1/4 mile times

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Cookiemonster wrote:
UltimateLurker wrote:Don't get me wrong, when the Widebody came out with it's huge 16" wheels and sticky Yokohama A008 tires, it felt like it was on rails! Compared to the other cars of the day, it handled excellent, it just doesn't seem to hold up in today's world with it's weight and dated re-ball steering (man, what was Mitsu thinkin' with that?).

To my mind the G54B should have never been in the Starion, the car positively screams technology, what sense does it make to put a workhorse truck/marine/forklift motor in a space-age craft?

Anyway...

Mitsubishi said our '84 with the G54B weighed 2,802 lbs (and they're always 200 lbs short), so what did your '84 weigh?
2802 lbs = 1270kg's

Add that '200 short": 3002 lbs = 1361kg's

The JA starion is listed as 1265kg's = 2788 lbs in Yanky language.
Yes, but how much of this extra weight is attributed to the bigger engine?

I agree, UL, Mitsubishi should have either stuck with the 2L or at least developed and fitted the twin cam earlier. Perhaps the heavier weight of the widebodies saw the need for them to fit a more torquey engine to offset this. Who knows what Mitsubishi were thinking?

I know that the DOHC 2L has been swapped into the US cars quite a bit, but how well has this been accepted by the US Starquest enthusiasts? Is it a desirable conversion in their eyes or is it frowned upon? I know that when one guy posted up his V6TT 6G72-engined Starion he was harassed and never returned to the board.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
UltimateLurker
Big Dorifto

Post by UltimateLurker »

The 4G63 swap is not common, and there are several reasons why.

1. People have trouble finding a transmission that'll work.
2. It's a big job, most SQ guys are shade-tree mechanics, nothing more.
3. It costs more than whole cars do.
4. It's hard to start over when you've already got so many mods.
5. Magna MPI is cheaper, and we get to keep the torque.

The 4G63 may be a dream to myself and many other 'Questers, but it's a seldom realized one.
UL (The Encyclopedia Starquestica)