Starion Drifting???

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
Entaran
I love starions

Starion Drifting???

Post by Entaran »

Following on from the other topic (kicked off starquest...)

If I put this motor in a starion (which is a possibility) and considering I have absolutely ZERO knowledge of drifting/etc....

What's required to be changed?

Keep in mind I already have a 3.5 LSD, short shifter and an _extremely_ powerful engine.

Does anything in the driveline like to break lots that I should replace before I get started?

Can you get a full set of ADJUSTABLE coilovers for a starion? What's the price on these? (DMS coilovers are INSANELY expensive or were for a VR4 anyway).

Anything else anyone would like to throw my way?

merlin has perked my interest.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

The biggest problem with the starion is the lack of struts to run hard springs with, which really limits how well the car handles on the track in my opinion.

I was, and still am working with d2 to get full coilovers made for the a187 starion, but from what i understand the front angle on the struts are different on the narrow body cars. Possibly it wouldnt really matter since the front will be ground control style anyways.

Anyhow, if you can find some good strong stuff struts and some good springs, you should be able to do real good.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

I suppose I could bitch at whiteline...

or hotbits.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

there are a few people over here that have interchanged widebody struts with narrow bodies and have had no probs. i myself am doing this shortly so will let u know for sure how things pan out. i bought the 5 stud conversion/diff/6 bolt cv`s/bigger brakes/front struts from nxtime, am putting the whole shooting match in my jb.

it is easy as to convert to narrow diameter/coilover style springs on a starion, using adjustable height platforms available from justabout anywhere. the thing that u need with a drift car is DAMPER ADJUSTMENT of bump and rebound, so thats where u need off the shelf coil overs like tein/cusco/D2 etc, but pretty much no one makes em yet, apart from the above mentioned DMS, like incar phil has fitted to his car (over $4000 i believe)

i might try lobbying D2 from over here too, there sure as shit is a market for starion coilovers!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

I didn't have any trouble drifting mine....Nice set of stiff springs and stiff shocks....Really stiff swaybars....

Power it up, and slide your way to heaven :D:D
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
chunkhead
Mmmmm, I love rice

Post by chunkhead »

Cons yellow JA drifts quite successfully! Don't think you'd need to spend massive money!

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ft&start=0
Gone V8 Hunting: Be Back In Seconds!

For Sale:
Xbox/360/Wii Mods Now Available
rallidave
Enthusiast king

Post by rallidave »

pro flex coil overs top of the line, the shit :D
85 JB 4g63 SOHC
94 EVO2 4g63 DOHC
i wanna go fast
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

I've used DMS, Proflex etc... all too pricey for what i'm going to do with the car.

I really can't justify 1200 dollars a corner.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Noltec sell a coil over kit that you use to change your existing struts to. Then use a Koni shock - adjustable ones - to control rebound. King springs make a wide range of springs to suit and wullah you have your suspension sorted. Chuck in some Noltec urethane bushes to tighten the whole thing up and maybe a stiffer sway bar f&r.

Same as my track car setup.

All up less than $3K. Shocks being be the big ticket item.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

If you really want to get into drifting...

Get a 180sx, Silvia, R32 etc... drift parts, panels, suspension and engines cheap and are in abundant supply... http://www.initialdrift.com.au/

Keep the starion for a unique street car, drag it, race it but I would not drift it... that's my 2 cents...
1985 JB Starion #157
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

you can do your own coil overs like the guys on starquest do get the tops and kyb agx mr2 struts from oscar. cheap aswell, you can get coil over tops and adjustable shocks for under a grand landed here.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

If I wanted to drift a nissan I would.

If I wanted to build ANOTHER high powered 2.0 litre engine, I would.

But I don't.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

There has been an issue with oscars kit cracking, but its a offroad kit, so thats what to expect I guess.

Any info on the koni strut? How do they compare to the agx? I need some struts soon, so im curious. As I dont believe the usdm has a koni option.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I have the Koni shock part number at home. Will look it up for you.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

awesome, how adjustable are they, in and out?
80's Hero