I want out of the US

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

leoca ,the sohc has oil squirters
Last edited by OLD FART on Wed Nov 26, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

This shit gets old really fast.

Quit bagging either engine out. It gets no where. Any engine can potentially make more power than is usable on the road.

The constant side-tracking and bickering is wearing thin with me.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

I'm more curious than anything about 2L sohc potential.. not "bickering
redzone wrote:ps quest, what about joedogs twin cam running 9's?

and yes i'm keen to see what a sohc 63 is capable of, if guys over here can get a dirty old gemini G180 sohc pulling 450 rwhp on a dyno dynamics and 9.1's in a full weight street car then a 2.0 63 sohc should be able to pull deep into the 10's in a starion. we just need someone who has the balls to run 35+ psi into one.
a moderator on SQC was friends with the owner of a 9.5sec g54 street starquest built before the internet era. He posted details of it occasionally.
What if that car had the same level of R&D as the 4g63 and joedogs auto tranny, etc?

I'd rather not dwell in the land of make believe, what ifs, maybes, perhaps....
Examples I gave was more typical of what an advanced enthusiast can/has built.
Point is.... mod for mod, the 2.6 can/has paralelled the 63 dohc swaps.
Can the same be said of the sohc vs dohc conversions over your way ?

I recall an 11.9sec 2.0 sohc posted recently, but I haven't seen a detail build up, car weight, etc. Maybe it does compare to an 11.9 sec 2L dohc starion ?

I can see a 2.4sohc rivaling the 2.6 tq, but it would be surprising to see if the 2L had any 'special' design attribute that nullified the displacement disadvantage.
Reminds me of sr20 bandwagoners raggin on the 2.4L dohc nissan 'truck' motor. Once the serious build 2.4s started flexing, all that nonsense stopped. Abruptly.

Since you know these 63sohc motors well... what recipee would you prescribe for a 10sec street starion
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

1) custom sheet metal style straight port intake manifold, 15 degree taper, with bellmouth inlets inside a 4LT plenum, 70mm throttle body

2) CP pistons/scat rods combo, 7:1 comp ratio

3) knife edged, balanced, nitrided longnose crank, king bearings

4) 2.4 head, flow bench ported, 1mm o/s staino valves

5) custom MLS head gasket

6)arp studs throughout, crank girdle optional, maybe just the VR4 caps

7) T04Z on 1.5 inch steampipe tuned length exh manifold, pumping 35psi plus

8) autronic SM4 or haltech E8 ecu

9) multi channel CDI ignition

that should get you close to 9's i'd say, if the rest of the car was setup right.

and the 11.9 was never substantiated, i think it was just a stir on another forum......
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

7.1?? not very streetable eh?

why do you mention the autronic or haltech specifically? what are your reasons for picking these over the wolf or the ems for example?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thrash wrote:7.1?? not very streetable eh?

why do you mention the autronic or haltech specifically? what are your reasons for picking these over the wolf or the ems for example?
I'd assume value for money!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

they're pretty much the next step up the ladder, without going stupid with your money..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so the wolf or ems are lesser models in your eyes eh? I've always heard that microtech is cheap shit, but that the rest are fairly decent.. I guess i'll have to change my mind about using an ems then :S
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

nah ems and wolf are good, its just personal preference really. i've fitted wolf, ems, haltech, motec (old) soon autronic aswell. i dont like microtech at all.

in fact i'll be running a stinger on my twin cam in the widey one day when it gets some spanners thrown at it LOL

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

redzone wrote:that should get you close to 9's i'd say, if the rest of the car was setup right..
from a 2L 2 valve.... heavy street starion... 5 spd... no nitros ? Won't happen.
Takes an extremely talented, capable, experienced individual to pull that off.
Low 10 is a stretch for the more powerful sr20 or ka24 in the lighter Nissan S13.

Perfect example of a hi 9sec 2 valve 1.8L, celica 5spd, street car here, no spray
car http://i27.tinypic.com/300v2td.jpg
motor http://i31.tinypic.com/20jjse1.jpg
interior http://i29.tinypic.com/14wcb9v.jpg
audio http://i30.tinypic.com/500bv5.jpg

madness! >>

no mention of cam/valvetrain in your recipee... definitely need a quality grind.
1.8L above dyno'd 487hp @30psi but camshaft made tq curve resemble a twincam motor,
and powers on past 7500 rpm. EMS stinger
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

quest wrote:
redzone wrote:that should get you close to 9's i'd say, if the rest of the car was setup right..
from a 2L 2 valve.... heavy street starion... 5 spd... no nitros ? Won't happen.
Takes an extremely talented, capable, experienced individual to pull that off.
Low 10 is a stretch for the more powerful sr20 or ka24 in the lighter Nissan S13.

Perfect example of a hi 9sec 2 valve 1.8L, celica 5spd, street car here, no spray
car http://i27.tinypic.com/300v2td.jpg
motor http://i31.tinypic.com/20jjse1.jpg
interior http://i29.tinypic.com/14wcb9v.jpg
audio http://i30.tinypic.com/500bv5.jpg

madness! >>

no mention of cam/valvetrain in your recipee... definitely need a quality grind.
1.8L above dyno'd 487hp @30psi but camshaft made tq curve resemble a twincam motor,
and powers on past 7500 rpm. EMS stinger
That motor looks like the 1.8 motor in theT18 RWD COROLLA 2 door hatchback that was sold here I think they are even rarer than our Staz's
From memory the cam was very high in the block with short pushrods
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

you are correct sir
simple motor, bombproof, outrageous perf credentials and has a cult following, mainly with the islanders. 2/3TC put corolla on the map as the world bestseller.
You can still find virgin TE rollas, but supplies dryin' up fast.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

quest - to me, close to 9's means low 10's.. not actually IN the 9's.

and street is relative, of course if it is a street car you'd retain the IRS, but most of the unnecessary interior parts would be gone, i'd be using something like toyo RA1's or M/T's, 6 bolt rear with 4.222 gears and an RX7 box, and i'd be driving it :wink:

so what gearbox was in this 9 sec 2.6 starion?

RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

thrash wrote:so the wolf or ems are lesser models in your eyes eh? I've always heard that microtech is cheap shit, but that the rest are fairly decent.. I guess i'll have to change my mind about using an ems then :S
Best way to choose your ecu is find a tuner you are comfortable with tuning your car and find out what ecu they like best. The haltec, wolf and ems are all comparable with price and function.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

redzone wrote:quest - to me, close to 9's means low 10's.. not actually IN the 9's.

and street is relative, of course if it is a street car you'd retain the IRS, but most of the unnecessary interior parts would be gone, i'd be using something like toyo RA1's or M/T's, 6 bolt rear with 4.222 gears and an RX7 box, and i'd be driving it :wink:

so what gearbox was in this 9 sec 2.6 starion?
yeah, I'd reckon one would have to destroy a starion to get a 2L 2 valve to touch
low 10s shifting gears without spray.
Thinking something more realistic... like a full weight street lancer, mid 11s,
3.54:1, staz 5spd, ~400hp with a tq curve shape as the g54 or 2.3 fords' done.
Should be an exceptionally quick fun ride

can't remember what was used in the 9sec starion.