Starion Prices

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Hang on a minute - what are you actually wanting here.

Do you want a mint standardish starion for 8K - yes you will get one
Do you want an already modded for 200kw with smicko interior for $8K - Maybe
Will you be able to buy a standard one and for less than $8K (including the original purchase price) build up what you want - No.

Having done it I know what it costs, and its much more than $.
If you can do it all for less than $8K you are a bloody legend. The hardware alone will cost you that.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

WANTSOM wrote:Hang on a minute - what are you actually wanting here.

Do you want a mint standardish starion for 8K - yes you will get one
Do you want an already modded for 200kw with smicko interior for $8K - Maybe
Will you be able to buy a standard one and for less than $8K (including the original purchase price) build up what you want - No.

Having done it I know what it costs, if you can do it all for less than $8K you are a bloody legend. The hardware alone will cost you that.
Has Marie hit you heavily over the head lately? He already stated he wanted to buy one - no modding required.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

you see im going for the better buck. If i have to get the engine professionally done i dont care.

major things are The car has to be immaculate!!!

the engine just needs to be nice and stocko if i cant get a done up engine, ill do the engine up myself.

because people think i cant get what i want for my money i am thinking of ideas as i go and bouncing it off the people here!
1983 JA Staz
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

theres so many different variables here, like new garret turbo + manifold for 2K or used nissan one for $400 and home made. Interior for me is a couple of bucket seats when i get the time and again, its $500 for a pair of OBX or $1000 each for recaros.

Starion engine will do towards 200rwkw on stock engine, it wont be as reliable as something with forgies but its not a weak engine so if you go below that you could get it done for less.
ECU - used microtech for $600 or brand new motec for $2k+
etc etc.
having said that your best chance would be if someone was willing to sell an already done up one, because your lucky to get half your money back from the mods youve done, so your looking at 10k of mods for an 8k car.
Even when im doing it the cheap way, theres no way im coming in under 8k if you include the purchase cost.
Ive got $1000 of gear in the garage, $1400 more is coming and im looking at another $1800 for wheels and tyres probably.
its not very cheap at all, but fuck id be bored if i was just puttering around in a corolla.
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Paradoxx sold his, I think he was after $6500 for it. It had VR4 twin cam, supra 5 spd, FMIC, Haltech, LSD and was supposed to be in excellent condition inside and out. It may not have had 200rwkw, but it can't have been that far off.
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Gutter_Rat wrote:Im thinking of getting JD... but they arent as powerful....
When they're standard perhaps :twisted:
Eurotrash
I drive commando!

Post by Eurotrash »

I'd sell mine for 8k. Oh thats right there's a melt mark the size of half a disprin on the back seat. Sorry off the market
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

dirty sanchez wrote:Paradoxx sold his, I think he was after $6500 for it. It had VR4 twin cam, supra 5 spd, FMIC, Haltech, LSD and was supposed to be in excellent condition inside and out. It may not have had 200rwkw, but it can't have been that far off.
It was nice, but it wasn't immaculate. The heater didn't work, and the controls weren't actually installed, the aircon was non-existant, the carpet didn't fit properly because of the wiring loom for the EMS, the paint was a little scratched and chipped here and there, and the rear shocks needed replacing, badly!
Having said that, in the car's original configuration, (before Paradoxx bought it), it had 202 rwKW. It wouldn't have taken much to get the thing looking and feeling nice again, but you wouldn't get any change from $4,000 on top of the original purchase price...
tmz_99
Harmful or fatal if swallowed

Re: ...

Post by tmz_99 »

NachoMan wrote:
dirty sanchez wrote:Paradoxx sold his, I think he was after $6500 for it. It had VR4 twin cam, supra 5 spd, FMIC, Haltech, LSD and was supposed to be in excellent condition inside and out. It may not have had 200rwkw, but it can't have been that far off.
It was nice, but it wasn't immaculate. The heater didn't work, and the controls weren't actually installed, the aircon was non-existant, the carpet didn't fit properly because of the wiring loom for the EMS, the paint was a little scratched and chipped here and there, and the rear shocks needed replacing, badly!
Having said that, in the car's original configuration, (before Paradoxx bought it), it had 202 rwKW. It wouldn't have taken much to get the thing looking and feeling nice again, but you wouldn't get any change from $4,000 on top of the original purchase price...
yeah, I am going to come in under 4k for fixing it, that includes quite a few improvements as well as a partial respray etc.., but then again thats just to get it 'tidy' the next stage (for the engine at least) won't be cheap, and won't occur until next year either.... :) (well.. the 2nd stage of the engine build up, this year it will be swtiching cars and the silver car will be returned back to a SOHC, whilst the transfer is being done a small amount of improvements will also be made, but nothing huge)...
But overall it was a good cheap deal and Im very happy with the car...
---------
TVR T350C
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

well well.. i dont know

Im just gonna enlist some help from starion lovers when i go to look at the cars i look at, then get them inspected. Im definatly gonna get a starion the question is can i get a decent one for my money, i mean a 8000 buck starion should have at the very least a totally rebuilt engine, immac inside and out and new tires +3 months rego and some mags on it.

for 4-5 grand i would be looking for engine stock, interiour and exteriour immac, some rego and tires that hold air at the very least :P (on the last one alone it would be better then my scorp just for having tires that hold air :P
1983 JA Staz
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

hey, my starions got all that stuff! plus more :D
_

Post by Chryzla »

your not selling it though :roll:
1983 JA Staz
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

Im up for this challenge.

email me.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

perhaps when i have the money?
1983 JA Staz
skip
Registered Bitch

Post by skip »

I like this thread :)

I had a dilema in January - do I sell and get another car or do I spend 6 or 7k getting it 'nice'. Decided to keep it as JDs are hard to find. Finally got the thing on the road again (been using the gf's Corolla for a year). Have spent 2.5 k getting up to 'original running order' (other than the stupid Bosch plugs making the fecker run rich as all hell :glare: ).

Time to think out loud. Apologies in advance. Current shopping list includes (in rough order):

White dash dials - $70 ;)
3" exhaust & hi flow cat - $1100
Knocking out the dent in the front left panel - A case of beer and bottle of scotch for my two mates ;)
Alpine stero - ~$2000 (cost my mate about $5k less than a year ago, so it's a steal, I can't knock this back as I like my tunes...the Alpine works with my iPod too)
Coltspeed combined front bumper/air dam & side skirts- $600?
Maybe a Microtech ECU after that - $500?
New steering wheel & other minor interior bits (NOT ott rice style of course) - $400

(At this point, I'm not sure what to do next, I'm a bit clueless here. Maybe another grand on the guts...what do you guys reckon should be done? BOV? FCD? Boost controller? )

Shocks/springs - $800?
Wheels - $1500 give or take if I look around. Or should I get the originals machined and polished?
Respray and minor rust removal - $2000 (I made a deal with someone 'in the biz' over a few beers on the weekend ;) )

Shit, that'll make over $10k spent on it over the next two years! :shock:

Maybe I should've bought my workmates 86 Nissan 300ZX (I think that's what it was) for $10k last week :?