine tune it before some damaged plug leads came to the forefront.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
MainstreaM
I've been here before

Post by MainstreaM »

I've got both DOHC for my widey and DASH for my flatty in the works, but then again, we never got the sirius engine in the states.
WANTSOM wrote:If you want to keep the DASH then you know what will be available in a few months time
Care to elaborate? I'm still needing quite a few DASH bits.

Kane
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'd be going with greg's dash motor bao, and sell off what you wont be using from your accumulated parts. and keep the original stuff aside so it can be converted back to stock later if need be.

no reason why you couldnt get a cam reground for the dash motor..

and bugger off the 16G and put a good GT series garrett on it, you'll have more power than you can use on the street.

remember people the Dash 12V motor made more power stock (148kw) than the VR4 dohc (147kw)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

redzone wrote: remember people the Dash 12V motor made more power stock (148kw) than the VR4 dohc (147kw)
VR4 made 177kw stock

I'd say SOHC for the street, purely to keep it original and DOHC for the track IMHO
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Pick whatever takes your fancy. Any engine combo thats setup correctly will make 350+ whp
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Junkers wrote:
redzone wrote: remember people the Dash 12V motor made more power stock (148kw) than the VR4 dohc (147kw)
VR4 made 177kw stock

I'd say SOHC for the street, purely to keep it original and DOHC for the track IMHO
not on our fuel it didnt...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au