Opinion on turbo set ups

A place for general discussion. Catch up with mates, post pics, or if you just want to pick on e-thugs.
mrcordial
I like starions more

Opinion on turbo set ups

Post by mrcordial »

Hey guys, sorry if this has been covered before, did a search and didn't really find what i was looking for.

Has anyone got a T3 turbo on there starion? if so how does it perform, full boost in 1st gear? is there much lag? and how does it compare to your old turbo (tc06?)

Reason i ask is i'm currently rebuilding a dash engine to go into my cordia turbo, and i only have a highflowed TC05 at the moment which i'm looking to upgrade soonish.

Also noticed that a few people are runing T04's on their starions. Has anyone got any dyno figures with using this turbo? and how does it relate to the questions asked above? when does it start to boost and full boost etc?

Thanks for any info guys.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

turbo

Post by Starion VR4 »

Ok, the tO4 turbos every1 is refering 2 is a T3 turbine with a T4 compressor cover & wheel, depending on which exhaust housing & comp houseing u have, most start boosting at 2000-2500 with a 0.86exhaust. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

My turbo made boost at 2,200 and full boost by 3,500-3800 - T04 with 60mm comp wheel and 54mm exhuast wheel with 0.70 a/r rear. Standard cam.

I would use a BB turbo, maybe a GT28 series. How much power do you want?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
mrcordial
I like starions more

Post by mrcordial »

Oh yeah, thanks for that guys. Sounds good.

NXTIME - the engines getting forged so i was looking at running about 20psi thru a T3 turbo. How well did your car go with the T04 mate? i know this is a stupid question but, how quick was it?

I'd really want around the 200FWKW mark but i'd be quite pleased with around the 170FWKW mark.

Thanks guys appreciate it :)
SIR GSR
Loose Cannon

Post by SIR GSR »

Mine is a T04....Not a T3 turbine with a T4 compressor cover & wheel....
KBS Drift Team
0409 487 321
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

mrcordial,

It hit hard when boost came on but held flat and power dropped off after 4500 due to stock camshaft. Have fun with torque steer in a FWD ;) It went well, but I don't have any solid performace figures as I didn't get to the track. I would guess that it was capable of easy 12's. However, while the engine set ups may be similar, the car's are quite different so performance won't necessarly be the same. Don't know what you have done to your engine - compression, head work, ecu turbo specs, etc. You should be able to achieve that power easy enough with a 2L and the right mods.

Also, as for dyno figures, I believe thata T04 is too big and you could get away with a much smaler and more responsive turbo whilst still achieving your desired power figure. For a FWD car, a more responsive torque curve is more desirable than one with lag and hits harder. I made 165RWKW on 14 psi with power limited at 4500rpm with my to4. However, there have ben plenty of others that have made this power with a less laggy turbo such as a Mitsubishi TC/TD series turbo.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

200kw is pointless in a FWD car. my mates VR4 powered cordia is bad enough with the vr4 being stock. once he changes the turbo, all hell will break loose. it basically changes lanes on its own....
1983 JA Staz
mrcordial
I like starions more

Post by mrcordial »

NXTIME - thanks for that mate, exactly what i was looking for :)
The TO4 doesn't sound too bad. With the power drop after 4500rpm, what sort of cam would be suited to prevent this from happening? would a re-grind for a higher rev range be suited?

Looks like you still made pretty good power with the drop off at 4500rpm.

I was thinking of using the highflowed tc05 to run in the engine once it's built then putting on a bigger turbo. I really wouldn't mind a T04 by the sounds of it, providing it had the right a/r's and pulled all the way to red line. Starting to boost around 2.5grand rpm doesn't sound too bad.

Chryzla - i know what you mean, they do have quite bad torque steer when they are putting down some good power hey :wink:

Thanks for that guys, just looking at my options :)
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

scares the crap out of me mate lol
1983 JA Staz
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

I would suggest a TD05-16G or bigger; or a Garret ball bearing in the GT 28 range. A GT25 would even get you that power.
Last edited by NXTIME on Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

I'v pretty much got the same setup that charlie mentioned t4front t3rear boost starts at 2500 and is full by just before 4000 power lasts all the way to 6 due to cam regrind power was 150rwkw (200 hp) with faulty coil and leaking ic piping,bov.
delivery is fun but pretty savage though so on a fwd i'd expect it to put you in the next lane every time i'd agree with the 2835 bb choice or even a gtrs for street driving.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
digitalsko
I've been here before

Post by digitalsko »

ok i got a T3 on my JA... well its actually sitting in the front seat but anyway, full boost 15psi at 3900rpm and held all the way to 6500 maybe a bit further but didnt rev it higher than that.
ill find out what turbine size and all that is for ya... ive got 2 T3's so i mite even have one for sale if u interested...
TWIMCAM BOY
I like starions more

Post by TWIMCAM BOY »

hey my brother in law has a twimcam cc lancer with a t3 rear .48ar with a t4 front with a 59mm wheel it makes 259fwhp at 19pd with standard cams and it comes on around 2000 2500 and pulls all the way to 6800 it is quite a quick car but has no traction till about 120ish
GO HARD OR GO HOME
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

we have a t03 from a commodore VL turbo on the white tarmac staz, its on 15 psi by 3000rpm in 4th gear. will pull 15psi by 3500 in first. its a good choice for response, better than a tc06, tho this can partly be attributed to the nice steampipe exhaust manifold pointing the gas in the right direction!

as mentioned its stock VL spec, would acheive your horsepower target with a T04 compressor wheel installed..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
mrcordial
I like starions more

Post by mrcordial »

Awesome, sounds good guys. I would love to go something like a GT28 nxtime but funds don't seem to support me on that one :? so the T3 or T04's seem to be more appropiate for the moment.

digitalsko - That sounds pretty good mate, what are you chasing for one of your T3's? are you using a new mainfold or a adaptor plate?

Thanks again guys