I want out of the US

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

Since we are on the topic. I've been telling shannon I may move down there eventually. i think i will finish my millwright apprenticeship first and journey out.

I dont know how it is down there for millwrghts, but I have about 3 more years left here. I do quite a bit of ge natural gas/diesel power generation turbines. Done some paper milles, steel mills, Gonna be doing some steam turbines pretty soon.

If you dont know what a millwright is, they are some of the most skilled workers in the world :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright

'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

groupAralliart wrote:Did I mention the ladies!
This should be priority #1 in your choice of locale.

AZ... I know there's a few SQ'ers out there... you getting tired of their ugly mugs or something?? I know JustPaus is out there... LOL...

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

wrenchman wrote:on a side note are all starions out there the 2.0l 4g63e or 4g63et or do you guys have the 2.6l 4g54bt just curious and wondering if i should bring a few 4g63det's with me cause they are cheap here and i have a few laying around
What is a 4g63e/et/det?!

Sounds like you've been hanging around too many nassiN kids... that'll scare you away for sure.

-Robert
wrenchman
[L] Plates

Post by wrenchman »

4g63 is the block code for the 2.0l engine E is sohc DE is dohc and DET is dohc turbo there is also an ET witch is sohc turbo it has nothing to do with who ive been hanging out with it is just how mitsubishi designates their motors just like nissan has the VG30 or SR20 and toyota has the 7MGTE and 1JZGTe
88 starion wide body
84 mitsubishi starion flatside
Vulpes
almost postwhore

4g54

Post by Vulpes »

Hi,, the 2.0L is twice the engine the 2.6L engine is. I can never understand people here who swap out the 2.0L for the 2.6L. They say there is no substitute for cubic inches. Actually there is, it's called refinement and development. ( a good example is teh way they developed the 2.0L further for the EVO series, look how they turned out comapred to say a starion engine ) We never got the 2.6 Turbo here only the normally aspirated version which is as common as bum holes. Mitsubishi put it in everything they could. They are chain driven and longer than the 4g62 ( even the 4g54 2.0 litre as in the sigma turbo was longer and bigger than the 4g62 ) when I lived in the US from 1986 to 1989 I couldnt believe that starions came out with the older 4g54 engine in them. ( No offence as none is intended but I think it's because Americans love cubic inches ) Anyway this is only the info I know from experiance with bothe engines and both countries, please feel free to flame me if my info is wrong or you all dont agree :beer
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

spot on :)
wrenchman
[L] Plates

Post by wrenchman »

i would be inclined to agree that the 2.0l is a better refined motor and the 2.6 turbo is not the greatest i mean why would you put a long stroke truck motor in a sports car and bolt a turbo to it also what the hell is the point of jet valves and balance shafts (JET VALVES ARE SOME EMISSIONS BS THAT I THINK ARE A US ONLY F%#$ UP) my car has the 2.6 but as soon as i get it over there im going with the 2.0(rwd 2.0 trannys are hard to find here)
88 starion wide body
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

wrenchman wrote:4g63 is the block code for the 2.0l engine E is sohc DE is dohc and DET is dohc turbo there is also an ET witch is sohc turbo it has nothing to do with who ive been hanging out with it is just how mitsubishi designates their motors just like nissan has the VG30 or SR20 and toyota has the 7MGTE and 1JZGTe
Nope... not for Mitsubishi. For Nissan engines, yes (Nissan uses the codes E DE and DET for the heads) Mitsubishi does NOT use a code for the head.

Mitsubishi does however use the code T, (4g63T) to designate a turbo engine.

-Robert
wrenchman
[L] Plates

Post by wrenchman »

im sorry your right i got mixed up
88 starion wide body
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

FYI... the gearbox in the 2.0 and 2.6 starion are the same.
The only difference is the later versions had a alu cover.(and are supposedly stronger)

My 2.6 now has a 2.0 in it and it even runs on the 2.6 ecu & injection.

But if you want the 2.0 DOHC.. that is a different story.
Last edited by Xentro on Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-------------------------------------------
83 2000EX runner.
88 2.0 Black Widebody DOHC evo 6 turbo at 1.7 bar
88 2.6 White Widebody. spun a bearing.
06 2.0 Lancer Wagon. daily driver.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

the dohc is no different either then, since you can slap the dohc head off the 7 bolt motors onto the starion 6 bolt block..?

I wonder how difficult it would be to put an evo 6/7/8/9 4g63 into a starion.. isn't there an evo drift car that has been converted to north south engine and rwd?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

the front wheels drive/4wd blocks are narrow pattern. the evo 4 onwards dont have the rwd type engine mount bosses so there's a lot of fab work involved.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

you could use a evo 4-9 head on a starion block, but that would involve blocking some holes and opening up some others.

(oil drain holes are missing in the block)
-------------------------------------------
83 2000EX runner.
88 2.0 Black Widebody DOHC evo 6 turbo at 1.7 bar
88 2.6 White Widebody. spun a bearing.
06 2.0 Lancer Wagon. daily driver.
quest
I love starions

Re: 4g54

Post by quest »

Vulpes wrote:Hi,, the 2.0L is twice the engine the 2.6L engine is. I can never understand people here who swap out the 2.0L for the 2.6L. They say there is no substitute for cubic inches. Actually there is, it's called refinement and development. ( a good example is teh way they developed the 2.0L further for the EVO series, look how they turned out comapred to say a starion engine )..... please feel free to flame me if my info is wrong or you all dont agree :beer
no need to flame. 2.6 ETs will remove any doubt, and consider u.s. spec starquest
are considerably heavier. I've owned both and agree the 2L sohc is more refined tho.
Long stroke "truck" motors used in "sports car" have torn down barriers.
2.6 was 1st import in the 7s. Nissan KA24 2.4L and toyota 2.4L have touch 7s still
with stock cams! Gets no better than that
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

wrenchman wrote:i would be inclined to agree that the 2.0l is a better refined motor and the 2.6 turbo is not the greatest i mean why would you put a long stroke truck motor in a sports car and bolt a turbo to it also what the hell is the point of jet valves and balance shafts (JET VALVES ARE SOME EMISSIONS BS THAT I THINK ARE A US ONLY F%#$ UP) my car has the 2.6 but as soon as i get it over there im going with the 2.0(rwd 2.0 trannys are hard to find here)
seems to be a misconseption, the g54b isnt a truck engine, its a car engine. it was released in 75, show me a truck in 75? I always wonder how it got a repuation for a truck engine, It was in all the top end galants at the beginning. I believe the forte came out in 78, galants got the g54b in 75, which is derived from the g52b which also isnt a truck engine. It's jsut a stoked out engine.

Look at the 4g64, its in everything, and its stroked out more than a g54b, so call it what you will, but it isnt a truck engine in a sports car.

Frankly, for a sohc view, I think teh g54b is probably a more capable engine than a 4g63 sohc 8v. Add the twin cam head and it is a different story.

Was there a 12v 4g63, dash?
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero