why you chose Starion ?

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
filiboy
I like starions

why you chose Starion ?

Post by filiboy »

I want opinions for that reason, I own a starion and I like it, but I wonder why you chose it? For instance you can buy 200sx or rx7 which are easier and cheaper to be tuned, where you can gain much more output than a starion with a solid tuning base ? :beer
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

I bought a starion before we had easily available 180sx, silvias etc.
I'm glad I kept it while I went through the silvia thing. The problem with them is they are so common I've had the s14 for two years and s15 for 3. The main thing about them here is the non turbo ones, there are heaps of them probably 50 to every turbo model and they are cheap. So i just sold them when everyone could buy one.
Also a Silvia until S15 is like a rwd Primera, ugly in and out, actually I can't think of sports type car with such a bland interior, good boot though.
But there are no other rwd turbo 4cylinder cars to buy after the Starion so Silvia it is, still got a few round home (5) including one i've put a RB26dett in
but i only drive a Starion now and hardly ever see any1 else driving one.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
sanderman
[P] Plates

Post by sanderman »

In NZ cars are cheap and just about anyone can have a car with AWD and 200+kw. But I wanted something that was RWD fun to drive and just a bit different. I dont know why but the first thing that came to mind was a Starion. I looked on trade me and by the next morning I owned one. I didn't buy a Starion to be noticed but it sure gets a lot of comments and second looks from people. For its age it is a realy good handling car and if you want it can put out a respectable amount of usable power without a lot of cost. Performance Car did a quarter mile comparison a while ago on five rear wheel drive Jap cars putting out between 200 to 320 rwhp the nearly standard 200zx with 200 hp was the quickest down the strip.
You often see comments on trade me from people looking at Starions, saying they used to own one and the biggest regret they have was selling it. I now own two Starions and cant think of any other cars that I would rather have.
Happiness is a tight Starion!
kit
Enthusiast king

Post by kit »

They have won more production races than the GTR Skyline they are an eighty's icon
1982 Ja single cam 4g63 342.6bhp @ the wheels full show car imaculate
1985 Jb Fully stock original imaculate
2005 Ford Transit Jumbo & 2008 transit mwb
2008 VW Caddy Maxi 2006 hiiace commuter
2010 Toyota pardon kakadu and 2011 hiiace
2010 and 2013 VW Crafter 50 OH
2012 GLX R triton
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

First car was a starion partly because it was a turbo car. I also bought it because it was the bigger better version of the cordia which my dad was the first to drive in Aus. (Car salesman at the time for Mitsi). After that I fell in love with them, and bought a widebody :drool: Mainly because of well everything. You know how it is. I was a little off put by the whole everything keeps breaking thing, but I think that was only because that JA did over 300,000km's. It was getting tired
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Quicker than my warmed over 1600 and came up at the right time for the right price.

Now the other ones....... :roll:
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

It came with the girlfriend/now wife.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
spud
Dorifto!

Post by spud »

I chose mine cause they are rare, factory turbo and I went in redzone's once a while back and it hammered. I also had a sigma with a big turbo a couple of years ago which started me on old mitsubishis.

Thats my story.... :o
....Thundercougarfalconbird
Glen GSR III
guess its me thats broke

Post by Glen GSR III »

my uncle used to have a cordia, and raved on about how he loved it and how much fun he had in it.

The only thing that could have made it better he said was RWD...thats how i got my staz/s
82 GSR III starion (respray nearly complete!)
83 JA Starion...Daily Driver
01 KTM 520 trail bike (reason the staz isnt finished yet)
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

WANTSOM wrote:It came with the girlfriend/now wife.
LOL so BCFH is all Maries fault!!! I knew it. :)
Marc
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Marc »

I'm 24 years old. When i was in highschool.... year 8 or 9 i think ??? my auto shop teacher had one. i remember we had an assignment to sectionise a part of a car. my teacher brought in his ceased turbo from his starion which he had sectionised and explained how a turbocharger works. fell in love with them from then.

also my best mate owned a cordia which i drove around for 3 months while he was overseas... and i loved them as well but wished it was rwd.

finally decided to start looking for one and i got lucky with one that was in pretty good condition at a great price.

i love the look of starions.... kinda like a camaro/delorian/rx7

its a rare car and i love when somebody says what kind of car is that???

rofl
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

5 years ago

When I was 15 I got a 3 second glance at a red car like I had never seen before in a car lot as we passed it on the highway, mum wasnt up for turning around for a better look, so I pestered dad until he agreed to drive me there for a better look.

The place was closed but I took photos. It had, bonnet scoop, popup lights, 2 door, awsome styling, everything I loved and stickers that said turbo (I was clueless to what a turbo was at this stage) I was captivated but neither of us had a clue what it was called as the sales sheet was out of readable range.

Took me a few days to find it by searching under mitsubishi cars, but I knew I had to have one, so despite being 15, dad and I went to look at some with my uncle.
After about a week I came home from school and was handed a page containing a recipt for 1 white JA starion, I was never more shocked in my life.
Course I had to wait 7 months for my L's to even drive it :( that was a killer

But hey, even today i've never wanted another car, the gemini don't count, I just couldnt pass up a whole car for $100.

Dallas
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

I must have been about 16 when i first saw cannonball run, And loved the Stazz over every other car on the movie. Took a while to track one down and wouldn't part with it for anything :wink:
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

I've always loved RWD low slung 2 door sports coupes with there awkward character. I won't bore you with pages of detail but starions fit into that genre perfectly.
The engines are simple yet powerful, there light, they have good handling, there original, they have a good reputation and are a appreciating classic. Those are the facts.
I sold a mk3 capri when I was younger and despite the text book list of problems it had I regret selling it to this day. I'd feel the same if I did the same with a starion. They truly are a cult car.