Happy Birthday 2 Me

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
karupt
Newcomer

Post by karupt »

oh love the scepticism and sarcasm.. :)

That exact dyno is the dyno used by the highest HP 2 rotary at the summernats.. not to mention the dyno was run in shootout mode

Taken from www.dynodynamics.com.au
The ShootOut system is not just a hardware or software upgrade – it is a standardised approach to power measurement, designed to ensure that you can take your car to any accredited workshop and get accurate power measurements. The results will be the same regardless of which ShootOut accredited workshop you select.
So I fail to see the validity of your post.. ?

How about giving credit where credit is due ? instead of nit picking every fine detail.. She posted her printouts to show everyone what her car has done.. not to gloat and claim to have the highest horespower starion in australia..
'92 Subaru Liberty Rs/Ra
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

karupt wrote:That exact dyno is the dyno used by the highest HP 2 rotary at the summernats..
Well that fills me with confidence.
karupt wrote:So I fail to see the validity of your post.. ?
The validity of my posts stem from the fact that I have had a bit of experience with Starion engines. Back in 1994 I had Ron at Coltspeed install and tune an Motec M4 ecu on my car. At the same time the car was converted to MPI and the boost was raised to 14psi. The result? 160hp (119kw) at the wheels according to that particular dyno. The engine was otherwise basically stock with a 2.5" exhaust and a TC06 turbo.

Davidh (Merlin) runs a DASH engine in his Starion. Haltech injection. Nice sized intercooler. He has upped the boost as well. Im not sure on internal specifics. The result 130kw at the wheels according to the dyno he used.

Now what are we doing wrong? If the dyno figures are to be believed then we could have saved our money on silly things like DASH motors and MoTeC's and MPI as they haven't seemed to helped much.
karupt wrote:How about giving credit where credit is due ? instead of nit picking every fine detail.. She posted her printouts to show everyone what her car has done.. not to gloat and claim to have the highest horespower starion in australia..
Don't misunderstand my point. LxS is a great person. Im not having a go at her at all. Far from it. She has one of the best looking Starions around.. no questions. I know she didn't post this to claim she has a powerful Starion. But people reading this forum should understand what a realistic power figure is.

121kw at the wheels for a standard engine with a TC05 seems too high from my experience. Im not saying it's a huge exaggeration. It just doesn't 'feel right' to me.

But at the end of the day what does it matter what the printout says? It doesn't change how the car actually goes. I would be interested to see what sort of times it would do down the 1/4.

Good luck with it and Happy Birthday LxS. Your car looks great!
10sec_rx7
Newcomer

Post by 10sec_rx7 »

Cookiemonster wrote:I know which dyno I'll be going to next time I need a power run.
come along give it a try,

i was the operator of the dyno on Alexis' runs,

if you think the dyno is innacurate think again, it is less than 6 months old, has all the latest software, correctly calabrated shoot out 04 mode, our workshop is a authorised shootout workshop,

all the correct steps were taken, air temp probe placed in correct location, dyno room temps entered into the computer, you wont get a more accurate reading....

my car made 461hp on this dyno before summernats, we went to canberra pulled out some boost and ran 444, then put the boost back in and went 463hp, and they were brand new twin retarder units. so its accurate as long as the correct procedures are followed,

in the 200 odd cars i have dynoed i have seen some strange shit happen....

Dale
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

I'm going to add my bit in here and ask if this particular "shootout mode" figure of 121rwkw can be converted back into engine hp. It would save all this pointless speculation, especially since all the other RW dyno figures have nothing to do with that particular mode.
10sec_rx7
Newcomer

Post by 10sec_rx7 »

you can roughly work it out by using drive train losses etc most people believe the 15% so 121kw is roughly 157hp, which is roughly 180hp at the flywheel,

shootout mode can only be used by authorised and trained workshops, 80% of the workshops out there dont have shootout mode and can eaisly fudge the figures, when in shootout mode the computer is locked you cannot change a thing, there for no fudging can happen.

Dale
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Cool, thanks Dale. Problem solved :smokin
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Welcome to forums Dale.

Sorry if I insulted your dyno. Those comments were made tonque in cheek.. don't take me too serioulsy. ;)

I do have some idea of what sort of power can be expected from Starion engines. 120 rwkw is an above average figure for us lowly Starion owners which is the reason I raised an eyebrow.

Again Im not trying to rile people up here. Just trying to get accurate information presented.

To the 1/4 mile people! To the 1/4 mile!
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

1/4 mile implies people can drive..... rofl . Miss a gear and there goes your time.

Dyno day, same conditions, same operator, same machine....
Dyno is probably a bit easier on the car too.

Just my 2 bits worth.

So what else did you get for your B'day LxS?
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

Alspos wrote:1/4 mile implies people can drive..... rofl . Miss a gear and there goes your time.
Then we won't let you drive Al.

You can't ban me.. right?
10sec_rx7
Newcomer

Post by 10sec_rx7 »

cookie,

bring your car down and we will put it on the rollers and see what it makes,

we are having a small dyno day on the 3rd if your interested to come along,

we have had a few starions on the dyno and they all make pretty good power, most of the others have had different turbos and ecu's tho,

dale
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

At this time my car is presently non-functional.

I reckon 4 out of 5 people of this board have Starions that aren't going anywhere fast. :)
10sec_rx7
Newcomer

Post by 10sec_rx7 »

hahah i know that feeling,

my cars been out once since summernats!

Dale
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

I have a faded memory of driving the car in November.

Perhaps we can organise a forum dyno-day with you in the future, Dale. When everyone has their Starions going.
10sec_rx7
Newcomer

Post by 10sec_rx7 »

yeh no problem at all

Alexis has my contact details and im never too far away!

Dale
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

RE:

Post by SIRIUS »

all i can say each time i see your car is DAMN!...it is a credit to ya...so is that dyno sheet...it doesnt seem like there is anything wrong with the dyno the figure sounds about right...lookis like you have done the same mods as me but you have port n polsih head an more boost...
i made 101rwkw on standard boost standard head sooo...
anyways happy bday an conrats...
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------