Nimbus with NA 4G63

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
redzone
racking my brains

Nimbus with NA 4G63

Post by redzone »

awesome budget sleeper lol.. know the owner from ozgemini.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3125955

now who's gonna put a turbo version in one??
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

Already been done. Was on one of the first few Ignition DVDs.
Maouri looking guy had it.
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

They come out factory turbo ya know!
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

^With 4wd as well. From the Cordia's.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

nah the MR turbo was only FWD while the MT was 4WD and non-turbo. Wouldn't be hard to make a MT 4WD into a turbo MR hybrid, althought I think most of the MT 4WDs were 4G63 SOHC carb
ImageImage
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

People in actual sportscars are offended to be beaten by this thing.
i wonder if owners of 'actual sportscars' knew they were in a race...

it would go all right, but it wouldnt be a rocket by any stretch of the imagination... now if it was turbo'd it would be a hell of a lot more interesting.
oz, here i come....
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

Worked on one years ago with the draw thru turbo and a transfer case.
It was factory and a nightmare
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

so there was a 4wd version of this shape from factory? the owner's been trying to find pics/info on them but drawn a blank. any of you kiwi's got pics etc???
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

kiwieurospec wrote:Worked on one years ago with the draw thru turbo and a transfer case.
It was factory and a nightmare
That's an oddity alright.. being draw-through turbo it could only be the 4G32 1600cc (or at a stretch the 4G37 1800cc) as there was no carb-turbo manifold made for the Sirius series engine. The actual Chariot MR models are 4G62 with TC05 just like the early import Cordia Turbos, but none were factory 4WD.

If the Chariot 4WD is anything to go by the Cordia 4WD I had, the driveshaft tunnel was higher and the rear suspension mountings and boot floor were way different to the FWD model. I can't see it an easy task to retro-fit the 4WD gear into a FWD model either.
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

redzone wrote:so there was a 4wd version of this shape from factory? the owner's been trying to find pics/info on them but drawn a blank. any of you kiwi's got pics etc???
Yup there was a factory 4WD model of the Chariot (Nimbus) from Japan and I'm sure some european countries just like the Cordia/Tredia 4WD.

I would assume it would be mechanically the same as the Cordia/Tredia 4WD although I've never seen one close up to look.

I have pics somewhere of the drivetrain of my old Cordia 4WD I'll have to dig up, but it's very different to the E39A VR-4 4WD system.
ImageImage
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

dirtygalant wrote:
redzone wrote:so there was a 4wd version of this shape from factory? the owner's been trying to find pics/info on them but drawn a blank. any of you kiwi's got pics etc???
Yup there was a factory 4WD model of the Chariot (Nimbus) from Japan and I'm sure some european countries just like the Cordia/Tredia 4WD.

I would assume it would be mechanically the same as the Cordia/Tredia 4WD although I've never seen one close up to look.

I have pics somewhere of the drivetrain of my old Cordia 4WD I'll have to dig up, but it's very different to the E39A VR-4 4WD system.
my girlfriends dad has a factory 4wd chariot as a work hack... maybe i should get some pics of it before he sells it or dumps it.
oz, here i come....
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah old mate was looking at the trans tunnel and he couldnt see how they could do it, very true about the cordia 4wd style setup though, i'd bet thats what they did.....

adrian
[P] Plates

Post by adrian »

Are you guys referring to an RVR, 4g63 dohc turbo AWD? Looks like a 3dr short wheelbase nimbus.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

nah, older, like this one...
i think... :oops:
oz, here i come....
Nimbus
Newcomer

Post by Nimbus »

Hey guys! My name is Greg, and I'm the bloke who owns the bus in question.
First off, awsome forum! I've checked out some of your cars and they are amazing! I was looking at a JD a few years ago, but it was a bit thrashed. I ended up with a turbo fc.. Bad choice, but you live and learn.
Thanks for posting the link Coxy. Without realizing it, you guys just told me more about the jap version of my car than I've been able to find out in years! It's great to see some people actually know their stuff, and are willing to take the time to post info.
I had heard of a turbo awd early chariot, but nobody I ever spoke to had seen one! Every time it turned out to be another RVR or the second gen chariot.

Already been done. Was on one of the first few Ignition DVDs.
Maouri looking guy had it.
Hey, I'm not the only one? Awsome, we nearly have a club! :o
However, isn't that ignition dvd all about chrome wheels and polished blowoff valves? Did this dude try to make his nimbus look cool?! LOL
How do I find pics!
They come out factory turbo ya know!
I do now!
nah the MR turbo was only FWD while the MT was 4WD and non-turbo. Wouldn't be hard to make a MT 4WD into a turbo MR hybrid, althought I think most of the MT 4WDs were 4G63 SOHC carb
They weren't DOHC though right? Now I really want an MT so I can go fullhouse evo0 motor!
i wonder if owners of 'actual sportscars' knew they were in a race...
Haha, I see where you're going with this! I'm not some P plater honda driver with a fart cannon claiming to have the baddest car on the road because he 'beats' retired STi drivers from the lights. rofl
I don't hoon around much these days any more.
Yes they did.
it would go all right, but it wouldnt be a rocket by any stretch of the imagination... now if it was turbo'd it would be a hell of a lot more interesting.
Got it in one. It is not a rocket. It actually started off as a joke!
It's best hand is played on the twisties. Don't laugh yet. The suspension is virtually non existant (solid), and everything including the motor is solid mounted. The car has basically no suspension travel. It is EXTREMELY rough to drive, but it has a nice mix of power and handeling that makes it a rocket up around the hills. This is where I have pissed off a couple of randoms and a few mates with 'real' performance cars. I've owned a variety of cars, old and new, fast and slow, and apart from my old gemini rally car, this is the most fun.
Keep in mind, this nimbus has cost me under $1500 to build. That includes the car! It is my daily. I tow with it, camp in it, take it offroad, do jumps in it, and load 7 people in it.
It sure would be interesting with a turbo! Needs more wheels driven IMO.
I have pics somewhere of the drivetrain of my old Cordia 4WD I'll have to dig up
Pretty please! I would love to see it, but the awd must have a very different X-member/steering setup..

Haha, nice picture Defective! Even Mr.Bishi himself couldn't make the chariot look cool!

I love these things. My parents had one when I was a kid. That one was the car I taught myself to drive in. It was also my first registered car.
If I could find an AWD one in NZ or Japan that I could import, I'd do it for sure. Toughen up the driveline, throw a worked VR4 motor in it, and head for the track.
Thanks for all your help guys, I really apreciate it! Sorry to spam up your forum with a people mover. :wink:

Also, are you lot still keeping a starion registery? There are a few at a wrecker near here. I could get photos of the comp plates if you need them.
Cheers, Greg